An alternative selling point for F1 to car companies.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
kilcoo316

An alternative selling point for F1 to car companies.

At the start line you are given 5000 MJ (~ equal to 100kgs/125 litres of fuel) to cover the race distance.

Do so as fast as you can. First to the chequered flag wins.

The energy can be stored as chemical energy (be that petrol/hydrogen/charged acids etc) or kinetic energy (flywheels etc) or whatever.

You can do whatever you need to do to use that 5000 MJ most efficiently.

Immediately, car manufacturers can look at F1 as a real, applicable "pure" R&D exersize as well as an advertising one.

(Note that the 5000 MJ starting point can be reduced as needs be to keep overall car speeds down - you could go for a draconian 2500 MJ to start with!)

CMSMJ1

Re: An alternative selling point for F1 to car companies.

Why would we watch 1itre IL4 turbos? Or any kind of limited series?

I agree that a given fuel weight and open regs is a god call..but it is ont F1.

The manufacturers can use WTCC for selling road cars and Prototype for designs related to them.

F1 should be fast, brave and mostly unrelated to the manufactures....it used to be...so whya re we so keen to bring them back?

They'll only leave again....
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

machin

This is basically the approach proposed by the FIA in a recent press release that is on one of the other threads on here; that engine output should be limited by the maximum amount of fuel carried rather than by restricting air flow/revs/boost etc as per the current arrangements used in nearly all forms of motorsport. I like the new proposal!

However... Qualifying could be interesting! If the rule is "you can have 10 litres for qualifying" then you could use all 10 litres in one lap (2800BHP?!) or do 4 laps with 700bhp(ish)? So I think that needs to be looked at......
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

machin

CMSMJ1 wrote:Why would we watch 1itre IL4 turbos? Or any kind of limited series?
But you watch F1 at the moment I presume? Its a limited series... engine capacity, and revs are limited so you could say that this suggestion actually OPENS up the rule book to mamy different types of engine configuration!

(What's wrong with turbocharged IL4 engines???!!!! They sound pretty sweet in a race-prepared Mitsubish Evo!)
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

CMSMJ1

A n/a V8 sounds better than an IL4 turbo...

Any n/a car sounds better than a turbo...

A field of turbos on a school run to save fuel would be boring... would be rubbish to listen to and boring to watch.

F1 cars are brutal and noisy beasts - the banging on the over run is enough to feel in your ribcage. The scream at high revs is enough to wonder if your skull can take it.

I have followed since 1985...seen the turbos come and go.

Nothing beats a screaming n/a engine..v12, V10.

Anything that is raw and you know was made with passion and flair.

We are missing the point by a long way I think.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

ISLAMATRON

CMSMJ1 wrote:Nothing beats a screaming n/a engine..v12, V10.

Complete and utter Bullshit! Turbos allways beat N/A... Even stupid ass Ferrari had to admit it and finally switched to turbo.

Who cares what the silly N/A V12 & V10's sounded like? The only time I would hear them is when a Turbo car was coming up to lap them.

1.5L Turbo destroyed the V12's and then they lowered the amount of fuel allowed for the turbos and they still destroyed them.

You are missing the point... N/A has been obsolete for 30 years.

This is not American Idol... I dont care how they sound or how loud they are, who is the fastest... that is what F1 is about, and F1 is definatly not about old ass obsolete technology.

Open up the regs today to turbos and see how many teams stick with N/A... not 1 would.

The Turbos sounded great, maybe not as loud but they didnt sound bad... if you want loud go to a rock concert and stand next to the speakers, most of us watch F1 for racing and technology.

Pup
Pup

Yeah, the only drawback to turbos is the sound.

But you get flames! So, its a win in my book.

Seriously, though, FLAMES!

No, really, tho the flames are cool, a formula based on limited fuel has a ton of win about it. There's better marketing for the teams, a green image for the sport, interest for the fans, variety, a better chance for upsets from some little team with a good idea, and the chance for simpler rules.

And flames.

Simple. Elegant.

Shaddock

Pup wrote:Yeah, the only drawback to turbos is the sound.

But you get flames! So, its a win in my book.

Seriously, though, FLAMES!

No, really, tho the flames are cool, a formula based on limited fuel has a ton of win about it. There's better marketing for the teams, a green image for the sport, interest for the fans, variety, a better chance for upsets from some little team with a good idea, and the chance for simpler rules.

And flames.

Simple. Elegant.
You get flames with non-turbo engines as well.

You just need a good overlap on the cams and a non direct injection fuel system.

CMSMJ1

ISLAMATRON wrote:

Complete and utter Bulls <snip>
Whoa there..., calm down :shock:

sounds are what I was talking about.

If the turbos are implemented for their outright performance, rather than efficiency as small engines then I am there. Book me in.

If we have a choce between 800bhp n/a or 800bhp turbos then n/a for me please

I am talking about a fuel formula style engine..totally sterile.

on the flames subject - Oh yes.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

Scotracer

CMSMJ1 wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:

Complete and utter Bulls <snip>
Whoa there..., calm down :shock:

sounds are what I was talking about.

If the turbos are implemented for their outright performance, rather than efficiency as small engines then I am there. Book me in.

If we have a choce between 800bhp n/a or 800bhp turbos then n/a for me please

I am talking about a fuel formula style engine..totally sterile.

on the flames subject - Oh yes.
Finally someone gets it =D>
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

timbo

kilcoo316 wrote:Immediately, car manufacturers can look at F1 as a real, applicable "pure" R&D exersize as well as an advertising one.
I believe that only advertising counts. Even if they advertise thru their technology.

kilcoo316

timbo wrote:I believe that only advertising counts.
Long past time that was changed.

Some of the best minds in the world work in F1, the pace of developement is white hot.

It should be directed to have cascading effects through the transport industry (and potentially further afield).

timbo

kilcoo316 wrote:Long past time that was changed.

Some of the best minds in the world work in F1, the pace of developement is white hot.

It should be directed to have cascading effects through the transport industry (and potentially further afield).
Development in F1 would always cost much more. There's no point to test anything in F1, it's just so far from anything roadgoing.

CMSMJ1

I don't see the link as to why the car companies must be involved at all..

Anyone care to elaborate on why?

@ Scotracer - =D> You know it!
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM