Tutorial recomendations for Fluent, Star-CCM, ANSYS CFD???

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PNSD

Tutorial recomendations for Fluent, Star-CCM, ANSYS CFD???

Hi, as the title suggests is there anyone here who could recomend easy reading short tutorials to each of these products? Thankfully the objected being tested is not of great complexity. What ive read so far have been rather large tutorials which dont start at the basics.

Also, which of the products would be easist to learn (in your opinions)? Ive played around with ANSYS but not a great deal - Is it the same as Star-CCM?

Simply a wing... Which brings me onto a second request, what is the best way to get a NACA 5-digit aerofoil into say Solidworks or Catia? Ive tried the demo of DesignFOIL but its limited to 4-digit, without the ability to change chord length.

Any help would be great. Thankyou.

flynfrog

Re: Tutorial recomendations for Fluent, Star-CCM, ANSYS CFD???

to get it into SW you would use a program to export the points to excel then import the point table into SW then I usually draw a spline between the points.

Its been a while but I can come up with a better how too when I get home if you need.

kilcoo316

PNSD wrote:Simply a wing... Which brings me onto a second request, what is the best way to get a NACA 5-digit aerofoil into say Solidworks or Catia? Ive tried the demo of DesignFOIL but its limited to 4-digit, without the ability to change chord length.
Done that in MATLAB in the past.

Not too hard to write a code to scale the aerofoil, put sweep and twist on a wing and put on an angle of attack or displacement for multi element wings.

Unfortunately, I don't have the m-files anymore... I think... but it shouldn't be too hard to make your own code.

PNSD

Thanks for the quick replies.

Sticky - Ive checked out those links before, but will have a deeper search. The CFD-Online seems to be producing best results.

Flynfrog - Ive managed to import a curve using XYZ points (with Z as all 0's). Not too sure how I can extrude the object after that though?

kilcoo316 - Ill have a search around and play around with Matlab, im sure someone on the internet would have thought of it :)! Thanks!

flynfrog

I usually make the points a reference then draw a spline constrained to the points. Then just extrude.

PNSD

If you dont mind, could you provide a step-by-step guide to your process please? Dont quite follow and my method is not working. Thanks :)!

flynfrog

does this help

PNSD

Sorry, my specific issue is how could I import the points from the excel table?

flynfrog

PNSD wrote:Sorry, my specific issue is how could I import the points from the excel table?
Its in the same window as when you imported the curve by using points. I am at work right now so I cant tell you the exact comands. If I get a chance tonight I will check for you.

flynfrog

my bad I told you wrong you do import a curve from points then just attach a spline to the curve in a sketch. They maybe a project geometry command its been a few years since Ive used SW

fastback33

flynfrog, can you export those points to excel as well? I'm assuming yes but, thought I'd ask. If you could post a step by step process that would be helpful for not only one of us! :D =D>

PNSD

Another quick question...

Ive been trying to search for a quick tutorial for grid generation and meshing in STAR-CCM+. The intention is to model in 2d the intended wing. Using a curve through XYZ points i have the wing with the correct chord length but the problem now is trying to generate a grid and mesh for it so that a simulation can be run.

Ive been reading that STAR-CCM+ is not best for 2d modelling as it is intended for 3d modelling, but first goal is to complete a 2d simulation then do a 3d simulation time and myself permitting! Thanks for any assistance :)

Hugocis

Hi everybody

Could someone tell me how good or bad is STAR CCM+ for those who know

Thank you for answering