Button signs for Mclaren

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
astracrazy
astracrazy

Button signs for Mclaren

http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3 ... 08,00.html

Surprised no on has posted yet, but i just come across this

Confused_Andy
Confused_Andy

Re: Button signs for Mclaren

See silly season 2010 thread.

And no he hasnt... http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3 ... 54,00.html

axle
axle

Agrees does not = signs.

As above, this is covered elsewhere.
- Axle

raceman

WRONG MOVE FOR BUTTON

he will learn it the hard way

whiplash

Biggest mistake of his life

JamesS
JamesS

WhiteBlue

It is strange to say the least. Brawn clearly wanted Button but he was held up by the German side to cut a deal. Haug must be destracted by another opportunity which can only involve a German star driver. Both possible opportunities look very unlikely at the moment and Haug may regret his priorities later.

McLaren sensed that and moved in to make a kill. The big question is if two Brits can sort out their on track rivalry better than a mixture of latin talent. Hamilton will be pleased to get a team mate with high technical skills in setting up the car. But what will happen when his instinct for wins at any price puts him to the test? This is the lie gate team. Are they going to give Jenson fair play all the way? Or will there be subtle things that only go wrong for Jenson?

I fear that both Haug and Jenson could have made a mistake of not talking enough.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

xpensive
xpensive

Perhaps Schumacher is the only way Haug could convince the Mercedes board to actually increase F1 spending,
when everybody else is going the other way, to re-unite the dream-team?

Difference is Todt as FIA-Prez this time, but that is perhaps not a disadvantage either.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

timbo
timbo

WhiteBlue wrote:Hamilton will be pleased to get a team mate with high technical skills in setting up the car.
Who actually used Barichello's setups not that seldom. Is Hamilton that bad at setting up his car?

axle
axle

Eddie Jordan is quoted as saying Merc told Button to get another job...
Pundits however remain unconvinced that Button’s McLaren move is the correct one with Eddie Jordan claiming that the 2009 champion may have had no choice other than the McLaren option.

“We’re all assuming that Jenson had the opportunity to drive at Brawn,” began former team boss turned BBC pundit. “I don’t believe that is the case and my inside information is that (new team owners of Brawn) Mercedes released him and advised him to seek employment elsewhere.”
Last edited by axle on 18 Nov 2009, 16:40, edited 2 times in total.
- Axle

WhiteBlue

xpensive wrote:Perhaps Schumacher is the only way Haug could convince the Mercedes board to actually increase F1 spending, when everybody else is going the other way, to re-unite the dream-team?
I'm very sceptical of Sylt's figures this time. They are certainly inaccurate on the McLaren revenue side. Merc have typically spend 150-200 mil$ from own cash and associated sponsors with McLaren for half the drivers salaries and the car development cost. That was usually on par with what Ferrari spent and most likely what Brawn spent for the 2009 car. Brawn just spend it earlier while McLaren had tremendous costs in season to develop the 2008 and 2009 cars.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

WhiteBlue

axle wrote:Eddie Jordan is quoted as saying Merc told Button to get another job...
strange, I saw the interview. he must have said that for back ground if that is correct at all.

Pup
Pup

WhiteBlue wrote:
xpensive wrote:Perhaps Schumacher is the only way Haug could convince the Mercedes board to actually increase F1 spending, when everybody else is going the other way, to re-unite the dream-team?
I'm very sceptical of Sylt's figures this time. They are certainly inaccurate on the McLaren revenue side. Merc have typically spend 150-200 mil$ from own cash and associated sponsors with McLaren for half the drivers salaries and the car development cost. That was usually on par with what Ferrari spent and most likely what Brawn spent for the 2009 car. Brawn just spend it earlier while McLaren had tremendous costs in season to develop the 2008 and 2009 cars.
Sylit almost always comes across as a moron. His latest is, imo, the best example yet of why no respectable publication should be buying his garbage.

freedom_honda

As a Button fan I am MASSIVELY disappointed. But having said that, if Brawn really is only offering him 4.5-6m, then I sort of understand why Button chose to leave. I mean Kimi's salary was £27.35m, Alonso and Hamilton salary were about £10m, yet the latest Champion is only getting 6M? That's just ridiculous.

However I afraid next year Button won't be able to beat Hamilton. Not that I doubt his ability, but McLaren IS Hamilton's team, thats no doubt about it. And Hamilton and Button have two very different driving style. With the 2010 car already in production, it is unlikely that the 2010 car will suit Button perfectly like it would at Brawn.

I think Button see McLaren as an opportunity, to beat Hamilton in the same car and shut the media up. And I bloody hope he can.

ringo

I don't believe a car can't be adaptable to suit another driver.
I think Jenson would do fine. As a LH fan i am a little worried, not about his speed, he is clear slower than LH, but his lack of mistakes. Lewis is prone to make mistakes while pushing hard; monaco 2009 #-o
Lewis seemed to mature last year so maybe there will be less mishaps, but with guys like Massa and Alonso back at the front, he will have hell to pay.
I hope Button and Lewis are able to support each other against the Ferraris. Alonso is thirsty for blood after 2 years without a proper car.
For Sure!!