Lewis Hamilton's technical Level?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PlatinumZealot

Lewis Hamilton's technical Level?

Did he learn this from Alonso? or was it just his own curiosity? Here Lewis talks about how he helped with the development of the MP4-24.

I "stole" this from a user, "jjcale" from Planet F1 forum.
jjcale wrote:This is an excerpt from this month’s F1 Racing magazine. The article is by Bradley Lord. LH’s direct quotes are in bold.
Its no surprise that Hamilton’s infectious enthusiasm is most apparent when he’s talking about what he knows and loves best: being a racing driver. And, to his mind, being the most complete racing driver out there.

The early part of the close season is an annual watershed within an F1 team, when fresh hope once more springs eternal. “It’s probably the most exciting part of the year for me” says Hamilton. “This year at least ...” he adds with a twinkle in his eye. “I go down to and look at the new car and I’m excited when I look at it.” But don’t all new cars look good in November? He laughs. “I don’t look at it and say, ‘That’s a world beater.’ I think ‘How can I make it better?’ and I literally try to work like an engineer.”
This level of involvement is rare; its one thing to have a driver who can give good feedback and who galvanises the team. But another entirely to have on who wants to get down to nitty-gritty of what the designers do. It’s a risk too...

“I spend a lot of time with my aerodynamicists, questioning them, and I’m sure they look at me and go, ‘He’s just a driver, what’s he talking about?’” smiles Lewis. “But I have a proven understanding of the engineering of my car. This year, I was responsible for one of the upgrades that brought us three points of downforce in Spa. We didn’t really perform that weekend, but it stayed on the carfor the rest of the year and it helped. It was something I forced and got put on the car, and it was better, and it was great. You know, I was going to put my signature on it...”

And regarding the 2010 car he says a few interesting this but this jumps off the page:

“I can get away with asking the questions because I am the driver. With some things they’ll say, ‘Actually, your right,’ and I’ve got to continue doing that. I really feel I’m having more input into my car than others are in their car in other teams.”
IMO If anyone believes this spin from Macca that the car is going to be neutral and not the Ham-mobile, they have another thing coming.

Also there was no mention of LH's new teammate in the interview... either it was done before or LH is continuing to "blank" JB in the press. See the Bild interview commented on by Crash.net and in another thread on here.
Never mind the poster's theory about the cars being skewed to Hamilton (so what? lol :roll:). Is Hamilton trying to show that he has a technical side? even to the level of Rosberg (highest technical test score ever at Williams), Heidfeld, Barichello and Alonso?

It is interesting how the team obeyed his request to actually build and use a certain part design against their own intentions. I wonder what lead Hamilton to believe that part would give a performance boost...
Last edited by Giblet on 02 Feb 2012, 06:10, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Lost the 'lol' in title.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

mep

Re: Lewis Hamilton's technical Level? lol

“But I have a proven understanding of the engineering of my car. This year, I was responsible for one of the upgrades that brought us three points of downforce in Spa. We didn’t really perform that weekend, but it stayed on the carfor the rest of the year and it helped. It was something I forced and got put on the car, and it was better, and it was great. You know, I was going to put my signature on it...”
What is he talking about?
Since when is downforce measured in points :wtf:
Can anybody explain what this means in Newton’s?

DanyalDenyo

Alonso has his six-tenths, Hamilton has three points. Wonder what Button will come up with :lol:

Nice thread btw. =D> :D

Giblet

"A point" is just a generic unit, usually a percentage. He is talking a unit that doesn't give anything away, as we are not privy to the teams math and measurements.

So that part delivered 3% more down force, or brought 3 "points" of downforce to the whole car.

Seems kind simple and common.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

thestig84

Teams always talk about downforce in terms of points. Look at these official Mclaren videos. The 2nd video Pat Fry mentions adding 30 points of downforce

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2009/08/06/h ... rst-video/

timd

Yup ive heard about them talking about points of downforce for some time.

At the begining of the car they predict the points of downforce a car has with regulations. From that they just count up or down. If they count a lot up ( too much) then they under predicted at last season what was capable or just plain gained a lot:)

It is important that at evey stage you identify any weakness. Just being good mid season but lacking at the start is something you should be able to project manage out :)

They will have all the data. Even the weakest teams should have this covered.

tc9604

If that is an official quote from Lewis then what a shame their journalists can't handle spelling and grammar.

you could paint me paypaya orange and pay me £50k pa, i would at least put out readable press releases.

Wouldn't normally be so pedantic but I really think their PR girl should learn the difference between "your" and "you are". What was she employed for? Tea making?

(For americans, the use of the female gender was ironic not chauvinistic. Please don't sue me just because your sister's cousin's former flatmate is an ambulance chaser.)

Giblet

People make mistakes.

I'm sure she knows the difference, she probably types at 120 WPM, and the spell checker left no red underlines....

Your post isn't a press release, so it's not important, but proper capitalization and punctuation could also be picked on pretty easily.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Ciro Pabón

tc9604 wrote:Wouldn't normally be so pedantic but I really think their PR girl should learn the difference between "your" and "you are". What was she employed for? Tea making?
Sorry to join the fray, tc9604 (and welcome to the forum! I hadn't had the chance). I just want to add that you also missed several mistakes. ;)

Normally you say "contagious", instead of "infectious". The later is used to qualify diseases, as far as I know.

"And, to his mind, being the most..." is a fragment that starts with "And".

It's not "close season", but "closing season".

The text "its one thing..." is wrong, of course. You should write "it's one thing..."

I prefer "galvanizes" to "galvanises", the word comes from italian "galvanizare", but, hey... american english converts most "izes" into "ises". When you "think" in a latin language it seems awful, but maybe it's just my taste.

The phrase that starts with "But another entirely to have..." is wrong in so many ways that I don't know where to begin: you don't use "But" at the begining of a phrase, you use "However". "But" is a coordinating conjuction, a word used to join two consecutive phrases. "However" is a conjuctive adverb, used to contrast an independent phrase with another. Secondly, you cannot use "another" alone: "another" what? I would have written "However, it's an entirely different thing to have..."

I would have said "the nitty gritty". Again, it's perhaps a matter of taste.

Finally, I think Mr. Hamilton meant to say "I'm giving more input into my car..." instead of "I'm having more input into my car", altough that phrase, whatever the form, seems horrible. Perhaps he meant "I'm giving more input to my car" or, better yet, "I'm giving more input to the engineers of my car". Whatever, we don't appreciate him for his grammar or, at least, I don't.

English is not my mother tongue (phew!), so maybe I'm making more mistakes than the ones I'm pointing to. ;)

Oh, and it's "papaya", not "paypaya". Ok, yes, that's just a joke: I promess I won't delve into your post, this one is already too long, so don't delve into mine. You can talk only about Giblet's, pretty please. ;)

Anyway, if you do, I'll talk to my sister's cousin former flatmate and she will track you down, along with the other girls in the Colombian Grammar Police Force... :D
Ciro

mx_tifoso

Fread.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

tahadar

Didnt rosberg have the option of going to uni instead of going to GP2?

raceman

:lol:

funniest thread!

lewis hamilton's technical level... ha :? #-o

casper

On-track driving skills can be augmented by training in videogames like Playstation's Gran Turismo. In this article, http://www.dailytech.com/Champion+Gran+ ... e17035.htm, the winner of the world Sony PS Gran Turismo video game tourament wnet on to win a real car race. Considering that Mclaren has the best simulator in F1, it is significant to help improve on-track driving technique per racetrack conditions.

wesley123

raceman wrote::lol:

funniest thread!

lewis hamilton's technical level... ha :? #-o
yh you know alot about hamiltons technical level...

dont know what you are b*tching about, but didn't schumi do similair things? a normal driver gives his input about how the car handles to his engineer, so why it is a problem with hamilton, i dont know. Why couldn't hamilton have any technical knowledge? because he's black? i guess so, since he is in f1 everyone is b*tching about him how 'aroogant' he is etc. but none of it is really proven and every time he gives an interview he seems a nicer person then most of the other drivers.
It is probably just that none of you guys can actually take that a black person has technical knowledge, and can drive well.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

axle

A driver will be required to give his input about what he needs to drive faster, more front end grip, a more stable rear etc etc.

I doubt Lewis can tell them what to make but I bet he can choose from numerous design routes the one that will best enable him to get the results fot the team.

I expect that was the truth behind that unsubstantiated quote...not that he drew a part on a bit of paper and said "'ere lads make this and it'll go well fast!!" :)
- Axle