Poll over: MSC will officially come back.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Will Michael Schumacher make a come back

Yes, with Mercedes Grand Prix 2010
48%
Yes, with Ferrari if they get a third car
2%
NO, he will stay retired.
50%

Total votes: 86

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Re: Why Did Schumacher Leave Ferrari?

CHT wrote:I am guessing that MS doesnt have very good confident about Ferrari potential for next year hence choose to reunite with Ross to drive with Merc instead.
Doubt it.

It's part of life, man. People grow, move on, do different things. Michael Jordan stopped playing basketball after enormous success and started playing golf. Brett Favre left an amazing career with the Packers.. retired.. and is now playing for their rivals the Vikings. Michael Schumacher had tremendous success with Ferrari and now wants to do something different with Merc.

Race drivers are people too. They're entitled to mixing things up in their life and taking on new challenges. Doing the same thing over and over again is boring. I say.. big deal. Let him have fun and do what he enjoys. Who cares who it's with.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

axle
axle

Ferrari were lobbying for 3 car teams to keep Schumi, but failed...(thankfully).

Mercedes put Schumi in F1, he owes them a great deal, so it's a perfect for both parties...something that Ferrari can't hold against him.
- Axle

WhiteBlue

Re: Poll over: MSC will officially come back.

I'm just realizing that we will have low fuel qualifying back together with Michael Schumacher. I can't wait for Bahrain Q3 to see the champs putting the cars on knife's edge.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

GTO

Great news for F1. =D> Some good copetition ahead between Shumi, Alonso, Hamilton, Massa, Vettel, & Button.
I am surprised to hear of Petronas jumping ship & coming on board. I wonder if Petronas knew about Shumi's signing before they signed on. I think they'll definitley get their money's worth in brand visibility. Good move for them.

With the rule changes, it is a good time for Shumi to join. Among the top runners, it's about as level a field it's going to be. Can't wait for the testing to begin in Feb.
=P~

CHT
CHT

Jersey Tom wrote:
CHT wrote:I am guessing that MS doesnt have very good confident about Ferrari potential for next year hence choose to reunite with Ross to drive with Merc instead.
Doubt it.

It's part of life, man. People grow, move on, do different things. Michael Jordan stopped playing basketball after enormous success and started playing golf. Brett Favre left an amazing career with the Packers.. retired.. and is now playing for their rivals the Vikings. Michael Schumacher had tremendous success with Ferrari and now wants to do something different with Merc.

Race drivers are people too. They're entitled to mixing things up in their life and taking on new challenges. Doing the same thing over and over again is boring. I say.. big deal. Let him have fun and do what he enjoys. Who cares who it's with.
MS is not someone who will simply jump back into F1 racing if he is not confident about fighting for championship. As MS was still on the payroll of Ferrari until the recent annoucement, there is no chance that MS will want to leave Ferrari if he knows that Ferrari is capable of providing him a championship winning car.

MS is not any driver, he is 41 years old and he is a holder of all damn record in F1. Do you think MS will want to come out of retirement to be lapped by Hamilton and Vettel? I honestly doubt so.

Michael Schumacher is still Schumi, he is no Michael Jordan.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

CHT wrote:MS is not any driver, he is 41 years old and he is a holder of all damn record in F1.
For precisely this reason, he doesn't have anything to prove.

I think he just wants to race again, and is up for a new challenge with a different organization.

I just really doubt he's keeping away from Ferrari because he doesn't think they can win championship.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

donskar
donskar

Schu's return is good for the $ side of F1. Beyond that, I don't know.

He does not have as much to gain as he has to lose.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Raptor22
Raptor22

GTO wrote:Great news for F1. =D> Some good copetition ahead between Shumi, Alonso, Hamilton, Massa, Vettel, & Button.
I am surprised to hear of Petronas jumping ship & coming on board. I wonder if Petronas knew about Shumi's signing before they signed on. I think they'll definitley get their money's worth in brand visibility. Good move for them.

With the rule changes, it is a good time for Shumi to join. Among the top runners, it's about as level a field it's going to be. Can't wait for the testing to begin in Feb.
=P~

The Petronas deal has been in the pipeline since September when it was well known that BMW were leaving and Sauber was iffy.

Petronas have been knocking on the door of Mercedes, and VW for quite a long time to form a fuels and lubricants technical working relationship as both currently have with Shell and BMW has with BPAC.

The first opportunity they had, they took.
Interestingly, Petronas also has ties with Mobil in some markets so it may be coincidence or it may be an opportunity shared.

Two more sponsors to be announced in the new year.

WhiteBlue

CHT wrote:After reading what MS said about his hunger and energy to come out of retirement and challenge himself for another championship. I cant help but to wonder why MS didnt want to stick around to race with Ferrari?

The reason given by Ferrari was that they already have Massa and Alonso for 2010, hence they cant have MS. To me, this is cant be the truth because Alonso contract with Ferrari was brought forward by a year and they are the first to know MS's intention to come out of retirement.

I am guessing that MS doesnt have very good confident about Ferrari potential for next year hence choose to reunite with Ross to drive with Merc instead.
It is well known that Michael was nubbed into retirement by Monte who wanted to bring in Kimi against Todt, Schumacher and Brawn. It was possible because at that time Michael was mentally exhausted and needed a break. I doubt that he had wasted any serious thoughts before Hungary 2009 on a come back.

It was Montezemolo who got him hooked on the idea that he could sub for Massa until the end of the season. At that time the Santander deal and the Alonso deal had long been done. Kimi was already austed and Alonso was supposed to be announced a week later in Monza. The only reason the traditional announcement did not happen was Massa's situation.

I'm pretty sure that the broken neck and basal skull frakture were the genuine problems that stopped Schumacher in September to drive for Massa. By the time the season came to an end in Abu Dhabi it was clear that Massa and Schumacher both would be fit to drive. Thus the strange three car initiatives from Monte.

To explain why Michael eventually started to listen to Haug and Brawn one has to remember that both Brawn and Schumacher had been screwed by Monte in 2006 and 2007. Same probably also applied to Todt but he had his FIA parachute always with him.

Once Haug and Brawn had learned that Michael was indeed ready to race again after smelling the roses for three years they simply had to exploit all opportunities. Ferrari was blocked for some time and Merc had the opportunity to make the McLaren-Brawn switch early. The launch of the MP4-12C was the perfect public gesture which could be use to pressure McLaren into agreeing an early split. Without that I believe Schumacher had never even considered to race for a Brawn team. But Haug called up a debt of honor and Brawn must have convinced Michael that the car would be good enough. The rest is history.

The Button story is intriguing. In November Button must have seriously over reacted to the scare story (ably supported by McLaren) that Mercedes was to become a German only team. Brawn must have been convinced at that time that Button would stay. Despite earlier talk between Haug, Brawn and Schumacher they were not in a position to do a deal until the negotiations with McLaren were resolved. I know that Merc did beat McLaren down by 500 mil $ between Abu Dhabi and the final agreement. McLaren must have sensed an opportunity to get Button and his #1 for a price that was much lower than Kimi's demands. The Mercedes duo then succeeded to remove all obstacles to the Schumi drive which was a small miracle considering that Ferrari must have felt royally shafted. I have always wondered if Todt had his fingers in that pie to pacify Monte.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

djones
djones

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 427552.stm

He seems to have some serious confidence in himself.

I was expecting him to be more neutral and not playing his chances up but he has practically said hes going to win the championship.

When he gives that little smile as well you know its not just sportsmanship, he actually believes it.

Pandamasque

MS about himself and Brawn wrote:We have... both together won races we shouldn't have won...
:)

marcush.
marcush.

holy sh... look into the face of MS and you know Rosberg is into some serious learning exercise next year.
It justreminds me of the experience that Gerhard Berger was into when joining Mclaren with Senna as Teammate ....
anyone not counting on him as a serious contender for the title must be , ahem ,
dreaming....

Mr Alcatraz

A little different twist on the story.
The only part of this i really agree with is that it will "be a facinating story"
But what will happen if the Mercedes is not a race winner, regardless of the driver's efforts? Just because Brawn's car won the title in 2009 does not mean the next one will bring a repeat. Indeed, the effort required to give Jenson Button the championship will have diminished the effort put into the 2010 car. Just ask McLaren and Ferrari about that, based on their experiences this year. How will Schumacher cope with finishing fourth, fifth or sixth (if he's lucky) in a field that promises to be just as competitive as 2009 when less than two seconds covered 20 cars on the grid?

The answer is, he won't like it. We are talking about a driver who never finished lower than third in the world championship from 2000 until his retirement.

The fear is that Michael Schumacher may be the only loser by his exceptional standards at the end of what will undoubtedly be a fascinating story.
http://gulfnews.com/sport/motorsport/dr ... bled=false
Poached From the Gaurdian! Bla Bla Bla, I know :lol:
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Pandamasque

Tazio wrote:
But what will happen if the Mercedes is not a race winner, regardless of the driver's efforts? Just because Brawn's car won the title in 2009 does not mean the next one will bring a repeat. Indeed, the effort required to give Jenson Button the championship will have diminished the effort put into the 2010 car. Just ask McLaren and Ferrari about that, based on their experiences this year. How will Schumacher cope with finishing fourth, fifth or sixth (if he's lucky) in a field that promises to be just as competitive as 2009 when less than two seconds covered 20 cars on the grid?

The answer is, he won't like it. We are talking about a driver who never finished lower than third in the world championship from 2000 until his retirement.

The fear is that Michael Schumacher may be the only loser by his exceptional standards at the end of what will undoubtedly be a fascinating story.
http://gulfnews.com/sport/motorsport/dr ... bled=false
Poached From the Gaurdian! Bla Bla Bla, I know :lol:
From what we've been hearing from Brawn and Button round about September, the development of their car suffered a lot due shifting most of the effort onto the 2010 challenger. It's like they did just enough to keep the lead in 2009 while working towards 2010.
And now Brawn keeps going on about the new car being even better than the old. Last time he was so optimistic he turned out quite right :wink:

Although there's always a chance of a winning team getting it very wrong, regardless of how much effort went into the car.

xpensive
xpensive

I think the last (and only?) time MS had a truly uncompetitive car was in 1996, when John Barnard had misunderstood the side-protection rules with the terrible F310, but he still drove the wheels of that dog to beat the Williams a couple of times!
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"