F1 Points System: Points for Most overtakes of a Race

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Are u in favor?

Yes
23%
No
77%

Total votes: 22

rifrafs2kees
rifrafs2kees

F1 Points System: Points for Most overtakes of a Race

Considering the "frequency" of overtaking in F1, I think 2 points or so should be awarded to the driver with most overtakes for each race. If there's a tie, no points should be awarded. Also I'd like the 12, 8....point system implemented. I like the gap of 4 points between the winner and runner up so that if a driver got to 2nd position with the most overtakes, he doesn't end up having more points than the winner of the race. I think this is a pretty good incentive for overtaking rather than waiting for the guy to pit. What do u you guys think?
Last edited by rifrafs2kees on 28 Dec 2009, 03:27, edited 1 time in total.

szlaszlo84
szlaszlo84

Re: F1 Points System: Points for Most overtakes of a Race

Hi there,

I very strongly disagree with the proposition. I don't want to offend you but this is not a very well thought out idea at all. Drivers getting lucky at the start could pass many cars. It would be impossible to count who passed who. Also based on this two drivers of the same team could pass each other back and forth to get the 2 points.

I don't agree that current F1 is much worse in terms of overtaking than those of past years, decades. It is just that we tend to have selective memory and remember the best moments.

Happy holidays nevertheless,

Laz

roost89
roost89

I second the opinion above.
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

rifrafs2kees
rifrafs2kees

I didn't consider intra-team shenenigans. Passing your team mate shouldn't count. Also passes brought about by first corner mishaps and so on shouldn't be considered. We all know genuine passes when we see one. It's not a perfect system and there will never be one. But a reward for passing isn't a bad idea.

Mystery Steve
Mystery Steve

So let's say a driver A starts on pole and holds on in the first corner and then goes on to lead every lap. Is driver A then being punished for his performance because the driver B who finished 2nd may have started in 6th and had more overtaking moves? Shouldn't finishing 2nd instead of 6th be incentive enough for driver B?

Everyone keeps trying to come up with incentives to artificially induce passing, as if the prospect of scoring more points for a higher position isn't already an incentive. The idea where the winner gets double points than 2nd place or other crackpot theories don't make sense. The assumption there is that if the driver in 2nd place is capable of winning the race he's not going to try. Show me a competitive driver who's just going to sit back and not try to win if he has a legitimate shot. Yes, we do see driver's sitting back sometimes because closing in and making a pass is just not physically realistic. It's the nature of evenly matched competition. Besides, the goal is to win the war not every battle.

bjpower
bjpower

rifrafs2kees wrote:I didn't consider intra-team shenenigans. Passing your team mate shouldn't count. Also passes brought about by first corner mishaps and so on shouldn't be considered. We all know genuine passes when we see one. It's not a perfect system and there will never be one. But a reward for passing isn't a bad idea.
but then you have RB and TR
both teams have the same guy paying the bills

Ciro Pabón

I think people overtake when they can. I can't think of an occasion when somebody has refused to overtake because it had no "reward". Proffessional drivers are mad: they not only take enormous risks, they also have an ego the size of a transatlantic.

There are plenty of series with more overtakes, like stock cars (DTM, V8, NASCAR) you can watch. F1 is a resources race and an engineering competition more than a competition of drivers: most of them are as good as it gets.

I'll update this year's figures soon. Meanwhile check this:

I see a strong correlation between the strength of the car and the number of overtakings. Notice that Massa (this figures are for 2007, sorry, I know figures for 2008 are interred somewhere in the forum) has 20 overtakes in the whole year. That's slightly over 1 overtake per race... Notice Schumacher figures.

Conclusion: the proposed system would be exploited by teams, they're nobody's fool. At least (I'm latino, sorry ;)) I would qualify in a position well below my car possibilities, just to earn the points you would distribute. How would you cope with that?
Ciro

Pandamasque

I've been always quite sceptical about success ballasts or scoring systems that would encourage any driver to want anything else than finish every qualifying and race as high as possible.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz_a_EeUeL4[/youtube]

adrianchl
adrianchl

I would better prefer to give points to the best qualifiers on the grid on saturday and sunday. In fact, every date of Actual F1 competition is divided in 2 races, one of them played on saturday wich last just one lap and the other on sunday runned for at least to 300 km, quiete different each one, and for that, both deservs to be awarded with points.

This, in my opinion, makes more sense for the competitors.

Regards, :wink:

SectorOne

I don´t like it.

For example Vettel and Red Bull in 2012 would get rewarded for running out of fuel, start from pits, overtake the field 1 1/2 times and end up third.
Hamilton and Mclaren in 2009 produced a sh*t car but with KERS and the car working better in the race it resulted in him moving up through the field relatively easy.

I don´t think you should get an extra reward for that.
Just clawing your way back up and maybe a highlight reel should be enough of a reward.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

I already suggested this in the other thread. My suggestion was 1 points for every place you gain in the race from your qualifying position (not grid position, there is a difference).

It's just a wacky idea, since the FIA seem to be entertaining wacky ideas. Personally, I'm happy with the current points format. The only small change I would actually like to see is a single point award for the fastest race lap. At the end of the race we could see the cars outside of the top 10 pit for fresh tires and have a qualifying style shoot out for the fastest lap.

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

Going by the Formula E gimmicks, Tweet to pass can't be far off.

Pup
Pup

I like it. They should also have trophies all the way down the grid so no one gets left out. And an attendance award (looking at you, Kimi). Maybe best dressed? Double the points for the last race? Choose the winners via twitter? I mean, the racing is crap, so we've got to do something to make it seem as if we're doing something.

How about we base the championships on a ratio of points per dollar spent?

There was a time when the actual race itself was important. Sure, the WDC was important, too, but actually winning the thing that people paid money to see was considered worthwhile. This was back when the races were interesting to watch. Before they become so boring that they're now merely a means to measure aerodynamic development.

Speaking for myself, the only thing that gets me watching a race is the hope that something might have changed. Some new bit on some car that maybe made the car a tenth faster than how fast the new bit on the other car made it.

Like Ciro said, these guys don't need an incentive to pass. They need the ability to pass. Doing that means scrapping the current rules and starting over. It means, quite simply, racing with cars that aren't so aerodynamically sensitive that they only work when there are no other cars on track.

Note: This will not happen anytime soon - it requires quite a large group people admitting that there is a fundamental flaw in how they've done things their entire career, then equally sharing the risk of change by working together. That never ever happens on it's own - only when some outside force shoves it down their throats. F1 isn't so much a disaster just yet for that to happen. But they're working on it, and I'm confident that they'll get there in my lifetime.