2010 Winter Testing

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
godlameroso

Re: 2010 Winter Testing Thread

Seems like heavy fuel loads really affect performance, by the end of the race the cars that opt for a 3 stop strategy are really gonna gun it seeing as how the car will have shed over 100kg's
Saishū kōnā

antitomm
antitomm

I edited my post earlier and put up a clearer chart.

Pup
Pup

It's interesting. Everyone talks about the Ferrari as being easy on it's tires, consistent, and good on the long runs. But I look at these race sims, and see just the opposite. Every other team is able to slowly lower their lap times over a run except Ferrari. And the difference in performance after Ferrari swap tires is remarkable. Massa's runs on the soft tires in fact look horrible to me. In contrast, you can't even tell looking at the charts when the others pit - particularly on Hamilton's run. Am I missing something here?

It's also interesting that Ferrari used a short-long-short strategy with both Alonso and Massa. Is this an indication that they are planning to use the softer tires in qually? I wonder how that would pan out in the race, since the long middle stint kills them in these sims.

WhiteBlue

Please observe that these traces are not time synchonous. MSfree only gives lap numbers.

These are the complete data for day 4

The top teams are much more visible in this plot. Webber lap numbers in this plot are rectified to occurr after Vettel's run.

The quali runs in the morning show that from lap 25 there is very little between Massa and Schumi. The race simulation in the afternoon doesn't look too shabby either. Schumi's times are coming down nicely while Massa is basically level and made a change somewhere at a red flag probably to other tyres. Webber's times are actually going up. Consistency of the Merc is also fine. You have to remember that there were several red flags which cause the tyres to loose temp.
Last edited by WhiteBlue on 01 Mar 2010, 19:45, edited 2 times in total.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

snowy
snowy

I'm with you on that Pup, though I believe Ferrari's consistent times are over such a prolonged period as to suggest that they do use the tyre economically. That would suggest they may well struggle to qualify well on the harder compound.

Lewis's middle stint on the softer compound speaks volumes about how how competitive the McLaren is. 22 solid laps in the mid 23s makes a nonsense of tyre issues and excessive wear threatening their race strategy.

The short stint at the end of Ferrari's race sim doesn't make any sense at all, track position will be just as important ever. They'd have to have a 15-20s lead to fit that stop in... I suppose it is possible but unlikely if you're racing Lewis, Seb and Schuey.

Pedro
Pedro

Barcelona, Day 4
All recorded lap by selected drivers
Source: F1news.cz
http://www.f1news.cz

doopie2you

Does somebody know where to find some good video's from the f1 tests last month
What does IDK means?? (someone) i dont know (other dude) OMG no one knows

0kjosef
0kjosef

Do you know if the guy who was sampling Williams' timing service around? I'd love to have his lap chart with the corresponding time of day data because I cannot always figure out which stints go together from the Greek site's charts.

Mr Alcatraz

Pup wrote:
Is this an indication that they are planning to use the softer tires in qually? I wonder how that would pan out in the race, since the long middle stint kills them in these sims.

This is precisely what Ferrari stated early on in the testing sessions!
I also assume they are not planning on running a middle stint in this senario.
It appears that they have evaluated the soft's performance quite extensively!
Whether or mot their data supports this supposition is not known to us,
Due to the variable of fuel loads and race surfaces.
Their stated objective was a consigered opinion that if they could qualify at the front of the grid
the drop-off would not be significant enough to allow passing as the softs go off.
I don't believe they have stated that their car is easier on its tires in general.
Considering that the've had no chance to evaluate them on a really hot track
means that there are variables that could rubbish the whole concept.
One thing is worth noting, they did spend a lot of time working on long runs with the soft compound,
and if what they are trying to accomplish does in fact work out the way they projected,
we could be in for some very boring races!
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Pup
Pup

Is that a poem? :P

Mr Alcatraz

Pup wrote:Is that a poem? :P
If that is how you read it Grasshopper!

BTW poetry is broadly defined in literature as:

The spontaeneous outflow of human emotion.

That was not my intention!
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

nacho
nacho

Passing ain't gonna get easier with the optimized diffusers, so qualifying will be as important as ever.

tk421

ringo wrote:That's Button.
ISLAMATRON wrote: Behold the rantings of a drunk Vettle fan
for those who didn't get it :roll: , i was saying that hambone was in the blue minivan driving 5 mph on the infield during that segment of the video. i guess i'll forgive you this time... :wink:
Best regards. I guess this explains why I'm not at my post!

Professor
Professor

If you go back and tally all the miles (data gathering) that all the teams did during their four opportunities to test, you will find out that Ferrari did significantly more miles than any other team. This is a testament to their relaibility and to their ability to fix problems and move ahead with their testing program.

Ferrari did 4420 miles in testing, Red Bull did 2580, McLaren did 3500, and Mercedes did 3700. Ferrari seem to have done more useful testing than any of the other teams. This has to pay off one way or another during the season.

Full testing mileage here:

http://www.usf1formula1.com/2010/03/gen ... tions.html

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

0kjosef wrote:Do you know if the guy who was sampling Williams' timing service around? I'd love to have his lap chart with the corresponding time of day data because I cannot always figure out which stints go together from the Greek site's charts.
That would be me, I'll get the data together during the day.