Petrov out of Renault?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
vyselegend

Petrov out of Renault?

Speculation has arisen in the french press today about Vitaly Petrov's second driver seat at Renault. It is reported that the Russian is indeed a pay driver, who was supposed to bring 15 milion € to the Renault team. But his agent failed to obtain any support from russian companies, and despite that Vitaly's father has contracted a 7.5 milions € credit in a bid to save the deal (which has been blocked by the banks), the family is unlikely to secure the young russian's seat, as they can't respect their contract with the (greedy) manufacturer.

Wow, Renault has fallen so low! #-o I say, let Vitaly prove himself, there's nothing to lose, he can't be worse than Piquet or Grosjean anyway!

:arrow: google traducted autohebdo article

zgred

Re: Petrov out of Renault?

Already in english: 'PETROV'S RENAULT RACE-SEAT IN JEOPARDY'

Incredible if true... :oops: :o :shock: #-o ](*,)

Roger the knife

Petrov to USF1 :roll: with Dad's 7.5M Euros, he could buy the team

Mr Alcatraz

I think that if Renault can get someone who they may regard as a better talent.
Just as an example IMVHO Christian Klien who’s also hungry to get that seat is a better candidate.
Or whoever they may regard as being more competitive especially if he can increase the balance of their net worth. Why stick with Petrov (a young guy with decent credentials) if the deciding factor in selecting him was the money he agreed to bring, and can't deliver! Ad into the equation that if they are to change they have to do it very soon as seat time for testing is diminishing rapidly!
If home boy aint commin' through with the snaps he agreed to, they don’t have no freakin' deal! :? :x
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

WhiteBlue

Speaking of dodgy deals and pay drivers. :roll: :shock:

If they wanted to hire a solid performer they should look at Nick Heidfeld.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Personally, im on the side of Renault on this one, but do feel for Vitally.

Renault need a good young driver, or an experienced one at least, they have missed out on Heidfeld and Glock, two good capable and proven drivers that are quick and a safe pare of hands.

However, i think that Petrov was going a bit on the big side with Renault at first. The thing is that there was 2 seats avalable for "pay drives" at USF1 and Campos Meta. Origionally, Petrov was rumored to be on the verge of a $12million deal with Campos, but when he heard Renault was looking, he got a little bit of illusions of grandour and leaped before he could walk.

He is a better driver than Grosjean and Piquet overall, but if he dosnt have the money for the aggreement in time, tough. Altho i do think that Renault will work somthing out with Petrov as he is too good a tallent to loose this early from a decent team.

If he dosnt get a drive with Renault, i can see him at Campos, as its not a good thing for the USF1 team to have a Russian at the wheel politically. And Campos need the money.

If Renault do scrap him, id say that they should go for either Klien or give Grosjean another chance, or have a rotating seat with Tung and d'Ambrosio for the first 14 rounds, and after that, the driver with the most points should race for the rest of the season.

I think the situation will be worked out tho, with Renault giving him half a season on the money already presented. And toll a time to raise the next half of the aggreement.

SZ
SZ

WhiteBlue wrote:If they wanted to hire a solid performer they should look at Nick Heidfeld.
Sure. He's solid, just like a ship's anchor.

(Wrong metaphor? :lol:)

WhiteBlue

SZ wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:If they wanted to hire a solid performer they should look at Nick Heidfeld.
Sure. He's solid, just like a ship's anchor.

(Wrong metaphor? :lol:)
Height: 5'4"
Weight: 130 lbs.

As of the end of the 2009 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, Nick Heidfeld holds the following Formula One records:

Most points without a win 219
Most podium finishes without a victory* 12
Most consecutive classified finishes 41 (2007 French Grand Prix–2009 Italian Grand Prix)
Most consecutive race finishes 33 (2007 Chinese Grand Prix–2009 Italian Grand Prix)
Most finishes in a season** 18 (from 18 races in 2008)

* Record shared with Stefan Johansson
** Record shared with Tiago Monteiro

A team focussed on a serious points haul should be interested to bring the man on board.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Giblet
Giblet

WhiteBlue wrote:Speaking of dodgy deals and pay drivers. :roll: :shock:

Yeah but I read somewhere that Kubica asked to not have him specifically as a teammate. I don't think they got on all that well.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

ISLAMATRON

Giblet wrote:

Yeah but I read somewhere that Kubica asked to not have him specifically as a teammate. I don't think they got on all that well.
Its like that when your lower rated teammate consistantly beats you.

Kubica is scared that Renault(and the rest of F1) will find out what he already knows... Nick is better.

WhiteBlue

Giblet wrote:

Perhaps someone at Renault will have to reconsider. Why not Kubica? They tried very hard to please him but eventually had to give up. :wink:

xpensive
xpensive

Indeed a great sport Formula One, some are supposed to pay 15 MEUR to drive, others are paid even more not to drive?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Giblet
Giblet

ISLAMATRON wrote:
Giblet wrote:

Its like that when your lower rated teammate consistantly beats you.

Kubica is scared that Renault(and the rest of F1) will find out what he already knows... Nick is better.
Yeah, but RK did something right, and I don't think he got it through his Casting Couch, or by fooling an F1 team. Obviously The Wolfman is Quick, but it's also quite apparent that teams don't enjoy working with him. His contracts usually run out with no renewal, and nobody is clawing at his legs. Not that it seems like an overall dislike per se, but the writing on the wall is that RK was chosen over NH, and NH is now a tester. If rookies are getting the nod over him, maybe there is something we don't know, yes? Nick should have the funds to pa for a drive too, and it is doubtful he didn't explore that idea.

I think it's time for Heidfeld to concentrate on DTM or LeMans or something where his consistency and speed might be appreciated more.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

ISLAMATRON

It could also be that he may be the most low key of zee germans in a grid full of them. But I was shocked to see Sauber go for the PeDLeR over re-upping Nick. Guess we'll never know.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

WhiteBlue wrote:
SZ wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:Nick Heidfeld holds the following Formula One records:

Most points without a win 219
Most podium finishes without a victory* 12
Most consecutive classified finishes 41 (2007 French Grand Prix–2009 Italian Grand Prix)
Most consecutive race finishes 33 (2007 Chinese Grand Prix–2009 Italian Grand Prix)
Most finishes in a season** 18 (from 18 races in 2008)

* Record shared with Stefan Johansson
** Record shared with Tiago Monteiro

A team focussed on a serious points haul should be interested to bring the man on board.
Cannot aggree with you more.

He out classed Kubica in 2007 and 2009 at BMW Sauber, and if you want a really good driver that has invaluable experience, he is youre man.

Personally, if i were going to start a team afresh like one of the 4 new teams this year, id go with him and Glock, good quick drivers who are safe pairs of hands, and good value for money.

Nick Heidfeld is and has been for a while a un-appreciated and under-rated driver. If you were to put him in a grid leading car (Arguably happened in 2008 with the F1.08 that won BMW their first and only race win of their recent team ownership forray into F1) id say he would win, maybes not win like a Hamilton or a Alonso in style, but he would win on attrition.

Ive always thought that F1 should have at least one or two 500km long races, where a guy like Heidfeld could win a race that isnt the ususal sprint format in a F1 car.