Old Technical Regulations

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Giles Newtown

Old Technical Regulations

Does anybody know where to find technical regulations from way back when? Say from somewhere in the eighties? I am looking to create a turbo era car using CAD. Any other era would be nice also.

manchild

Re: Old Technical Regulations

Welcome!

I know I've seen them somewhere so I'll search for them. If I may make a suggestion, it would be to make pre-1983. turbo car - ground effect turbo car. So,technical regulations from 1982. would be perfect.

Please, update us on your work, I was always intrigued about how would those cars look today if developed with CAD and CFD.

In the meantime, try obtaining technical regulations from FIA Historic Formula One Championship site contact page http://historicformulaone.com/more-information/contact

BUT (big one), it would be great if you could design an 1982 car using 2010 safety regulations (survival cell dimensions etc.), while maintaining all performance-wise regulations from that time. That would be great. So, 2m wide cars, rear tyres limited to 600mm, ground effect, movable skirts and all that was banned in the meantime.

Giles Newtown

Thank you!

The car I was going to base it on originally was the BT52. Mainly because of the 4cyl motor which would be simpler to model/design than a v6. Plus I don't have time to get too much into learning CFD (too much required in modern cars). Except maybe for optimizing the airflow around the side pods in case it will be a wing car.

I will incorporate modern materials and fabrication techniques and go wild with my imagination and bend the technical regulations without affecting functionality too much ;)

This is really an exercise in using engineering tools I use everyday but in areas I don't really get to explore at work.

WhiteBlue

http://www.jomenvisst.de/fia/

there is a collection that goes back to the 90ties. prior the stuff wasn't published.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Roger the knife

Your best bet is to try to find an old FIA yellow book for 1982, will have all the rules and regs. If it wasn't for the fact there are so many pages and they're small, I'd copy them for you from my copy.

Maybe I'll still see if I can find that year amongst the piles of books, and see if it is possible

Giles Newtown

Wow! Thank you all for the quick responses, good leads, Thank you!

I will quiz my director tomorrow about the yellow book (I didn't know that existed). He's been involved in formula racing in his younger days and even dabbled in F1. I'll also ask the Historic F1 guys. I saw them race close by with their wing cars. Those Cosworths sounded great.

I plan on evolving the design step by step, so if I ever post any stuff this year, it will be very crude. I'll chip away at it bit by bit.

Question: I know Tyrell came up with the raised nose and diffuser back in ?1996? But prior to that, was it stated (in the regulations) that the entire bodywork footprint had to be projected flat on the reference plane as opposed to just whatever was between the fwd and aft wheel centerline?

Thanks again!

matt21

Giles Newtown wrote: Question: I know Tyrell came up with the raised nose and diffuser back in ?1996? But prior to that, was it stated (in the regulations) that the entire bodywork footprint had to be projected flat on the reference plane as opposed to just whatever was between the fwd and aft wheel centerline?

Thanks again!
The high nose was in 1991. The statement of the flat surface on the reference plane is still existing. This is why we have the tea trays on the cars.
Regs 1988 wrote:Between the rear edge of the complete front wheels and the front edge of the complete rear wheel all sprung parts of the car visible from directly beneath the car must lie on one plane within a tolerance of +/- 5mm.
Here are some old regulations: http://somersf1.blogspot.co.uk/p/fia-fo ... tions.html