Brake bell material

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
daytona1
daytona1

Brake bell material

Hi, Newbie, just joined so apologies if this is the wrong section for the following. I've found a lot of info on the material the F1 brake disc itself is made from, however, i'm interested in knowing what material the floating brake bell is made from? I have one here and it appears to be Titanium but it did cross my mind that it might be Inconel, possibly due to heat dissapating properties? Anyone with any solid info on this?

marcush.
marcush.

Re: Brake bell material

daytona1 wrote:Hi, Newbie, just joined so apologies if this is the wrong section for the following. I've found a lot of info on the material the F1 brake disc itself is made from, however, i'm interested in knowing what material the floating brake bell is made from? I have one here and it appears to be Titanium but it did cross my mind that it might be Inconel, possibly due to heat dissapating properties? Anyone with any solid info on this?
if it were inconel ,it should be quite heavy considering Inconel density(8,19g/cm³) is close to 321 stainless steel(8,03) ,whereas Titanium density(4,51) is more like Aluminium(2,7g/cm³) ...

daytona1
daytona1

The bell i have is indeed lighter than say stainless steel of the same size, which would suggest Titanium, of course there are many different types/grades of TI and i would assume that heat dissapation properties would be as important as weight, so it would be interesting to know the exact material?

The FOZ
The FOZ

So, Daytona1...are you guys over at USF1 having trouble getting your brakes sorted now? :lol:

I kid, I kid...

Edis
Edis

Inconel is a high density material so it's quite easy to exclude it based on the weight of the part. The brake bell doesn't need to operate at such high temperatures either so inconel would be required.

Titanium can handle the temperatures around the brakes, just like it do around the carbon carbon clutch (yes, the clutch 'cage' is made from titanium). Titanium is a poor heat conductor (just like inconel) and you don't want to transfer the brake heat into the wheel shaft and hub.

Ti-6Al4V (grade 5) is a common choice for titanium parts that need to withstand high temperatures and/or have a high strength. It's used in engine valves (inlet valves mostly), jet engine compressor blades, high pressure ratio turbocharger compressor wheels, aircraft structural components like most of the SR-71 airframe. There are higher strength and more heat resistant titanium alloys availible, but higher costs and lower availibity usually limits their use.

Titanium alloys begin to oxidize at around 600 degC, so the parts should be kept below that temperature.

If you calculate the density of the part it's quite easy to conclude what type of material it's made from.