F1 Technician Hand Tools

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Germanengineering

F1 Technician Hand Tools

Does anyone now what brand of Hand tools the teams use? Snap-on, Matco, etc..
Last edited by Richard on 25 Apr 2012, 17:58, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated title
People don't understand that it was maybe my biggest pleasure to drive an F1 car when it's wet. - Alain Prost

Giblet

Re: Technician Hand Tools

Unless they have a specific partner/supplier/sponsor, they likely use whatever is best they can afford.

But honestly I am not sure at all, and it is a good question. The teams web pages list their sponsors, including the ones that are not plastered on the cars.

Snap-on for the sake of discussion, might be interested in people seeing the team using them, and give them for free, but not pay to have the name on the car.

Emailing the teams will likely also solicit a response.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

czt
czt

BAR/Honda used to have a deal with Mac.

Snap-on and Facom are other likely suppliers.

Jersey Tom

Harbor Freight
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

ISLAMATRON

Jersey Tom wrote:Harbor Freight
Thats my fave

dedge

You also have Beta. They are not in F1 anymore but in WRC and Moto GP:

http://www.beta-tools.com/beta/motorspo ... ry_en.html

mx_tifoso

ISLAMATRON wrote:
Thats my fave
+1. Good quality for price point.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

ISLAMATRON

mx_tifosi wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:
Thats my fave
+1. Good quality for price point.
yeah, but sometimes their design is just plain inferior... snap-on just feels right in your hands... but I refuse to pay the price... plus I hate the way the snap on guy just walks into my shop and interrupts everything

mx_tifoso

ISLAMATRON wrote:yeah, but sometimes their design is just plain inferior... snap-on just feels right in your hands... but I refuse to pay the price... plus I hate the way the snap on guy just walks into my shop and interrupts everything
No argument about the inferior design, but what you pay is what you get. And for basic wrenching and work those tools aren't bad IMO. And besides, at this point in my life I'm not wiling to pay premiums for basic tools.

And I don't work as a mechanic so for wrenching on my truck in the garage any brand will do just fine.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

ISLAMATRON

well if you like harbor freight check out northern tools too

http://www.northerntool.com/

Ciro Pabón

I know that tool cabinets, the ones you see at the back of the pit garage, are made by Lista (well, for most of the teams). They are not exactly cheap: starting at U$1600, most of them go for 2 to 3 thousand.

I try to remember, but I've never, ever, in my life, seen them opened... it seems they don't need tools at F1 pit garages. :D
Ciro

ESPImperium

STR Use USAG tool, who are owned by the Stanley group: http://www.tororosso.com/cs/Satellite/e ... ponsorId=5

Force India use KEMPPI welding as a official supplyer.

Other than that, they will use what ever the want to get the job done. Its the same as a guitarist on stange, it may say Marshall on his guitar amp, but it may be something completley diffrent behind the scenes hes playing thrugh. Meaning, it may be for show, but it may not be for go.

sticky667

i use craftsman professional line.

great price point for the quality and the lifetime warranty.

only snap-on for the specialty stuff.

marcush.

my favorite was always FACOM especially the 39series ring/fork medium length wrenches and 3/8 square ratchets which are far better than any of the Snapon crap.
Also sockets and extensions are top quality.
Quite expensive stuff but if you only buy what you really need instead of purchasing sets with a lot of useless stuff it starts to make sense as you will not marr plating of nuts and avoid rounded nut heads and bleeding knuckles because of crap tools.
In Germany you also find STAHLWILLE which is also very fine quality for the money you pay.
also I really like this tool:
http://www.knipex.de/fileadmin/site/kni ... 8603_D.pdf

very good for all those anodised fittings you don´t want to marr .

autogyro

I have a set of American AF combination spanners made in the 1930s and dull finished.
They do not have a mark on them.
The decline in steel for tools started with Japanese tools in the 1960s.
We used to joke, that Japanese hacksaw blades were made from rubber steel.
The chizels and files lasted minutes in some cases.
Now of course the Indian owners of British Corus steel are closing it down to make way for their home steel. Some of the best Alloy and tooling steels will soon be lost for ever.
I have been quoted as not being supportive of American technology many times but I will give them at least one bit of praise. They make superb steel.