New Mercedes SLS 63 AMG Saftey Car For 2010

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

horse

Re: New Mercedes SLS 63 AMG Saftey Car For 2010

Who would have thought that gull wing doors would have made it so hard to mount a light bar?

Also, do you think we will we see this go inverted in the tunnel at Abu Dhabi?
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

Miguel

I've had a look at the link, ESP, and I can't figure out whether the quoted 1600 kg are for the street SLS or for the new Safety Car. I know Mercedes loves heavy cars but 1620 kg seems like a high figure to put in "aluminium frame allows to keep the weight down to XXXX kg". I can't understand why the safety car should weight more than 1300 kg.

Other than that, the SLS is an incredibly nice car. I'm looking forward to seeing some at London soon.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

astracrazy

another example of the FIA saving money and going green, what £100,000+? Makes me laugh, they don't just have one either. App they have quiet a few of them

axle

astracrazy wrote:another example of the FIA saving money and going green, what £100,000+? Makes me laugh, they don't just have one either. App they have quiet a few of them
Eh? Mercedes do it for advertising...the safety/medical car is not a cost to the FIA.
- Axle

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Ohhh baby!
In red please!! [-o<
More could have been done.
David Purley

ESPImperium

astracrazy wrote:another example of the FIA saving money and going green, what £100,000+? Makes me laugh, they don't just have one either. App they have quiet a few of them
That is true, there is 5 of them in constant rotation, Same with the medical cars.

Theres 2 at any GP, 2 traveling to the next GP and one in service as the one that was used as the primary at the previous GP gets striped down and re-built if need be. The medical cars are run differently however. There are 3 at any GP and another 3 traveling to the next GP and another 2 in service/storage. The medical cars require very little service time as they are roughly 85% the same as the road car version, just a little added horsepower and better suspension and brakes on those cars.

Its not the FIA that foots the bill for this, its Mercedes. They use this as a marketing and advertising item, and is an aggreement with the FIA that is to run till 2016 at current, i think. When the current aggreement was signed in 2008, both the FIA and Mercedes aggreed the saftey and medical cars will change every 2 years. The FIA do not foot any cost. Also the old saftey and medical cars will filter down to other series, the old cars will now go arround with the World Series By Renault now i think.

astracrazy

ok sorry, i never knew that.

Giblet

Yeah it looks even better in person.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

horse

I personally don't like the look of this car. It's nose it too big.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

Giblet

It's good that you don't like it, and others do.

A good design should polarize people, there are few cars that everyone likes the look of nowadays.

Unfortunately, due to pedestrian impact regulations, all cars noses are too big and/or tall looking now.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

horse

Giblet wrote:It's good that you don't like it, and others do.

A good design should polarize people, there are few cars that everyone likes the look of nowadays.

Unfortunately, due to pedestrian impact regulations, all cars noses are too big and/or tall looking now.

To be honest, I like it from the front wheels back, but there is something about the very front of the car that looks odd from the particular angle which we see the red car above. I think it may be something to do with the lights. I haven't really been taken in by Mercedes' square light design theme. It just doesn't sit well on what is essentially such a retro body shape. I don't know, might be a grower.

Of course, I wouldn't say no. :wink:

PlatinumZealot

The front looks cheap. Front looks like a Nissan.
I would like it more if they went with modern interpretation of the round lights of the old version.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

JohnsonsEvilTwin

This is a love it or hate it car, and for that very reason it has somthing many other cars lack, especially some supercars. And that is presence!
I bet more people will stare at this than a Ferrari, simply because of its outrageously long nose and squat rear end. Wether they like it or not simply does not enter the equation once its grabbed your attention.

Personally I love this thing.
More could have been done.
David Purley

rich1701

Reminds me of this beefy mustang.