TV coverage gripes

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Current TV coverage good or bad?

Keep it the way it is!
16%
Overhaul needed ASAP
80%
Don't care about the quality of TV coverage
4%

Total votes: 112

strad

Re: TV coverage gripes

You start to embrace social media, you involve the fans, what's not to like?
Twitter
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Bob Brown

After last weekend's race, I can't stand NBC's coverage in the USA anymore.

I defended them when they rehired most of the team from SPEED TV, but I realize now that it was a mistake. They are too whiny and judgmental, favoring their own personal favorite drivers over actually providing proper information and coverage over the race (weekend).

I thought Windsor was bad, but now even Buxton is starting to become that level.

Cam

Bob Brown wrote:They are too whiny and judgmental, favoring their own personal favorite drivers over actually providing proper information...
Just had a massive dose of déjà vue. Where have I seen this before?
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Gaz.
Gaz.

Other than the cuts to the garages/WAGs/random that annoy me the only thing I'd really change would be a text at the bottom of the screen for additional team radio over what is currently broadcast on the main feed- just a text version of the pitlane feed would be satisfactory.
Forza Jules

Cam

Too much time was spent showing Michael Fassbender. Wtf?! Maybe these guys are paying for the time? Even Rosbergs missus gets more screen time than some back markers. Not sure I agree with that production direction.
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Bob Brown

Cam wrote:
Bob Brown wrote:They are too whiny and judgmental, favoring their own personal favorite drivers over actually providing proper information...
Just had a massive dose of déjà vue. Where have I seen this before?
Huh?

strad

Plain and simple... NBC sucks.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

djos

You poor buggers have Lee Diffey commentating right?

Best thing he ever did was get off Aussie tv!
"In downforce we trust"

Cam

djos wrote:You poor buggers have Lee Diffey commentating right?

djos - what do you think of the short grabs and 30 min pre-race intro with Allan Jones and Rusty?
― Socrates

djos

TV coverage gripes

Cam wrote:
djos wrote:You poor buggers have Lee Diffey commentating right?

djos - what do you think of the short grabs and 30 min pre-race intro with Allan Jones and Rusty?
TBH I'd rather Rusty wasn't there but I don't mind AJ - it's good that we get Aus specific interviews with the uk F1 journo's prior to the race tho.
"In downforce we trust"

Cam

What ever happen to Craig Baird? He was excellent and gave a lot of insights. Beattie, don't miss him.

Dream team - who would you have on there (must be alive and available to work)?
― Socrates

Bob Brown

strad wrote:Plain and simple... NBC sucks.
Not really. Their coverage of F1 has been more than what FOX/SPEED TV used to give, especially with more live session showings & online streaming.
It is the commentators and pit reporter that is drowning them.

djos

TV coverage gripes

I reckon Webbo and AJ would be my dream team :D

Ps, I agree with you re: Baird and Beatie, the latter was a waste if o2!
"In downforce we trust"

strad

quite frankly a big part is the FOM camera work that sucks. They try to get by with as few cameras with as long a lens as they can get away with.
But NBC cramming way more commercials than Speed ever did is a large part of my gripe. That and postponing F1 for things that quite frankly don't matter to race fans. TDF indeed,, who cares? I'll take quallys over TDF any day even practice rates higher in this fans opinion.
Sir Stirling Moss

Bob Brown

strad wrote:quite frankly a big part is the FOM camera work that sucks. They try to get by with as few cameras with as long a lens as they can get away with.
But NBC cramming way more commercials than Speed ever did is a large part of my gripe. That and postponing F1 for things that quite frankly don't matter to race fans. TDF indeed,, who cares? I'll take quallys over TDF any day even practice rates higher in this fans opinion.
Hmm, I don't think you are right on that one.

NBC and SPEED TV show the same amount of commercials, but NBC at least gives you side by side, even though it kinda sucks since the screen is so small and there is no sound.

Also, unlike SPEED TV, at least NBC shows live sessions on their other channels like CNBC when there is a conflict in programming like Tour de France on their NBCSN channel. SPEED never did that, they just delayed everything, including races until whatever time slot fit them (aka did not have a NASCAR event).