Happy birthday, Ayrton!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
timbo
timbo

Happy birthday, Ayrton!

It's his 50th
I think we all are too pinned to his death, but we'd better celebrate his life!
So, happy birthday, Ayrton!

WhiteBlue

Re: Happy birthday, Ayrton!

Yeah, I'll have a nice bavarian beer with special dedication to the great man. :D

I recently came across his record of consecutive pole positions in the San Marino GP:

Very impressive and not likely to broken in our time.
Last edited by WhiteBlue on 21 Mar 2010, 14:12, edited 2 times in total.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

autogyro
autogyro

+1

We miss you Ayrton.

manchild
manchild

Just seen it on "on this day" on TV, and came here to mention it. I was pleasantly surprised to see that I'm not the only one.

Last edited by manchild on 21 Mar 2010, 17:13, edited 2 times in total.

pgj
pgj

+1

Much missed, never forgotten.
Williams and proud of it.

Shrek
Shrek

You know it's kind of ironic I'm watching his first win while it would have been his 50th birthday, while i didn't know any of those 2 stats before i watched the race
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEG9x-HD ... re=related
Spencer

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Intelligent, brave, and willing to push the limits, Ayrton was not only one of the greatest drivers of all time, he was also a great man.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

Giblet
Giblet

I went to find the video on youtube of Senna's famous quali lap in 1988 with his overdub of his speech about "Flying Very High", and it appears to have been pulled in it's entirety.

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high."

"And suddenly I realised that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension."

"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitation, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me."

"I was already on pole, then by half a second and then one second and I just kept going. Suddenly I was nearly two seconds faster than anybody else, including my team mate with the same car."

"It was like I was in a tunnel. Not only the tunnel under the hotel but the whole circuit was a tunnel. I was just going and going, more and more and more and more. I was way over the limit but still able to find even more."
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Fil

Always a special & moving day on the calendar, even if we do get to respect his birthday a day earlier on this side of the planet.

Autosport has a good lil (if not too little) photo gallery commemorating the day too.

Link
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Sometimes in sport a competitor can transcend not only his peers, but also his sport.
We can list many "greats" but there are the colossus that tower over even those.

Pele, Jordan, Ali, And lately Usain Bolt have that stature. So did Ayrton Senna.
His destruction of the field at Donnington(1993) in one lap is a monument to F1 and to Senna. That field consisted of Prost, Schumacher, Hakkinen and Hill. 13 championships between them and Senna drove away from them all.

A poster on another site posted this and it nearly made me well up:

After his death, there was a race meeting in heaven, and some angels were watching first practice.
One of the cars was Ayrton's Lotus 99T, driven by someone in a yellow, green and blue helmet, and going like the clappers. But also missing the occasional apex. One of the angels said "It's not like Ayrton Senna to miss an apex like that", to which another replied "Its not Ayrton in the car, it's God.
He just THINKS he's Ayrton!"

Ahhh man, it would be funnier if werent so bloody true!
Ayrton Senna I salute you =D>
More could have been done.
David Purley

tomislavp4

Happy birthday Ayrton! You will always be remembered as one of the best drivers of all time, both inside and outside the cockpit. :)