vitaly petrov, so far , so good ?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Steven
Owner

Re: vitaly petrov, so far , so good ?

To add my two cents, I have a fairly good impression on this Russian rookie.

While his late uprise in the Chinese GP was mostly down to tyres, Kubica didn't make any progress and was in the same car. It works in his favour that he can manage to save the tyres for when they are most useful, and I'm confident he is well supported within Renault. That team does not want to make mistakes made with Piquet where Briatore favoured just one driver.

There is still some work though, he spun during the race in China too, allowing two cars to pass him. We'll see how he does in dry conditions with some race experience in the bag.

mr moda

He has impressed me so far .Keeps chipping away and getting stronger. For someone in his first season I think he,s doing well.

gibells
gibells

Fair play he has the right amount of aggression, combined with the right amount of sense not to run anyone off the road yet.

Definitely Rookie of the Year so far for me.

Belatti
Belatti

Miguel wrote:My impression, even after today, is that Romain Grosjean is a better driver and a better racer, although the swiss showed too much rage in his few races. IMHO, the gap between Kubica and Petrov is way too large.

I'm sorry, but that's the way I see it.
Well, its at least a weird impression.

I dont remember Grosjean showing much and I think the gap between Kubica and Petrov is reducing race after race.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Giblet
Giblet

Apparently he has quite impressed the Renault team, who have seen their share of impressive drivers over the years.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

manchild
manchild

What makes him so good is the lack of typical rookie hype. He shows great maturity in unexpected situations, drives with his mind rather than heart. He's much better than I thought he might ever be.

lebesset
lebesset

happened to see comments about petrov from last year from willi weber ...which said he was petrov's manager

is/was this correct ?
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Miguel
Miguel

Belatti wrote:
Miguel wrote:My impression, even after today, is that Romain Grosjean is a better driver and a better racer, although the swiss showed too much rage in his few races. IMHO, the gap between Kubica and Petrov is way too large.

I'm sorry, but that's the way I see it.
Well, its at least a weird impression.

I dont remember Grosjean showing much and I think the gap between Kubica and Petrov is reducing race after race.
You're right, Bellati. Grosjean didn't show much during his few races last year in the R29. However, it was a very twitchy and difficult car, and ended up being almost the worst car in the grid in Abu Dhabi. I do think that Grosjean showed way more promise in GP2. But again, that's my personal opinion, and I can see why people remember only Romain's crashes.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

lebesset
lebesset

is there any more news of petrov being told to lose weight ?
i know hamilton is black belt rated at karate , but petrov looks just right for the 84Kg class at graeco-roman !
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Mr Alcatraz

lebesset wrote:is there any more news of petrov being told to lose weight ?
i know hamilton is black belt rated at karate , but petrov looks just right for the 84Kg class at graeco-roman !
I propose a sig bet Lebe'
I bet the Russian Grappler could kick "The Bosses" ass in hand to hand combat :lol: 8)
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

toto1041
toto1041

he's good. i like his aggressive driving style. rookie of the year for sure. He'll get a lot faster in a year.

lebesset
lebesset

progress again , Q3 and looked like points until alonso's lunge
to be fair it looked 50/50 to me
but
petrov out ..again
alonso gets home with broken wheel , including fastest laps

you need some luck at this game [-o<

timbo
timbo

good race from him.
I hope he'd learn to care for his tyres.
Anyone has any Petrov's onboard footage from Istambul?
I had impression he was working too much in previous races, if he learnt to control the car better and was able drive smoother it would be a great step in right direction for him.

jddh1

I'm impressed. I want to see more of this kid. And I hope somebody starts paying him instead of him trying to fund his own drive every year.

Blackout

He was fast and was near Kubica all the weekend. The new front wing improved the car's Balance and gave confidence to Petrov. He said that the car was 'perfect'... no more understeer.