F1 reverse line up

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
jlspx
jlspx

F1 reverse line up

hows everyone think about pushing FIA to adopt reversing the line up in race from qualify? reward as many point in qualify as race and count altogether for their championship to encourage driver taking the pole. f1 has been lacking of overtaking and overtaking is whats f1 needs. race usually gets bore after first few laps. FIA has been long trying to figure out ways for cars to over take, it has impose so many technical changes with teams money for its R&D. KERS for example and its been proved a failure. why not just simply reverse the line up so we start seeing teams like HRT dye trying defend their pole and give chance like Barrichello to show off his defensive skill and possible win, no offense there for HRT and Barrichello fans. this idea was suggested back in 08 by Patrick Head of williams, http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsp ... 282861.stm , i found this to be a brilliant, cheap and effective ideas. so,hows everyone thinks?

WhiteBlue

Re: F1 reverse line up

Briatore Humbug
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

tarzoon

nonesense.

pgj
pgj

Silly idea.
Williams and proud of it.

jlspx
jlspx

the idea has proven itself works, i have been watching F1 for years and lets just take take 2010 for example, in Malaysian GP, where mclaren and red bull were behind the pack, and the race of full of action until the end, so was Chinese GP in someway. as a viewer, i don't want to sit there and wait for the rain and silly mistake that Ferrari made in Malaysia to have a fun race to watch. remember how boring Bahrain was?

machin

I suggested exactly the same thing a while back... however someone did come up with one reason why it wouldn't be such a good idea... the championship could be decided by qualifying, and not the race..... personally that's fine by me, but it does mean that the casual viewer would be robbed of watching a wheel to wheel fight for the championship.....
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

Belatti
Belatti

pls stop with the "there is no overtaking thing"

When there is overtaking, people complain Hamilton or Alonso are too agressive.

And fake overtaking is 1st fake, then overtaking.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

pgj
pgj

Qualifying would become a race of the slowest.
Williams and proud of it.

Oridori
Oridori

machin wrote:... the championship could be decided by qualifying, and not the race.....
Honestly, isn't that the case at the moment? Apart from races with changing weather conditions or a DNF situation, the race is more or less decided in qualifying this year imo. There might be the odd position change now and then but with todays rules, what do they expect? Under normal conditions you have the fastest car/driver on P1, 2nd fastest on P2 while everyone runs the same strategy aso. Not much room for big changes, right? I'm watching the qualifying with more excitement than the race actually (again, this is under normal race conditions)

So, why not reward qualifying achievements and then make, say the top ten start in reversed line up... or... maybe... simply bring refueling back? :D

Pandamasque

I'll repeat it #th time. Simply remove compulsory tyre strategy and let the teams chose which tyres to use at any point and whether to make any pitstops or not. Also the softer tire needs to be much faster and a lot less durable, the harder one should be able to do the whole race distance (barely).

Paul Oz

Daft idea IMO - its getting mickey mouseish already - surely no-one wants to go down the touring car route? WTCC last time I watched, the main battle is for 6th in the 1st race, so they're at the front for the reversed grid in the last one, and the winner of the previous round carries the extra weight. Was a couple of years ago admittedly, but you get my point. Wouldnt qualifying just end up similar?

Stopping refuelling was the worst thing that could have happened IMO, and narrowing of front tyres hasnt helped on two fronts - longevity, and ability to run close to the car in front. Was the option of widening the rear tyres explored instead if it was about balance? I just hope we don't see many more processional races this season whilst they tip toe round saving tyres. Even Lewis couldnt make stopping twice work in the dry in Oz, and if he can't, I can't see anyone else even attempting it again!

toto1041
toto1041

How about a lottery? Make the qualifying session a "time trial" session for points, then a simple lottery to determine race starting spot?

As far as overtaking, front wings need to be narrower and less efficient (i.e. limited to a certain downforce angle). Diffusers need to be half their current size. Get rid of carbon brakes and get steel rotors in there to lengthen braking distances thus making out-braking maneuvers more likely.

Paul Oz

toto1041 wrote:How about a lottery? Make the qualifying session a "time trial" session for points, then a simple lottery to determine race starting spot?

As far as overtaking, front wings need to be narrower and less efficient (i.e. limited to a certain downforce angle). Diffusers need to be half their current size. Get rid of carbon brakes and get steel rotors in there to lengthen braking distances thus making out-braking maneuvers more likely.
Surely less efficient front wings is going to make things worse - they've only just made them wider!

Problem with going back to old school brakes - is that then the other formula will have more efficient brakes. This is meant to be the pinnacle of motor sport......

jlspx
jlspx

rewarding the same points for position in qualify as race, pole-25, 2nd-18...etc and also for the constructor, add both points for year round championship. by doing so, this will encourage team and driver takes pole and no less. the race itself has been proven for years that the fastest driver and car will still take lead at the end of the race, all the difference is we as viewers will see lots of action on the track instead of fastest car pulling away 30secs at lap 10. FIA has been doing so much thinking about how to let car passing each other like proving clean air or extra horse power to ones behinds, the truth is, with current line up, the most technical advance teams and driver will just pull away as what we are seeing. reversing the line up doesn't even cost any team any expense and the fun can be least as much the whole race. aggressive overtaking?!! isn't that what racing is all about?!!

Hannah.
Hannah.

In my opinion, it wouldn't work and not only that but it's not very F1ish, is it?
The way I see it is that in F1, the best F1 drivers + cars should win, not be penilised because they are quick. Besides they'd be all sorts of strategists working out how to maximise the points during qualifying while still getting decent race points and it'd all become TOO thought out. I just can't see it working at all...

Personally, I believe the way forward lies in water sprinklers :lol: