Is Alonso's left hand injured?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
dp35

Is Alonso's left hand injured?

During today's practice report, Speed TV commentators Steve Matchett and David Hobbs noticed that during the on board footage of Alonso, he seemed to be favoring his left hand. They pointed out that Alonso -
- was basically driving one handed, barely gripping the wheel with his left hand,
- was adjusting things like brake bias with only his right hand,
- had extra padding on his left glove,
- had new cockpit padding around the hand area that Massa didn't have,
- and has a new €10 million insurance policy on his thumbs.

They also speculated about his body language and stretching of his left arm in the paddock.

Anyone heard anything about a possible injury?

wesley123

Re: Is Alonso's left hand injured?

no, he was making use of the F-Duct, wich he has to close with that hand
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

thestig84

I noticed this. Also Lewis Hamilton was shown doing it twice, it had me wondering

WhiteBlue

This video shows how the Ferrari F-duct is activated.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAQVIICLdVY[/youtube]

Look at the black Neoprene patch on the upper side of the left glove in the following pic which seals the control vent.

In the next pic you can see how Alonso only keeps the finger tips on the wheel in order to seal the control vent with the back of his glove.

The last picture shows how he grips back the steering wheel with his left hand at the end of the straight coming up to the 50 m board and the Neoprene patch becomes visible again.

Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

jon-mullen

Alonso and Massa were fastest through the traps during FP1 at 310 kmph, Hamilton and Button in FP2 at 309.

Shouldn't be long before every driver is like a one man band, or a Dutch boy with his fingers in a dam.
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

tok-tokkie

Thanks WB. Very clear what he is doing with his left hand. So the question is, what is the route of the air? From the inlets behind the engine intake forwards & down into the cockpit & then back to the wing as postulated in an earlier picture post?

EDIT: I posted this before reading the F10 thread where this point is under discussion.