What recovery drive was the best for you?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
raymondu999

What recovery drive was the best for you?

Hey all. Just wondering. What are the races that you feel are best in terms of a driver nursing a problem home? I remember the (1995?) Spanish Grand Prix when Schumi was stuck in 6th gear... Or that could've been 5th.

Then we had a few this year too. A clutchless Alonso in Malaysia. Vettel somewhat half-recovering in the ending laps of Bahrain (his laptimes dropped again to pretty decent times even with the sparkplug misfire) and also Spain where he had to pretty much do 5 laps or so without brakes.

Which was the most impressive for you? Any others you remember? But I think (though not a fan of Schumi) that the Barcelona race with him stuck in 5th was undoubtedly the most amazing.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Italiano
Italiano

Re: What recovery drive was the best for you?

Brasil 2006 by Mr. Schumacher. Watching that was once in a lifetime opportunity..
#Forza Michael #Forza Jules

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

raymondu99 - he was stuck in 5th and still managed a pit stop and to finish second.

The best 3 best drives I can think of are all from Schumacher:

1. Spain 1996 - not a recover drive but amazing noe the less.
2. Belgium 1995 - had it all. 16th to 1st and made Damon Hill go running to the race stewards all for the crime of a firm but fair pass.
3. Sapin 1994 - stuck in 5th for most of the race and still finished 2nd.

mike
mike

Kimi Raikkonen 05 Japan 17th-1st
Kimi Raikkonen 06 Bahrain 22nd-3rd

Pandamasque

mike wrote:Kimi Raikkonen 05 Japan 17th-1st
+1

Traction

Monaco..1990 something, Mansell in front leading Senna by a huge margin gets a 'puncture', limps around half the track to the pits and when he returns to the track Senna is something like 15 secs ahead of him on old tyres. Mansell catches him in about 5or something laps and with 1or 2 laps remaining is all over him. Senna plays is sooooooo calm and brilliantly and makes his car just a bit to wide for Mansell to get by and eventually wins. I was a massive massive NM fan and literally had tears spurring him on. But holy ships I had to give it to Senna....what a win, what a drive, what a driver.
Generally I don't care about what people say. I have to be clear with myself. When everything goes well, people celebrate you, when you make mistakes people criticize you.
Sebastian Vettel

PlatinumZealot

Button 2011 Canada.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Giblet
Giblet

Also Button in Brazil 09. Not so much a comeback, but still a charge through the field. That was not a small job he had to do there, and the conditions were dry and his car was no longer dominant. That was clutch.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

marcush.
marcush.

I think buttons Cnada win is really outstanding considering what happened to him and he still won..

beelsebob
beelsebob

For me, Button's drive in Canada was probably the best I've seen, simply because of the tiny number of laps he got from 21st to 1st in.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

andrew wrote: 2. Belgium 1995 - had it all. 16th to 1st and made Damon Hill go running to the race stewards all for the crime of a firm but fair pass.
This would be the one where the stewards agreed with Hill and gave Schumacher a 1 race ban?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

andrew
andrew

He was given a one race suspended ban all for the crime of firm but fair racing.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

andrew wrote:He was given a one race suspended ban all for the crime of firm but fair racing.
I might remind you of that the next time you're moaning about Hamilton not being an angel... :wink:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

andrew
andrew

In that instance I don't recall Schumacher driving into anyone else.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Schumacher has driven in to plenty of people though, need I remind you how he sealed his first championship? Don't go preaching he's 'firm but fair', he's ruthless, and that's what makes him one of the best.

On Topic. Jenson's drive in Canada was one of the most impressive 'from the back of the field' drives I've seen in a long time.

I would have to say Hamilton's GP2 drive in Turkey '06 is the most impressive in recent memory. Spins on the second lap which put him right at the back of the field. Spends the rest of the 23 lap race storming through the field to finish in second position. In my opinion it was probably the drive that really got him noticed that year.

Lewis should probably watch this race again, learn where he's been going wrong lately, such a brilliant race.