COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

WilliamsF1 wrote:HS,

What is happening in this neighbouring property?

I believe that's where all or most of the helipads will be located.
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

strad

Formula 1 racing is coming to Austin and as the track and facilities take shape just outside of Austin, activity is beginning that will introduce and familiarize fans and motorsport enthusiasts with the excitement and an opportunity to learn more about Formula 1 racing.

Formula Expo™ in partnership with Circuit of Americas™ has announced the launch of the first public event in the run-up to the 2012 Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™. Formula Expo, set for June 16-17, 2012 at the Austin Convention Center, will be a multi-faceted event open to the public, which will provide families and motorsport enthusiasts the opportunity to connect to the race experience, history, technology and prestige of the Grand Prix.

“Formula Expo is a fusion of the top tier of motorsport and Austin culture and music,” said Ian Weightman, founder and president of Formula Expo. “We are thrilled with the support and interest being shown for this event, which will allow visitors to really understand why this is by far the most popular motorsport in the world.”
Austin Examiner.com
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Pup wrote:This statement adds a smidgen of clarity to the ownership situation. Or perhaps it just raises more questions.
In a statement today, Julie Loignon, a spokeswoman for the circuit said, “One of the partnerships Mr. McCombs has invested in is Accelerator Holdings LLC, which holds a minority interest in the Circuit of The Americas. Even if Mr. Hellmund was to acquire his pro-rata portion of Mr. McCombs’ shares of Accelerator Holdings, that portion would represent an approximate 2 percent interest in Circuit of the Americas. As such, Mr. Hellmund could not influence the seven-member board structure or management of Accelerator Holdings, let alone the board, management team or operations of Circuit of The Americas.”

Loignon added, “The circuit’s ownership seeks to resolve Mr. Hellmund’s dispute through arbitration, which was outlined and agreed to in writing by Mr. Hellmund,”
It's no surprise they'd answer by delaying, and imho, the statement begs more questions, as my co-admin asked:

"This COTA statement isn't surprising, but something doesn't make sense here. Wasn't Accelerator Holdings the parent company/majority owner of COTA? The statement seems to contradict that. Why would COTA want to diminish Accelerator? TH has been trying to look at the COTA books for months. Is this why? I also wonder if COTA is still looking for money to finish the project and are trying to calm investor fears."

Pup
Pup

Always a conspiracy. :roll:

The simple answer is that Accelerator was the seed investor of CotA, and as CotA gained more investors, the percentage ownership of Accelerator shrank. To either 5 or 10% of the total, it sounds. (I don't know if the 2% they mention would be the combined share, or just McComb's.)

It's a common setup for seed investments since it adds a layer of protection in case the thing goes tits up. This is what I meant back when I asked what exactly Helmund would be buying.
Last edited by Pup on 19 Apr 2012, 23:18, edited 1 time in total.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Hellmund responds:

http://www.pitpass.com/46087-Hellmund-r ... -statement

“Yesterday, Red McCombs refused to honor the buy-sell provisions set forth in the company agreement,” Wetzel said in a statement. “Full Throttle Productions therefore intends to enforce the buy-sell offer and acquire Mr. McCombs’s interest.”

The statement continued:

“Earlier this week, Bobby Epstein confirmed in a letter to Full Throttle that he too is interested in acquiring a portion of Mr. McCombs’s interest. Whether or not Mr. Epstein follows through with his plan, Full Throttle will ultimately own at least one-third of Accelerator Holdings.

“According to information provided by Mr. McCombs’s legal counsel, this stake would in turn translate into a significant ownership interest by Full Throttle in Circuit of the Americas (COTA). This interest in COTA may actually be larger than expected, an issue that will be made clear only after the court orders Mr. Epstein and Mr. McCombs to turn over the company books, which they have refused to do voluntarily.”
Last edited by hairy_scotsman on 19 Apr 2012, 23:48, edited 1 time in total.

Pup
Pup

In other words, they have no clue what they're offering to buy.

Richard
Richard

Pup wrote:I hereby move that we forgo the remaining 7 months of planned doom mongering and just enjoy watching the track take shape.

This is going to be an awesome course and race I think - and it's far time that we let the whole Hellmund/CotA saga stop coloring the discussion.

Would anyone like to second this motion? Can we treat this thread like we do the car threads, and limit it's discussion to track construction and progress? Can we make a deal amongst ourselves that we won't lace every news item posted with tidbits of personal propaganda? And if someone wants to continue to debate the politics behind the race or the machiavellian strategies of the owners, let them do so in a separate thread?
Seconded

As I've said in other threads blighted by long running sagas, it is only worth mentioning political matters when genuinely new facts emerge. Even then it is stretching it a bit far to use a reported 2% share in the business to divine the meaning of life, the universe and everything.

Edit - To clarify, I hope we don't dig up the old political machinations every time a new tidbit of information came out. Also I'd not want to see new threads created either.

countersteer
countersteer

Third...

WhiteBlue

I would support the motion to stop pretending that the track will not finish and the race cannot happen. That is clearly not the likely outcome when you look at the volume of work being done.

I would oppose the motion to stop discussing the ownership issue and transfer them to another thread. One thread about the race, the circuit project and all questions related is enough. If another one is opened we would have to switch to this one back for sources again and again. You then start searching and create more work.

If there is new information like above it should be posted here. If the mods feel that the discussion has gone off topic they can always lock the thread to let things cool down. It has happened before and can be done again.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

My buddy, the lead admin of Facebook.com/FoF1ATX, was among many Elroy residents who attended a meeting held by COTA reps tonight. He just updated me on what COTA brought to Elroy residents tonight regarding the traffic plan. He asked me to post his report.

If any of you can add to this, please feel free to do so.

Meeting with Circuit of the Americas – Draft Traffic Plan

04/19/2012 7:00 PM at Circuit of the Americas

COTA Reps – Julie Loignon, David Sweazy, Ali Putnam, Kevin T, Steven Elliot

Meeting Minutes...

-COTA collected contact info from residents in attendance.
-Traffic Plan will be submitted to Travis County in one week.

Access:
-Pedestrian bridge will lead from McAngus shuttle parking over creek to COTA.
-Pedestrian walk-in traffic still under consideration due to safety concerns.
-League of Bicycle Voters led by Chris Riley will park near Moore ’s crossing and have access to a free shuttle to COTA. (League cyclists only?)
-Impression: It seems unlikely fans will be allowed to walk in or ride bike into COTA
-Question was asked "What about race attendees who live in or are staying nearby? COTA had no answer.
-12 wreckers on call for bus issues
-Roads around COTA will be open to through traffic.
-Passes required to enter COTA property.

Traffic estimates for event:
-Friday 11/16 8am to 5pm 30 to 40k ppl
-Saturday 11/17 8am to 5pm 50k ppl
-Sunday 8am to 5:30pm 120k ppl
-Peak traffic expected 10:30am to 1:00pm
-All service traffic will be completed by 8:00am
-Law enforcement will manage the traffic flow.

Seating:
-Grandstands will seat 9 to 10k
-Paddock will seat 5 to 6k
-4 additional temporary seating areas
-Tents for hospitality
-Portable suites
-Seating for 40 to 50k in temporary bleachers

Parking:
-Parking onsite for 17k including F1 teams, FIA & FOM personnel, Paddock Club Members, Media, Suite holders, PSL holders, and hospitality staff.
-General admission will be shuttled in by bus.
-500 buses
-COTA has leased the Travis County Expo center for shuttle parking.
-Allowable carry on items still under consideration.
-Route from Expo Center includes Decker lane to FM973 to McAngus road to parking lots.
-A downtown parking area will also be used, location not determined.
-COTA is build 3 depots. 2 for buses, 1 for taxi cabs.
-Yellow lot for Taxis
-Blue lot for Downtown parking
-Orange lot for Expo parking

Camping:
-76 RV parking slots available along straightaway.
-Onsite camping information not available at this time.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

COTA & Pirelli just announced a promotional tie and a summer demo car tour of Texas.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/ ... relli.html

strad

I would like Xpensive et.al. to explain what is so horrible about "the Wall".
It is a fascia over concrete that lines the cut for the tunnel.
Austin has this:
Bahrain with all their money has this:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

lotus7
lotus7

Exactly .
The ground on the outsides of the walls is due to be backfilled and landscaped
The brown streaks on the face of the wall on the left was ground water that washed over the edge during the recent heavy rains . Once lansdscaped this should not happen

Pup
Pup

Sakhir was carved directly from stone like Petra - or to be more precise, Naqsh-i Rustam, as the architecture is clearly Persian. It's a difficult comparison.

strad

Nah...That's what we call DIRT :lol:
Sir Stirling Moss