COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

strad

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

:lol: Looks like the "wall" :lol:
I wonder what the FIAs take would be on the heavily rubbered in section of the straight? Would the cars come flying around and suddenly look like they hit flypaper :lol:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Lance Armstrong just tweeted this aerial photo of COTA. You can see the test area of paving around Turn 19.

Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

Pup
Pup

Looks like they've poured three or four slabs behind the pit building. And the concrete work on the grandstand looks to be about 2/3 complete. They're also allowing parking on the finished lot, which means they've probably got the curbing in place. Looks like the track is ready for paving from T1 to the esses, and perhaps around the hairpin as well. They still haven't filled in around the second tunnel, though.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Pup wrote:Looks like they've poured three or four slabs behind the pit building. And the concrete work on the grandstand looks to be about 2/3 complete. They're also allowing parking on the finished lot, which means they've probably got the curbing in place. Looks like the track is ready for paving from T1 to the esses, and perhaps around the hairpin as well. They still haven't filled in around the second tunnel, though.
Curbs are in place in that completed section of parking lot. There are several big holes that have been made between turns 10 & 12. You can't see them in that aerial shot, but you can in some other photos I've taken & posted... Don't know if there are any in the esses. Can't see down there. The stadium section is still in the relatively early stages of work. Also, from at least 10 to 12, the top layers haven't yet been added to the track. It's still ~3+ feet below grade out there.

FW17

strad wrote::lol: Looks like the "wall" :lol:
I wonder what the FIAs take would be on the heavily rubbered in section of the straight? Would the cars come flying around and suddenly look like they hit flypaper :lol:

:D
They could always use a rubber cleaning unit from the nearby airport befor the fia comes to town

Talking about walls, there is absolutely no wall for a driver to hit. This will be a great drivers track but also looks like a very forgiving track.

Great tracks always had a wall near by for a driver to smack like;

Wall of the champions, montreal

Tilke did his usual job, but should have added an element of danger to the circuit that is missing.

thearmofbarlow
thearmofbarlow

WilliamsF1 wrote: Tilke did his usual job, but should have added an element of danger to the circuit that is missing.
I suggest a pit of spikes that will open intermittently in the "arena" section.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

WilliamsF1 wrote:Talking about walls, there is absolutely no wall for a driver to hit. This will be a great drivers track but also looks like a very forgiving track.

Tilke did his usual job, but should have added an element of danger to the circuit that is missing.
I just don't think the FIA will allow it.

thearmofbarlow
thearmofbarlow

hairy_scotsman wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:Talking about walls, there is absolutely no wall for a driver to hit. This will be a great drivers track but also looks like a very forgiving track.

More importantly I wonder how blind apex cresting turns and a rather abrupt elevation change in the first turn won't lead to excitement.

Is there only one layer of pavement to lay down, or do they do multiple? How long are we thinking until surface completion? Two weeks?

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

thearmofbarlow wrote:
hairy_scotsman wrote:

More importantly I wonder how blind apex cresting turns and a rather abrupt elevation change in the first turn won't lead to excitement.

Is there only one layer of pavement to lay down, or do they do multiple? How long are we thinking until surface completion? Two weeks?
I agree that the track looks very exciting in many different areas. Hellmund & Schwantz did a fantastic job.

Re: the paving. 2 weeks is unlikely imho. What they did Tuesday was, as far as I can gather, a test area. Much of the track isn't yet ready for paving.

FW17

hairy_scotsman wrote:

FIA is always a mystery; Should have a look at Suzuka (from the s curves to degner 2), makes you wonder on the rules for grade 1 homologation.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

http://totalf1.com/full_story/view/4155 ... goes_down/
The Circuit of the Americas in Austin is beginning to take shape following the application of the first layer of asphalt on Tuesday.

Whilst it's believed construction remains behind schedule following heavy rainfall during the tail-end of 2011, application of the first of three layers of asphalt is promising.

The unique formula has been developed especially for the climate and region, according to Dr. Rainer Hart of Hart Consult International which has worked with Hermann Tilke on various F1 circuits.

The final layer won't be laid until a month before the event takes place in November to avoid damage from construction machinery.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Here's the latest flyby aerial photo, just tweeted by @mazzydan. I think I know that guy.

ETA: My bad. It's not the latest, It's from the 29th. But it gives another look.

Pup
Pup

Latest photos...

strad

Does look like it is coming together...Darest I get excited?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Pup
Pup

I am. The upside of their ticketing process is that it works for last minute travelers like me. I can get a good rate still on the riverwalk in San Antonio. If I drive over, the shuttle system would work well for me - stay in San Antonio and drive up on Sat and Sun morning - not have to worry about parking, not knowing the place, and all that. The Drury still has rooms for $150/night. Say tickets are in the $150 range; a few hundred for gas, a few hundred for food, and the wifey and I are hanging out at the esses for just over a grand, maybe $1500.