Cypher Group - F1's Second All-American Challenger

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Will they succeed at entering in 2011?

Poll ended at 24 Jun 2010, 21:37

Yes
13%
No
63%
Maybe
13%
Ask me later
13%

Total votes: 8

Belatti

Re: USF1 -- F1's All-American Challenger

Again!?!?!?! :o :shock:

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/formula-1-new ... 2011-grid/
American Cypher Group hoping to join 2011 grid
12 May 2010

The American Cypher Group, a collection of experienced Formula 1 engineers, is hoping to accumulate a sufficient budget to be able to submit an application to the FIA in order to join the 2011 World Championship, GPUpdate.net can exclusively reveal.

With US F1 having failed to make the grid at the start of the current campaign, Cypher wishes to take advantage of the available spot for the 2011 season although the group has no direct links with the outfit formed by Ken Anderson and Peter Windsor, neither of whom are involved in the project.

Cypher Group has explained that the squad, which would be Formula 1's first from the United States should it eventually make the grid, would be based in North Carolina; however, it does stress that the project remains in a preliminary phase.

"We will only place a full application should we achieve fully the budget we believe is required to do this properly," a Cypher Group spokesperson explained to GPUpdate.net on Wednesday evening.

"Even though we have some ex US F1 members in our mix, Cypher Group was not born of disgruntled ex US F1 employees. Cypher Group and its international members simply saw the potential of a US-based F1 team, the disappointment of the fans and the dreams of many young American engineers of having a home team. Hence we wish to give America the shot it deserves.

"Again we recognise that the time frame is not ideal, however we feel it has to be done now, due to the availability of a grid slot. But as we have stated, we will not submit a full entry unless we can fully achieve the budget we believe is required to do this properly."
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

nipo

Who's at the helm?

countersteer

Please Please... start a new thread for the Cypher group if we want to discuss. Let's not throw Cypher in the USF1 hole before they even get started.

I can hope can't I?

monkeyboy1976

donskar

monkeyboy1976 wrote:http://www.cyphergrp.com
Yuck! Repeating "experienced" twice in the first 11 words makes one wonder . . . ("methinks thou dost protest too much")

The diction is perfect Ron Dennis speak, with lots of "utilize, maximize, out of the box" etc.

"Whilst" is a dead giveaway a non-US speaker wrote the home page.

And why a "shopping cart"? Going to sell toasters?

Seriously, I devoutly hope they succeed.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Re: Cypher Group - F1's Second All-American Challenger

If they have enough cash, they are guaranteed entry.

Giblet

andrew wrote:If they have enough cash, they are guaranteed entry.
No they are not.

They are competing with other teams, like Epsilon, Stefan GP, Prodrive, and another I can't remember the name of off hand of the other, a GP2 team or something.

There aren't enough grid spots, I think there is only 1 available. They need to be the best to be selected.

Maybe I'll go buy a Cypher Group T shirt and Decal, so when they don't make the grid I own some odd schwag that will be rare and worth something in 50 years.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Giblet wrote:
andrew wrote:If they have enough cash, they are guaranteed entry.
No they are not.

They are competing with other teams, like Epsilon, Stefan GP, Prodrive, and another I can't remember the name of off hand of the other, a GP2 team or something.

There aren't enough grid spots, I think there is only 1 available. They need to be the best to be selected.

Maybe I'll go buy a Cypher Group T shirt and Decal, so when they don't make the grid I own some odd schwag that will be rare and worth something in 50 years.
T-shirt may be a sound investment. If they get in, you can say you helped fund them in a small way, if they don't get in and disappear it'll be a rarity. Win-win situation there.

There is only one grid slot available but I found it pretty strange when teams from Prodrive and Lola were turned down in favout of USF1. Mabye I'm just being cynical?

dumrick

Giblet wrote:They are competing with other teams, like Epsilon, Stefan GP, Prodrive, and another I can't remember the name of off hand of the other, a GP2 team or something.
That's Durango, a former GP2 team that highlights the irony of our F1-centered motorsport: a team that lacks funding and ability to compete successfuly in anything else, finds backing for a F1 bid...

I hope not to hear again from pranksters like Stefan GP and Prodrive is, at better, a very competent team running other people-designed cars. At least Epsilon has fine facilities and some know-how in making racing cars. Could be a Dome in the making. And just maybe the single grid slot will be transformed in 2...
http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/formula-1-news/234490/american-cypher-group-hoping-to-join-2011-grid/ wrote: "Even though we have some ex US F1 members in our mix, Cypher Group was not born of disgruntled ex US F1 employees.
That's maybe good news, apparently USF1 had some fine engineers on their payroll, it was the moron* of Ken's son that compromised the design work.

*for me, someone that leads a design team, reserves himself the right to design the chassis "solo", fails to do it on time and when finally releases it, it's just a revised copy of his dad's never raced Indycar project, qualifies as a "moron"

From Cypher's website:
IN SUPPORT OF THIS STRATEGY CYPHER IS IN CONTACT WITH ESTABLISHED MANUFACTURERS OF FORMULA ONE RACING CARS AND COMPONENTS
Maybe they are looking at cooperating with Toyota F1 at Cologne. That would be a serious move, since they have a huge know-how and are offering it.

WhiteBlue

dumrick wrote:Maybe they are looking at cooperating with Toyota F1 at Cologne. That would be a serious move, since they have a huge know-how and are offering it.
It would be good indeed to buy a project from an experienced manufacturer. If they get serious finance behind the project and with the Austin GP coming in 2012 they could be riding a nice wave.

The main rival will be Epsilon who seem to be in pole position with regard to resources and experience. Cypher should probably look for a new entry in 2012 or at buying a teams that is for sale like Toro Rosso or Sauber.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Belatti

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83865

US is the greatest market for Ferrari...
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

madtown77

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85051

It would seem that we may very well get another roller coaster ride again.
University of Wisconsin - Madison
Formula SAE: '06, '07, '08, '09

2007 Formula SAE World Champions
2008 Formula SAE at VIR Champions
2009 We switched engines and learned a lot...the hard way

xpensive

What can I say, that web-site has a content remarkaby similar to USF1's, "heritage" capitalizing on Dan Gurney/Phil Hill and equally free of any substance. While the language is not as poor as Stefan's, they should hire someone to proofread before posting on the web. For all that I know, this could just as well be about someone trying to offload a few tons of tee-shirts from a busted dot-com outfit or investment group?

But boy, would I be happy to have a team to kick around again!
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

xpensive

They have withdrawn and I'm devastated with disappointment.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"