Mclaren set up problems in Practice 2? or generally slow?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
autogyro
autogyro

Re: Mclaren set up problems in Practice 2? or generally slow

The problem is that they cannot copy RB because the rear of the macca is far more cluttered and presents a barn door to airflow by comparison to the smooth flow over the rear the RB has.
They have also failed to fully understand what RB are doing with the low exhaust aerodynamic effects.
Simply attempting to 'blow' exhaust into or over the diffuser has resulted in out of balance DF. The low exhaust has far wider application to the cars rear airflow than this.

segedunum
segedunum

ringo wrote:He wont drive like that in the race. Sometimes i think he experiments with driving on different lines. He may well notice the car is not at redbull's pace and he'll need to find ways to overtake. He's just feeling out the track and pushing the car over the edge. If he has to finish a race with it, he'll hold back in those trouble spots.
That's certainly possible, but it looked worryingly like how he drove last year in practice at Silverstone when the car had no real pace. You generally don't have those kinds of offs just because you're experimenting.

We'll see, but I think the car simply looks unbalanced.

internetf1fan
internetf1fan

Here's a solution to all of McLarens problems. Ditch the EBD and stick KERS back in the car because there is no way McLaren can win against RBR if they rely on Aero alone.

segedunum
segedunum

internetf1fan wrote:Here's a solution to all of McLarens problems. Ditch the EBD and stick KERS back in the car because there is no way McLaren can win against RBR if they rely on Aero alone.
That's a bit of a damning inditement against McLaren.

timbo
timbo

internetf1fan wrote:Here's a solution to all of McLarens problems. Ditch the EBD and stick KERS back in the car because there is no way McLaren can win against RBR if they rely on Aero alone.
I'm not sure rules allow to run F1 car with a trailer.

internetf1fan
internetf1fan

segedunum wrote:
That's a bit of a damning inditement against McLaren.
Well some teams are better at some stuff. Doesn't mean McLaren isn't better than RBR at other stuff. Put KERS back in and watch RBR sweat.

autogyro
autogyro

All RB needs is a compact KERS system
Hmmm..........

internetf1fan
internetf1fan

autogyro wrote:All RB needs is a compact KERS system
Hmmm..........
RBR might be better at aero, but I don't think they will be better than McLaren in their KERS implementation.

autogyro
autogyro

we will see

segedunum
segedunum

internetf1fan wrote:Well some teams are better at some stuff. Doesn't mean McLaren isn't better than RBR at other stuff. Put KERS back in and watch RBR sweat.
I'm afraid not finding downforce is not an option I'm afraid.

internetf1fan
internetf1fan

The down force is not the best but is good enough for 2 nd or 3 rd unlike in 2009. All they need is that extra bit more pace and we,ve all seen in 2009 how much of a difference kers makes during stars and passes.

timbo
timbo

internetf1fan wrote:The down force is not the best but is good enough for 2 nd or 3 rd unlike in 2009. All they need is that extra bit more pace and we,ve all seen in 2009 how much of a difference kers makes during stars and passes.
Once again you're so certain adding KERS won't require them to sacrifice anything.
IT IS NOT TRUE!
If they'd add KERS to their present car they'd end up somewhere alongside Hispania.
Most importantly, they won't probably be able to finish the race.

donskar
donskar

@timbo:

Thank you for inserting a little common sense into this thread.

Adding KERS would
probably be physically impossible
add weight
negatively affect balance and aero
have other negative impacts people smarter than me can add
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

internetf1fan
internetf1fan

It might backfire or it might work magically. We all saw how McLaren made KERS work in 2009 while most other teams failed to do so and eventually got rid of KERS from their cars.

What I am saying is there are other avenues of development and McLaren should not just go around bolting on parts from other cars that were specifically designed for the particular car.

If they rely on aero alone, they will never beat RBR. McLarens have always been legendary for kerb and bump riding as well as low speed traction, but this year they don't have even that. They are average at everything and seem to excel at nothing apart from top speed.

timbo
timbo

internetf1fan wrote:It might backfire or it might work magically. We all saw how McLaren made KERS work in 2009 while most other teams failed to do so and eventually got rid of KERS from their cars.
It took them more than half a season to make it work.
In a car that was designed around it.
How can you imagine it would work "magically"?
What I am saying is there are other avenues of development and McLaren should not just go around bolting on parts from other cars that were specifically designed for the particular car.
That is what you do in F1, even if you have fastest car.
You look for every idea no matter where it came from.