My 2010 Data Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ESPImperium
ESPImperium

My 2010 Data Thread

I know i was gonna start to show stuff after Spain and Turkey, but waited for a little longer before showing some stuff, heres some numbers:

Bad Boys List (Fines):

Fernando Alonso € 20,000
Mark Webber € 12,200
Pedro De La Rosa € 10,000
Vitaly Petrov € 8,400
Lewis Hamilton € 8,200
Jaime Alguersuari € 5,400
Timo Glock € 3,200
Nico Hulkenberg € 1,800
Adrian Sutil € 1,600
Bruno Senna € 1,600
Jenson Button € 1,400
Vitantonio Liuzzi € 1,000
Kamui Kobayashi € 400
Fairuz Fauzy € 400
Rubens Barrichello € 200

Race Failures (As per reason given on F1.com:

Event distance and laps by all compeditors, saftey car and red flag usage and probibilities, and season type distance and data:

Some other random graphs and figures:

Feel free to point out any critisisms. Also if anyone else has their own data to add, feel free to add what they have.

bar555
bar555

Re: My 2010 Data Thread

Amazing stats , brilliant work . Thanks again for sharing it with us =D>
Future is like walking into past......

Blog : http://formula1techandart.wordpress.com/
Twitter :http://twitter.com/bar555onF1

raceman

:shock:

WOW! That's amazing work ESP, fantastic. Thanks for sharing it with us on F1T. It will be more interesting, I hope, to see all the cumulative data at the end of the year and that will be a good reference point.

You are doing gr8 work mate, keep it up! =D>

hats off! :P

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Thanks all.

Its belive it or not incomplete. Damnd FIA website blew me out at Monaco on Jo Bauers Race report.

The thing is, when i tell you that theres been 118 engines used already this season, with the average driver on his 5th engine, and 94 gearboxes in use with the average driver on his 4th gearbox.

2009 saw 87 engines to the same point, with each driver on his 4th engine; there were 57 gearboxes used to the same point as well, with the average driver being on his 3rd gearbox.

Appart from the new teams hydrolic problems, i think that the 2010 regs are leaving the engines and gearboxes with more stress due to the fact they are lugging alot of fuel arround with 2008 levels of downforce. That is just a broad stroke guess-timation on my part tho.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Just worked out the average grid for 2010:

01 = Vettel
02 = Webber
03 = Hamilton
04 = Massa
05 = Button
06 = Alonso
07 = Rosberg
08 = Kubica
09 = Schumacher
10 = Sutil
11 = Barrichello
12 = Petrov
13 = Buemi
14 = Hulkenberg
15 = De La Rosa
16 = Kobiyashai
17 = Alguersauari
18 = Liuzzi
19 = Trulli
20 = Kovalainen
21 = Glock
22 = Senna
23 = Di grasi
24 = Chandhok
25 = Yamamotto

Fauzy, Di Resta and Klien not included as they havnt made it into a Quali session.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Compair the above to the average finishing posistions:

01 = Lewis Hamilton
02 = Jenson Button
03 = Fernando Alonso
04 = Nico Rosberg
05 = Mark Webber
06 = Sebastian Vettel
07 = Felipe Massa
08 = Robert Kubica
09 = Michael Schumacher
10 = Adrian Sutil
11 = Rubens Barrichello
12 = Jaime Alguersuari
13 = Vitantonio Liuzzi
14 = Vitaly Petrov
15 = Sébastien Buemi
16 = Nico Hulkenberg
17 = Kamui Kobayashi
18 = Karun Chandhok
19 = Bruno Senna
20 = Heikki Kovalainen
21 = Pedro De La Rosa
22 = Lucas Di Grassi
23 = Jarno Trulli
24 = Timo Glock
25 = Sakon Yamamoto

747heavy

=D>
nice & interesting analysis
well done !!!
Thank you
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

747heavy

Hi ESPImperium

Looking at your Race by Race fastest car chart and I´m a bit puzzled.
How do you calculate this chart?
I would have expected, that it shows the fastest car as 0% and then the other cars
at the respective distance (e.g. 0.5% behind).
But at some races (e.g. BAH, TUR,CAN etc.) there is no car at 0%, so who has the fastest car
and what is the reference?
Does that only includes the fastest car of each team or is it a average of the two cars?
Is this fastest race lap or qualifying lap or an average over the race distance?

Thanks !!

P.S.: Please don´t get me wrong. I´m not picking on your analysis, I think it´s great
so plese keep up the good work. Just wanted to look into a conversation with marcus about
the relative gap of HRT to the leading teams and their development speed/steps, and came across the questions above.
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

marcush.
marcush.

ESPImperium wrote:

the graph nicely shows some general trends:

up to Barcelona the performance across the field closed ,indicating that all teams involved got more out of their package .
In Barcelona with the first big development steps suddenly the field spread out again with HRT loosing as much as 2%in performance towards RB .
For most other teams it was aloss as well but less pronounced.
For Montecarlo interestingly the performance curve of HRT showed a clear upward trend again ..so something has lifted their performance after Barcelona as the improvement is paralell for all cosworth cars in montecarlo I´d interpret this as an engine related item,either cosworth has found power .
the performance converged towards the europe race ...possibly indicating that this circuit is not very selective?
But then again a huge step by RedBull for the british Grand prix setting back almost the whole field by almost 2%..this might be as ign of just were RedBulls
real strengths are but in all it is apparent that both in Barcelona and Greatbritain RedBull has improved the car significantly.
so with alot of simplification we could say RedBull has improved by almost 4% since barcelona even if we give an allowance for both tracks suiting their layout
we still can conclude that we see at least 2% of net performance gain...

747heavy

Hi ESPImperium

Sorry for high jacking your thread, if you don´t like this, please feel free to contact me or the moderators to delete my posts or start a new thread with them. It´s fine with me, I undertstand.

Your analysis, and Marcus question/statement in regards to the new teams, have interested me, so I did a analysis on my own.
It´s based on the fastest time the best car of each team has achieved during Qualifying.
It´s an "all out" car performance analysis, so I will use the fastest laptime of each car
during Qualifying. The time can be done in Q1, Q2 or Q3. If a Q2 time is faster then Q3, I will use the Q2 time.
It does not reflect the position at the end of Qualifying at all times (e.g. in Malaysia Kubicia has the fastest time in Q2 but is not on pole, still it was the fastest time during Qualifying, so Renault is listed as the fastest car in my analysis)

The difference is shown as percentage of the fastest time, this means the fastest car is allways listed as 0%.

Enjoy:

Performance of the Top Teams

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy33 ... ce2010.jpg
Last edited by 747heavy on 14 Aug 2010, 04:58, edited 2 times in total.
- Colin Chapman

747heavy

- Colin Chapman

747heavy

- Colin Chapman

747heavy

performance of the Cosworth powered teams

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy33 ... edcars.jpg
- Colin Chapman

747heavy

Looks like (IMHO), that McLaren, has catched up with RBR from Barcelona until Canada, but has lost more and more ground in outright qualifying car speed since.
Looks like that all teams lose since Valencia in relation to RBR (Ferrari being the exception in Hockenheim) in outright qualifying speed.
Wonder if this coincides with the "Flexi Wing" discussion.
Looks like that the new teams made some gains from Barcelona until Valencia, bridging the gap to the front, but now start to fall back again.
- Colin Chapman

marcush.
marcush.

747heavy wrote:performance of the Cosworth powered teams

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy33 ... edcars.jpg

how would we possibly explain the parallel trends all cosworth teams show on average?

There are two things they have all in common:

they use the same engine !
they are compared to the quickest car!

and going into the details..
Barcelona ,Silverstone and Hungary were the venues quasi made for RB ,not only the new teams ,all teams dramatically showed deficits towards rbr,so it does not make sense to count these performance gap increases towards a lack of form but towards a significant advanatge in concept of the RedBull car.

I almost think we should compare the other way round using HRT as a baseline as these obviously are NOT developing their car and should now also have converged towards the optimum in setup .They might have found the odd thing or two but from race three or 4 on I´m quite sure their car has not improved in terms of potential.