No more Monaco?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Should Monaco remain on the calendar?

Yes - They should continue as is.
64%
Yes - They should pay a fee and remain.
20%
No - Drop Monaco from the calendar.
16%

Total votes: 70

Giblet
Giblet

No more Monaco?

So Bernie has said that Monaco could be dropped to make room for a race in Russia or somewhere else.

I know losing Monaco is not a big deal to some, but I feel the race is far too important in terms of history and pushing the drivers to the limit.

The issue of course, as it always is with Bernie, is cash. Monaco is the only race that doesn't pay a fee, but I am sure they could cough up the cash if need be. If any place can afford a fee, it's Monaco. They wipe their bottoms with a minimum of $100 bills.

As for the drivers, it's one of the most important races to win and compete in. Seeing this race gone but China or Valencia still going would be a crime IMO.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

gridwalker
gridwalker

Re: No more Monaco?

Dump Barcelona first : both Monaco and Spain produce dull processions, but at least the barriers around Monte Carlo provide some entertainment when the drivers slip up ...
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

manchild
manchild

Placing Bernie's business in front of Monaco's tradition and contributions for motorpsort is shameful. If somenone should pay at all, than Bernie should pay to principality. There are fans who don't watch races on new purpose built circuits, but there isn't a fan who misses Monaco GP, no matter how dull sometimes it might be.

Speaking of Bernies television commercial rights business, 5 minutes of footage of yachts and harbor means more than 1.5 hours of state of the art GP in some desert.

The most dangerous thing that can happen to F1 is that fans start thinking "F1=Bernie". We've already seen a devastating effects on F1 in other similar issues like "FIA=MoSSley" and "Ferrari=Schumacher".

There was motorsport and F1 before any of those 3 mentioned appeared, and it will exist after their influence vanishes.

2 down one to go, ups - one back but underachieving.
Last edited by manchild on 20 Jul 2010, 16:40, edited 1 time in total.

tomislavp4

Dropping Monaco will be a nail in the coffin for F1 in my opinion. That is the only race i look forward to these days....if it happens it will be goodbye F1 for me and many others i believe. The sport is @ a crash course and some are preocupied with looking for places with more $$$ instead of trying to save it... sad.

donskar
donskar

tomislavp4 wrote:Dropping Monaco will be a nail in the coffin for F1 in my opinion. That is the only race i look forward to these days....if it happens it will be goodbye F1 for me and many others i believe. The sport is @ a crash course and some are preocupied with looking for places with more $$$ instead of trying to save it... sad.
Dropping Monaco wouldn't kill F1. As a "sport" -- as opposed to a marketing "event" -- it has been dead as long as Chapman and Enzo and Gilles Villeneuve.

We have to accept (because we really can't change) the fact that F1 is far more about making money as a marketing/advertising device than it is about human and technical competition. As far as Bernie and his masters (and FOM?) care, F1 could be a spec series (and I think it will become one) -- just so long as the money keeps rolling in.

BTW, I think Bernie is just using this threat as a lever to get his own way -- more races.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

forty-two

People often say that Monaco yields processional races but it does tend to show up silly errors by the drivers.

If the criteria for dropping a circuit from the calendar is having dull races, why are we stuck with Bahrain, Abu Dhabi etc. ???

I expect this is a little bit of Ecclestone Grandstanding, or a "Warning shot accross the bow" for Monaco.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

forty-two

Also, I see no reason why Monaco should be able to run a race without paying Lord Ecclestone when everyone else has to. Of all the places in the world who host F1 races, Monaco can afford it!
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

manchild
manchild

forty-two wrote:Also, I see no reason why Monaco should be able to run a race without paying Lord Ecclestone when everyone else has to. Of all the places in the world who host F1 races, Monaco can afford it!
Monaco doesn't have to pay anything. It hosted GP races when Bernie wasn't even born! Monaco is an institution, FOM and Bernie are temporary players.

Unfortunately, some of the circuits with similar tradition have fallen under FOM thanks to local politicians like Spa, Monza or Silverstone. Hats off for de Monaco's and how they preserved their dignity.

There are drivers who are paid to drive, and there are drivers who have to pay to drive. Same thing with GP hosts. Everybody wants Monaco, so Monaco doesn't have to pay, but gets paid.

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Circuits like Monaco have no place in modern F1. The cars are just too fast and the race is always dire, unless it rains and even then it is only just slightly interesting. I'm in favour of dumping Monaco.

Russia is generally an untapped market in terms of F1 so why not? As long as it is a good circuit and not a Tilke it should be ok.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

WhiteBlue

It's just one of Bernie's negotiation ploys. Best completely ignored.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Belatti
Belatti

andrew wrote:Circuits like Monaco have no place in modern F1. The cars are just too fast and the race is always dire, unless it rains and even then it is only just slightly interesting. I'm in favour of dumping Monaco.

Russia is generally an untapped market in terms of F1 so why not? As long as it is a good circuit and not a Tilke it should be ok.
You must be 15 years old, dont you?
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

andrew
andrew

Belatti wrote:
andrew wrote:Circuits like Monaco have no place in modern F1. The cars are just too fast and the race is always dire, unless it rains and even then it is only just slightly interesting. I'm in favour of dumping Monaco.

You must be 15 years old, dont you?
Nope, just don't like the Monaco GP and find the races a dull procession.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

I wouldn't lose any sleep over Monaco losing its place in the championship.

Sure, there are moments when it can sparkle and an F1 car though the swimming pool complex is just amazing but as a whole it is not suitable for modern F1.

If F1 wants to go to Monaco then it should be as an exhibition event. After all, lots of teams / drivers get involved in such things e.g. Goodwood Festival of Speed. Why not a Monaco festival?

I'd rather see Spa kept on the calendar than Monaco any day of the week.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

andrew
andrew

^^ +1