F1 drivers salaries.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Are F1 drivers paid too much?

Yes
44%
No
56%

Total votes: 79

Cam

Re: F1 drivers salaries.

Pierce89 wrote:
SectorOne wrote:I would have to agree :) I can think of many interviews where i cringe a bit in Hamilton interviews.
But he´s considered a superstar and that´s why he´s considered the most marketable athlete on the planet. (forgot the paper)
I can't see Hamilton as being more marketable than Christiano Ronaldo or even Messi. In the US, I see these two WAY more than I do Lewis and the US doesn't even like soccer.
Indeed Pierce89. Spot on. Don't believe me (many don't)? Ask Forbes

Hamilton comes in at 19 and there's only three (3) F1 drivers in the top 100. Only 6 of 100 are in racing.
• 2 - Ronaldo
• 4 - Messi
• 19 - Hamilton
• 21 - Alonso
• 83 - Vettel

Soccer has 15/100
Basketball 18/100
baseball 27/100

How's about that for some eye opening stats?
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Pierce89

Cam wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:
SectorOne wrote:I would have to agree :) I can think of many interviews where i cringe a bit in Hamilton interviews.
But he´s considered a superstar and that´s why he´s considered the most marketable athlete on the planet. (forgot the paper)
I can't see Hamilton as being more marketable than Christiano Ronaldo or even Messi. In the US, I see these two WAY more than I do Lewis and the US doesn't even like soccer.

Hamilton comes in at 19 and there's only three (3) F1 drivers in the top 100. Only 6 of 100 are in racing.
• 2 - Ronaldo
• 4 - Messi
• 19 - Hamilton
• 21 - Alonso
• 83 - Vettel

Soccer has 15/100
Basketball 18/100
baseball 27/100

Wow! I feel smart!
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Cam

Football kids. That's where the money is. Go kick a ball around, any shape. In fact, it's anywhere but racing. Which is amazing seeing the sums of cash floating around F1 - basically none of it goes to the 'stars'. Something very very wrong there.

Can you imagine Messi having to pay a team to play soccer? this is why these guys are on every bedroom wall and back of jersey at the park - they're superstars. F1, sadly, is a very expensive in-joke, at our expense.
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

SectorOne

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motors ... erson.html
Formula One driver Lewis Hamilton tops annual SportsPro magazine survey ahead of Cristiano Ronaldo, Usain Bolt and Sloane Stephens
Oh snap.
Last edited by SectorOne on 16 Jul 2014, 02:14, edited 1 time in total.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Cam

ringo wrote:Well you are comparing a sport where you hardly see the driver's eyes muchless his face 90% of the time to football where you see the player all the time. So there is a bigger advantage when it comes to marketing for a football player.
They also market things that the common man can buy, so naturally they will be more popular than a F1 driver.
I don't even think Shumacher ever attained the popularity of a David Becham, or Senna that of Pele or Maradona.
I don't think that is correct. It's purely about how the sport is governed combined with the pure audacity of FOM and others to funnel cash to their own pockets - not the sport. There is copious amount of cash in F1. If they invested that back into the sport and promoted the drivers - like they should - then you'd have heroes. But we don't, we have 'Maldonados'. F1 is just short of a laughing stock.

Look at baseball. A sport watched by 10's of millions. Compare that to F1 watched by 100's of millions. Baseball has over 3 times the amount of high paid sports stars and look at the audience figures. F1 has 22 drivers, Baseball has hundreds of players. Here's a sport that too is in viewer decline, yet can pay all these guys really well and the fans love them.

Racing has a massive PR mountain to climb and clowns like FOM and the FiA are not helping. There's an undertone of 'elitism', which most people hate. Partner that with competitions that don't pit the best against the best - and you have a plaything for the very rich where you 'pay to win'. That's not sport.

No F1 driver will ever be a true global sporting superstar, so long as that status quo continues.
― Socrates

Cam

SectorOne wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motors ... erson.html
Formula One driver Lewis Hamilton tops annual SportsPro magazine survey ahead of Cristiano Ronaldo, Usain Bolt and Sloane Stephens
Oh snap.
"oh Snap"?! - why do you have to lead every reply with a back handed jab? You bring these on yourself. Try having a rational discussion and be preparred to accept differnet sources of info. Juts because you post one link to a news article, does not make you automatically correct.

That list is published from one magazine. A sporting magazine. I sense some bias in there. Let's look at it and compare that to the top 100 from Forbes. Remember, your list is just a magazine opinion piece - it's based on nothing more than an idea coffered up over coffee that morning and some loose discussions with player managers (big shock there). Forbes tracks actual salaries - those of which reflect their sporting value. Key consideration there.

I'm happy to discuss this further and debate with others what they think, but you keep that attitude up of "snap" and I'm out. Don't look for a fight then complain when you get one.
The world’s 50 most marketable athletes 2014 – the top ten
1) Lewis Hamilton – motorsport, Great Britain
2) Virat Kohli – cricket, India
3) Robert Griffin III – NFL, USA
4) Cristiano Ronaldo – football, Portugal
5) Grigor Dimitrov – tennis, Bulgaria
6) Usain Bolt – athletics, Jamaica
7) Neymar – football, Brazil
8) Missy Franklin – swimming, USA
9) Blake Griffin – NBA, USA
10) Sloane Stephens – tennis, USA
― Socrates

Pierce89

Oh snap.
The list was compiled right before Monaco, when Hamilton had won four straight and had yet to constantly stick his foot in his mouth. I bet his agency hasn't been quite as impressed since Monaco.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Cam wrote:
Oh snap.
"oh Snap"?! - why do you have to lead every reply with a back handed jab? [...] I'm happy to discuss this further and debate with others what they think, but you keep that attitude up of "snap" and I'm out. Don't look for a fight then complain when you get one.
"Snap" is an utterance from a card game where one attempts to win the cards by spotting that your opponent has laid the same card you and the shouting "snap!". It infers that the article he has referenced gives the same result as one previously referenced.

I guess there's a cultural difference at play but it certainly doesn't look like an attempt to start a fight.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Cam wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:

• 2 - Ronaldo
• 4 - Messi
• 19 - Hamilton
• 21 - Alonso
• 83 - Vettel

Soccer has 15/100
Basketball 18/100
baseball 27/100

That Forbes info is a list of salaries. That is no the same as being marketable. Marketability is about being able to sell things for others by association, not about how much one is paid oneself.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

SectorOne

Just_a_fan wrote:I guess there's a cultural difference at play but it certainly doesn't look like an attempt to start a fight.
Nope, just Cam being Cam and above all let´s me know i made the right choice ignoring him.
(he still thinks i read it somehow, maybe one day he will realize i don´t)
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Waywardism
Waywardism

Cam wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:

• 2 - Ronaldo
• 4 - Messi
• 19 - Hamilton
• 21 - Alonso
• 83 - Vettel

Soccer has 15/100
Basketball 18/100
baseball 27/100

Thing is there are only 22(ish) F1 drivers at any given time, and at least half of those are never competing for a win. At any time there are only 5 or so big teams in F1 and only driving for those can you potentially be a superstar and command an 8-figure salary.

In football you have Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Juventus, AC Milan. That's 10 huge teams right there with global fan bases, with a starting line up of 11 men that's 110 potential superstars compared to the 6-10 of F1, and I think that's being pretty conservative from the football side.

Spacepace

Number one is Floyd Mayweather but I guess that's not a salary

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

SectorOne wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:I guess there's a cultural difference at play but it certainly doesn't look like an attempt to start a fight.
Nope, just Cam being Cam and above all let´s me know i made the right choice ignoring him.
(he still thinks i read it somehow, maybe one day he will realize i don´t)
Thank you to alerting to me this fantastic feature.

Waywardism
Waywardism

Spacepace wrote:Number one is Floyd Mayweather but I guess that's not a salary
Yeah you can't really count boxers since they get a direct cut of the 'purse', same with tennis players and golfers earning prize money, they're not employed by anyone.

Cam

Pierce89 wrote:
Oh snap.
The list was compiled right before Monaco, when Hamilton had won four straight and had yet to constantly stick his foot in his mouth. I bet his agency hasn't been quite as impressed since Monaco.
Pierce89 - you're on a roll. That's the distinction here with 'marketability'. Anyone, at the right time (topical) is highly marketable. A swimmer who wins a gold medal all of sudden is selling cars and vitamins. But that doesn't last, because the moment passes. Hence their long term earnings reflect that. So who do companies go to when they want lasting marketing reach? For that, you can look to guides such as the Forbes top 100. That guide shows who's been paid the most. Those payments should include all income - including marketing revenue from sponsors - the more they're paid, the more sponsorship money they're getting - because the more in demand they are. So that type of guide shows you who's 'hot' over an extended period of time - which is perfect for long term campaigns as sponsors can see who's trending up.

A good example of this is how Vettel is well down the list - even though he's a 4 x WDC. Vettel is not very 'marketable' - hence his earnings reflect that. When he won the 4th WDC, that point in time, he was very marketable, more so than Hamilton, Alonso, even Ronaldo and Messi. But that ends, as it has shown. One could argue that Ricciardo has more marketability than Vettel right now - yet Ricciardo is not a long term factor (yet, possibly). It's quite possible Ricciardo and his winning smile will earn him more, longer, than any WDC.

I'm happy to discuss further and to consider other points of view, I simply ask when you copy/pasta a link (whoever it is), give some supporting information and a rationale into why you think that info is better - that's how discussions occur. The example from SectorOne, IMO, fell short of that.
― Socrates