GP2 America

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FW17

GP2 America

INDYCAR: Owners Reject 2012 Car

Another owner, who requested anonymity, was more blunt.

“This isn’t a revolt and we aren’t going to start another series, it’s plain and simple, we don’t have the money to buy new cars. Roger (Penske) and Chip (Ganassi) are saying the same thing. But the IndyCar series signed a deal with Dallara to spend our money without us signing off on it and we’re the guys writing the checks.

“What are they going to do if nobody buys it?”

With the open wheel championship in a mess, it time a new series with proper international backing takes root in the US. I am thinking Flavio Briatore with all his flair and ambitions should head back to the US and start a proper road racing open wheel championship under the guise of GP2 America with races in both north and south. With no shortage of tracks and the old panoz DP1 refurbished, I think it will form a decent championship.

American Le Mans Series started in 1999 and has grown in popularity since. It will also be a great way leverage for F1 teams to run the US GP2 with its huge marketing potential and fan base, there by stepping out of the realm of FIA and creating a breakaway series (when required).

GP2 America series will be the best way for young American men and women to showcase their talent in a international road racing championship and being a great stepping stone to F1.

ESPImperium

Re: GP2 America

I like your idea, but in reality its a zero chance one.

If there was a chance, id use the current Dallara GP2/08 chassis for one or two more year(s), with Renault/Mechachrome engines that is currently used. Id also invite other engine manufacturers to come in on the formule as well.

I feel that this could work better, but still zero chance.

Champ Car is a mess, but i think it will come out to being good in the end, somehow.

wesley123

ESPImperium wrote: Champ Car is a mess, but i think it will come out to being good in the end, somehow.
Only because there is no similair racing series in America.

I like the idea and i would love to see the Panoz take a spin again. The Panoz is more close to an F1 car thus it can bring some talent from US to the F1 and otherwise. For example look at Robert Doornbos, he couldnt get a seat in F1 and headed for the Champcars, who then drove the Panoz, he went to take i believe 3 wins and an third in the championship, in his bebuting year. Then the IRL and Champcars merged and they drove IRL's known Dallara's Lat year Doornbos signed with an championship level team, the guy was nowhere and his performance in the season was simply laughable.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

raymondu999

I think GP2 America would be a great idea. Open up America to more open-wheel racing, and more circuit-type racing. They'll get to know these things called "corners" and "turns" better :P
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ESPImperium

What 8 or 10 cuircits would it go to???

Laguna, Road America, Sebring, Watkins, Baber???

Id say it would be ideal for such an idea to have GP2 America and GP3 America as well. Get it to support the US GP, Canadian GP and Brazil as well, the the Americas based drivers access/exposure to the F1 management for a short while.

While we are at it, what about a longer GP2 and GP3 season as well in both Europe and Asia??? Get more stand-alone races too. Say have 2 standalone races more in Europe and then have about 6 more races in Asia; say one in Dubai as a stand-alone, 3 races following the Singapore-Japan-Korean swing, have them in a second standalone in Abu Dhabi as well.

Earnard Beccelstone

Some suggestions for road courses for a North American GP2 series, including Canada and Mexico. Pick apart the feasibility, suitability, availability as you feel like (my knowledge of US road circuits is limited):

US:

Watkins Glen – 3.4 miles
Road America - 4.05 mi
Seabring – 3.7 mi
Laguna Seca – 2.24 mi
Miller Motorsport Park – 4.48 mi
Mid-Ohio – 2.4 mi
Road Atlanta -2.54 mi
Sears Point – 2.5 mi
Barber Motorsports Park - 2.3 miles
Long Beach - 1.97 mi
St Petersburg - 1.8 mi

Canada

Montreal – 2.7 mi
Mont-Tremblant - 2.65 mi
Mosport – 2.46 mi

Mexico

Mexico City - 2.75 mi

Any more?

wesley123

Lime Rock, Indianapolis(oval), Las Vegas(oval), Daytona(Oval), Ponoco(Oval), Gateway(Oval), I believe most of the oval tracks got road courses too, but i dont like them that much really.

Also there are alot of street circuits in the US, like Detroit for example.

http://www.na-motorsports.com/Tracks/ this site houses all race tracks in northern america.

Also there are lots of tracks in the south. For example Buenos Aires

mx_tifoso

raymondu999 wrote:I think GP2 America would be a great idea. Open up America to more open-wheel racing, and more circuit-type racing. They'll get to know these things called "corners" and "turns" better :P
Just because NASCAR is the most famous American racing series doesn't mean that road racing isn't popular. I'd say that it's tremendously popular, although open-wheelers take the back seat to sports cars.

And if you don't or haven't lived here you can be forgiven for saying that, but if you do or have there's no excuse. :wink:

In fact, I'd say that almost every significant/large city has at least one road course (my city has 3 and each offer multiple layouts and various courses within the property). Could that be said of any Asian or Middle Eastern countries where F1 and GP2 are present?
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

raymondu999

Sorry not quite sure what you mean there... By road racing do you mean street racing, or racing on street circuits... or?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

mx_tifoso

Purpose built race circuits with "things called "corners" and "turns"." :)
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

ESPImperium

Road racing in US speak is anything that aint a oval and anything that includes something called a right hand turn to my best of knowlege.

alberto222mx

IMO The biggest mistake made by the CART Champcar owners was have the most of races in US, where the people likes more Nascar and ovals. At the end of 90's and early this decade CART had very good drivers and great races, in circuits and ovals but there weren´t so much crowd in tracks especially in US. In Canada, México, and Brasil the races were very succesful.
So I think any open wheel racing based on US tracks would fail as Champcar did and the IRL is going to, IMO.
"Why doesn´t someone tell Pedro it´s raining" - Chris Amon, 1000km Brands Hatch, 1970

FW17

IRL and CART raced in a lot of city and airport tracks, think they should stick to only road circuits like indy, barber, austin, laguna seca, watkins glen, wandering creek etc.

They should also bring in some long road races with a lot of danger for the first few years to spike the interest levels with courses like isle of man tt and targa florio

wesley123

WilliamsF1 wrote:IRL and CART raced in a lot of city and airport tracks, think they should stick to only road circuits like indy, barber, austin, laguna seca, watkins glen, wandering creek etc.

They should also bring in some long road races with a lot of danger for the first few years to spike the interest levels with courses like isle of man tt and targa florio
Those courses are not located in america...

FW17

I know isle of man tt and targa florio are not in america, but quiet sure a location like that can be ploted in the america