Clean sheet design for 2011 regs

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
raymondu999

Clean sheet design for 2011 regs

Sam Michael is discussing that the regs require a clean sheet design for next year: http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx ... 6&PO=49146
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

WhiteBlue

Re: Clean sheet design for 2011 regs

And why do you think this is worthy of opening a new thread? You do not seem to have an opinion of your own to share. There is no prize for opening the most useless threads in this forum. If we had one I would nominate the OP.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

SiLo

Thats a bit harsh isn't it WhiteBlue? He was only informing us.
Felipe Baby!

JohnsonsEvilTwin

I would think that this possibly deserves its own thread.

I Have discussed(nee argued) with some people for quite a while over this matter. 2011 will not be as evolutionary as as 2010.
It wont be as revolutionary as 2009 granted, but the DD and Fduct ban will force people to change tack somewhat.

Factor in the mandatory weight distribution AND new tyre company and you have a recipe to restart many lines of thinking.
More could have been done.
David Purley

Scotracer

WhiteBlue wrote:And why do you think this is worthy of opening a new thread? You do not seem to have an opinion of your own to share. There is no prize for opening the most useless threads in this forum. If we had one I would nominate the OP.
Oh lighten up.
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

marcush.

Factor in some basic pathe one or another team has opened and possibily will be closed now...i feel the teams will suffer more or less.

splitter with separate lives,maybe further severed front wing testing..
yes it still has 4 wheels but my impression is teams will need to look into new areas of development to eak out advantages..

747heavy

factor in KERS
I´m quite sure, that the changes to the current geneartion cars, are quite substancial.
OTAH, the cream will raise to the top, as it allways does. Therefor I can´t see a team like HRT,STR or FI stealing a march at the opposition. It will boil down to the typical suspects-IMHO.
Maybe Merc and/or renault can spring a surprise, but the others will catch up.
A good/competent team, will remain a good/competent team.
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

Saribro

So: Clean sheet for 2009, clean sheet for 2011, clean sheet for 2013,...
Weren't we trying to _reduce_ cost?

ESPImperium

Heres my take on it for each team for 2011:

Red Bull: Evolution of RB6 as per Adrian Newey tradition.
McLarnen: Partial evolution, partial clean sheet as Mclaren Tradition.
Ferarri: Evolution of F10, third and last design evolution in Ferarri chassis chain.
Renault: Evolution of R30
Mercedes: Clean Sheet
Williams: Evolution of FW31
Force India: Evolution of VJM/03
Toro Rosso: Clean Sheet
Sauber: Clean Sheet
Lotus: Clean Sheet
Virgin: Clean Sheet
Hispania: Using Toyota TF110 modified for 2011 chassis
New Team: Clean Sheet

747heavy

=D> =D>
very good/valid point - Saribro
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

horse

I disagree about the Mercedes clean sheet. I think they have a good idea from this years car that will be important for next year. The loss of the f-duct and the movable rear wing will make the Mercedes air intake a nice piece of kit to have for optimising flow to the rear.

I also guess we will see the return of the louvred side pod exhausts as a blown diffuser will not be possible any more. I believe the RB7 should be the class of the field once more, as the 2009 RB5 was competitive without a DDD. However...

I think the main differentiator will be getting the weight distribution right for the new tyres and making KERS work. I suspect that all the teams will concentrate on these issues more than aerodynamic performance over the closed season. I can't see any new "substantial" aerodynamic gains being found for next year. No new "dead zones", so to speak.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

JohnsonsEvilTwin

ESPI

Williams is a clean slate for 2011.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/86338

As will a few more be......
More could have been done.
David Purley

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

WhiteBlue wrote:And why do you think this is worthy of opening a new thread? You do not seem to have an opinion of your own to share. There is no prize for opening the most useless threads in this forum. If we had one I would nominate the OP.
Did you not open one regarding Hamilton spliting from his Nicole Whatsherface? That's wasn't very technical was it?

One does not need an opinion to open a new thread, but one does have the desire to establish and discuss others opions. If no one does this then no one would learn [-X

A very worthy thread indeed. =D>

I think that there are too many changes being brought in at once. As Sam Michaels correctly states it is not an evolution. Confusion may well be rife with "clarification" of the regs needed yet again.

Confused_Andy

This year's Williams the FW32 was a clean sheet from last year, although looks very evolutionary apparently it isnt. Why are Williams not evolving this design which is coming of age and collecting points regularly?

The problem at the start of the season was a brand new car which wasnt on the pace, why do the same next year?...

nacho

What's interesting that some of 2010 cars are an evolution from the 2009 single diffusers cars, of which the Red Bull was far above the rest, will the 2011 be yet another evolution of the same concept...