Different colour wheels for Button and Hamilton?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PlatinumZealot

Different colour wheels for Button and Hamilton?

Can't help but notice that Button's car has Matte Black rims and Hamilton has chrome coated rims. I mean is this a first in Formula 1? Drivers personalizing their cars? Or is are those wheels (not tyres!) just randomly allocated?

edit.. sorry..just checked sometimes Button has chrome wheels too..well make of it what you will :lol:
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌
🟤🟤 Coco puffs are my favourite too! 🟤🟤

Pandamasque

Re: Different colour wheels for Button and Hamilton?

Sauber used to run with differently coloured mirrors for their two cars. Red and yellow, AFAIK. I'd like the teams to use slightly different liveries for their cars, like it's done in sportscar racing. It would be easier to tell the team mates apart.

PS: LH likes it bling. Everyone knows that. If he could he'd run 32'' chrome ones with spinners.

Giblet

Pandamasque wrote:Sauber used to run with differently coloured mirrors for their two cars. Red and yellow, AFAIK. I'd like the teams to use slightly different liveries for their cars, like it's done in sportscar racing. It would be easier to tell the team mates apart.

PS: LH likes it bling. Everyone knows that. If he could he'd run 32'' chrome ones with spinners.

Yeah the sporting rule about exact same liveries has little point I can see. Since the teams can change their livery race to race, why not different on two cars on the same team.

It would allow some sponsors to get a little bit creative, showcasing a couple of their brands at once under the same general color scheme. I'd love to see the winning Mclaren driver in the next race running their winning orange/red color on the car.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Pup
Pup

Favoritism, plain and simple.

Actually, the rules explicitly disallow running different liveries on the cars. I've never heard a logical reason why, maybe so one team doesn't hog the sponsors?

timbo

Pup wrote:Favoritism, plain and simple.

Actually, the rules explicitly disallow running different liveries on the cars. I've never heard a logical reason why, maybe so one team doesn't hog the sponsors?
Bernie is an Englishman, he doesn't want his circus to be Brazilian festival :P

Well, I do think same livery has a point. IMO it adds to the team identity which is good.

feynman

Yeah I noticed the wheels.

Both McLarens have been running chromed rims since the start of the year, and both were chrome in Belgium.

I am wondering if they have run out of this years rims and using some from last year.
One of the stories that apparently apalled that daft old idiot Max was how lightweight McLaren built the rims, such that they'd break and bend dozens of them every year putting the tyres on.