Importance of an F1 driver's personal appearence?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
xpensive
xpensive

Importance of an F1 driver's personal appearence?

The pic of Nick Heidfeld on F1T's top prompted me to start this thread, are team-owners and sponsors indifferent to the driver's personal appearence, I remember both Kimi and Alonso had to roll up their socks when driving for Ron Dennis?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

donskar
donskar

Re: Importance of an F1 driver's personal appearence?

Speaking from my experience at Compaq when we sponsored Williams, sponsors absolutely DO care about the driver's appearance. It is a given that the driver and team personnel will represent a positive image, in dress and public behavior. James Hunt, Masten Gregory, Willy Mairesse, and "the Monza Gorilla" would have some difficulty with sponsors these days.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

gridwalker
gridwalker

Good job that Sauber have virtually zero sponsors then! ;)
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

raymondu999

Yes but they have a delicious one :mrgreen:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

gridwalker
gridwalker

... which is likely to be Pedro's next employer :twisted:

"Do you want fries with that?"
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

jon-mullen

Personal appearance? Of course not. We all know seats at the top levels of open-wheel racing are never given to drivers for attractiveness, how much money they have, or who their dad is.

What was I saying? I just got the crazy urge to buy a Honda with Sparco seats and a Pioneer system.
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

Phail

If sponsors really don't care about a driver's appearance...I wonder how long Alonso's hair will be by now

donskar
donskar

jon-mullen wrote:Personal appearance? Of course not. We all know seats at the top levels of open-wheel racing are never given to drivers for attractiveness, how much money they have, or who their dad is.

What was I saying? I just got the crazy urge to buy a Honda with Sparco seats and a Pioneer system.
=D> =D> =D>

Beats the %$!#!)(! out of Lella Lombardi!
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

xpensive
xpensive

But the big mystery for me, is how Nick Heidfeld could get a drive for both Pirelli and Sauber with that 90s grunge-look?

Belatti
Belatti

Do you all remeber this?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 889136.ece
Just before Max Mosley, the FIA chief, was exposed on film appearing to enjoy his exotic encounter, the head of its rally division endorsed a complaint over the unkempt appearance of Loeb, 34. The Alsace-born driver, world champion for the past four years and one of the biggest stars in rally history, has recently adopted longer hair and stubble. “The same thing happens in football and other virile sports. Of course such people are an insult to real men,” Morrie Chandler wrote in an e-mail, according to Le Figaro newspaper. He asked the FIA’s television body to limit the air time given to scruffy winners and avoid close-ups, to avoid bringing the sport into ill repute.

“How can one of its most senior figures criticise a driver for his appearance when President Mosley refuses to consider the sexual scandal in which he is implicated . . . to be damaging to the institution which he directs?” Le Figaro asked.

Alain Pernot, rally correspondent for Sport Auto magazine, called the attitude of the FIA ridiculous. “Sébastien Loeb does nothing that shocks good morals,” he said, alluding to Mr Mosley. Mr Chandler, a New Zealander, took up a complaint from Surinder Thatthi, the head of African motorsport, who was upset by Loeb’s appearance on the podium after winning the Mexico rally. “He is a hero and a model . . . He is going too far,” Mr Thatthi was quoted as saying.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Belatti
Belatti

Aint this more "grunge" than Heidfeld?

"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

carvetia
carvetia

Belatti wrote:Aint this more "grunge" than Heidfeld?
Nope, just public school playboy 8)

Anyhow, do you think this particular topic might factor into Renault's driver choices? They have Kubica, one of my favourite drivers on the grid, and Kimi, one of my favourites off it, but neither are particularly... hmm... media savvy?! Can you imagine a Renault 1-2 driver's conference? :lol:

segedunum
segedunum

xpensive wrote:But the big mystery for me, is how Nick Heidfeld could get a drive for both Pirelli and Sauber with that 90s grunge-look?
I always thought he was going for the Das Boot look.

xpensive
xpensive

carvetia wrote: ...
Anyhow, do you think this particular topic might factor into Renault's driver choices? They have Kubica, one of my favourite drivers on the grid, and Kimi, one of my favourites off it, but neither are particularly... hmm... media savvy?! Can you imagine a Renault 1-2 driver's conference? :lol:
Nothing like the feast of spontaneous outbursts coming from a 1-2 conference with Häkkinen and Raikkonen!
Last edited by xpensive on 16 Sep 2010, 14:56, edited 1 time in total.

marcush.
marcush.

for sure Heidfeld can say he does not get his jobs for his haircut or face hair ....Isn´t it wonderful some people get recognised for what they ARE and not for what they look like?
Pedro is the prototype of a smart latino good looks softly spoken... it ´s nice to have
a presentable drivere ..but if you do not deliver the haircut will not save your job and it will not make you loose it.

As for Heidfeld he´s a very nice bloke and surely a dream to work with ..I´m not sure if James Hunt was anything like that for a sponsor ..but of course the fag was for real so maybe it was something that fited quite well with Marlboro back then...playboy image not played but for real..