Lotus Racing announced it will change its name to Team Lotus

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Italiano

Re: Lotus Racing announced it will change its name to Team L

After Eight sponsorship for the whole car. /thread
#Forza Michael #Forza Jules

GTO

WilliamsF1 wrote:
2011 F1 entry list as published by the FIA
1 Sebastian Vettel (DEU) Red Bull Racing (AUT) Red Bull Racing Renault
2 Mark Webber (AUS) Red Bull Racing (AUT) Red Bull Racing Renault
3 Jenson Button (GBR) Vodafone Mclaren Mercedes (GBR) Mclaren Mercedes
4 Lewis Hamilton (GBR) Vodafone Mclaren Mercedes (GBR) Mclaren Mercedes
5 Fernando Alonso (ESP) Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro (ITA) Ferrari
6 Felipe Massa (BRA) Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro (ITA) Ferrari
7 Michael Schumacher (DEU) Mercedes GP Petronas F1 Team (DEU) Mercedes
8 Nico Rosberg (DEU) Mercedes GP Petronas F1 Team (DEU) Mercedes
9 Robert Kubica (POL) Renault F1 Team (FRA) Renault
10 TBA Renault F1 Team (FRA) Renault
11 Rubens Barrichello (BRA) At&T Williams (GBR) Williams Cosworth
12 TBA At&T Williams (GBR) Williams Cosworth
14 TBA Force India F1 Team (Ind) Force India Mercedes
15 TBA Force India F1 Team (Ind) Force India Mercedes
16 Kamui Kobayashi (JPN) Sauber F1 Team (Che) Sauber Ferrari
17 Sergio Perez Mendoza (MEX) Sauber F1 Team (Che) Sauber Ferrari
18 TBA Scuderia Toro Rosso (ITA) Str Ferrari
19 TBA Scuderia Toro Rosso (ITA) Str Ferrari
20 Jarno Trulli (ITA) Team Lotus (MAL) Lotus Renault
21 Heikki Kovalainen (FIN) Team Lotus (MAL) Lotus Renault
22 TBA Hrt F1 Team (ESP) Hrt Cosworth
23 TBA Hrt F1 Team (ESP) Hrt Cosworth
24 TBA Marussia Virgin Racing (GBR) Virgin Cosworth
25 TBA Marussia Virgin Racing (GBR) Virgin Cosworth

More to follow
So is this issue closed
I don't think so.

A few interesting items to comment.
-Ferrari still has Marlboro in their team name...not Satander.
-Quite a few teams (Mercedes, Renault, Force Indaia, Sauber, STR, Lotus & HRT) don't have a title sponsor...will they get one prior to the start of new season? I am surprised how they can stay competitive with the big 3 teams without a title sponsor.

wesley123

GTO wrote: I don't think so.

-Quite a few teams (Mercedes, Renault, Force Indaia, Sauber, STR, Lotus & HRT) don't have a title sponsor...will they get one prior to the start of new season? I am surprised how they can stay competitive with the big 3 teams without a title sponsor.
When did you ever see FI with an title sponsor?

Part two is that title sponsor doesnt necessarily mean that it is incorporated in the name.

Also I clearly see Mercedes having an titel sponsor, STR never had an title sponsor, Lotus is pretty similair and who the hell would ever want to sponsor HRT?

Furthermore, the Santander sponsorship isnt incorporated into ferrari's name, Marlboro still invests in the team as an title sponsor at least until 2012
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

GTO

GTO wrote: I don't think so.

wesley123 wrote: When did you ever see FI with an title sponsor?
Replying to my question with a question doesn't help.
wesley123 wrote: Part two is that title sponsor doesnt necessarily mean that it is incorporated in the name.
That why it's termed "title sponsor".
wesley123 wrote: Also I clearly see Mercedes having an titel sponsor,
I don't think Petronas is a title sponsor. They're listed on the team website as one of several partners. Much the same as Shell is a technical partner to Ferrari.
wesley123 wrote: STR never had an title sponsor, Lotus is pretty similair...
Yes I know that. My question is Why? Are these teams asking for too much $$$? Should they reduce their terms slightly to stimulate sponsors?
wesley123 wrote: who the hell would ever want to sponsor HRT?
Whoever wants to use the F1 stage to advertize thier business. Granted, the team doesn't win races...the cars still circle the track & is visible to an audience at the track & via TV. Seems like a good stage to me.
wesley123 wrote: Marlboro still invests in the team as an title sponsor at least until 2012
2012, ok that I didn't know. Thanks.

donskar

While on the subject of Lotus . . . anyone know anything about Lotus building an IndyCar engine?

See Gordon Kirby http://www.gordonkirby.com/categories/c ... no263.html
Like all of us Bobby [Unser] is delighted with the news that Chevrolet and Lotus have committed to building both engines and 'aero kits' for IndyCar's new 2012 formula.
Good news for IndyCar racing, but I have to wonder if Lotus (whichever "Lotus" is being referred to) has the resources to succeed.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Byronrhys

wesley123 wrote: Part two is that title sponsor doesnt necessarily mean that it is incorporated in the name.
That why it's termed "title sponsor".
wesley123 wrote: Also I clearly see Mercedes having an titel sponsor,
I don't think Petronas is a title sponsor. They're listed on the team website as one of several partners. Much the same as Shell is a technical partner to Ferrari.
Mercedes GP Petronas F1 Team..... they were announced as title sponsors at the begining of the season, when they went to Malaysia they even said the race would be one of their home races because of their "title sponsor".

conni

donskar wrote:While on the subject of Lotus . . . anyone know anything about Lotus building an IndyCar engine?

See Gordon Kirby http://www.gordonkirby.com/categories/c ... no263.html
Like all of us Bobby [Unser] is delighted with the news that Chevrolet and Lotus have committed to building both engines and 'aero kits' for IndyCar's new 2012 formula.
Good news for IndyCar racing, but I have to wonder if Lotus (whichever "Lotus" is being referred to) has the resources to succeed.
its lotus cars nothing to do with lotus racing/ team lotus

conni

donskar

Thanks, conni.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

FW17

Imagetonyfernandes

Well we made the call after tremendous support from public. Team lotus it is. Sure there will be many battles ahead but higham is pumped.
about 11 hours ago via ÜberTwitter

mith

Yeah, but they (Lotus Group) can also end up in F1, if the gossips about them buying 25% share of Renault F1 Team from Renault (car manufacturer) will prove to be true. Or am I mistaken here and Lotus Cars =/ Lotus Group? But is it even possible to have three different Lotuses? ;)

Blackout

mith wrote:Yeah, but they (Lotus Group) can also end up in F1, if the gossips about them buying 25% share of Renault F1 Team from Renault (car manufacturer) will prove to be true. Or am I mistaken here and Lotus Cars =/ Lotus Group? But is it even possible to have three different Lotuses? ;)
Nothing is signed and nothing is done. We look at several options. Yes, there have been discussions, but they are much broader than those related to F1. There are good chances for an agreement to take place between Group Lotus and Proton Capital Genii, but we're not there yet.

There is also another rumor to the effect that Renault wants to sell its shares in the team, but it is false.

Gerard Lopez

mith

Oh, that clarifies a lot. Thanks as always Blackout!

Florio

Why? They are nothing like the old team.

agip

Lotus name dispute continuing due to 'public support'

A Lotus spokesman has confirmed that the identity of the team's name and race drivers for 2011 as revealed by the FIA on Tuesday is correct.

The F1 world was mildly surprised when the publication of the 2011 entry list showed Lotus referred to as 'Team Lotus', and both Jarno Trulli and Heikki Kovalainen confirmed as continuing race drivers.

It was expected that the team might need to adopt a different name for next season due to dispute with Proton-owned Group Lotus, who were rumoured to be eying a move into F1 in collaboration with Enstone based Renault.

But a team spokesman said the FIA information is correct, including the first official confirmation that Trulli and Kovalainen are staying together as drivers.

On the issue of the team's name, boss Tony Fernandes wrote on Twitter: "We made the call after tremendous support from (the) public. Team Lotus it is.

"Sure there will be many battles ahead but (team headquarters) Hingham is pumped," he added.

The reference to "battles" is a clear sign that the Team Lotus/Group Lotus dispute will still be argued in the London High Court at some point early next year.

Technical boss Mike Gascoyne said the news about the name and the drivers is "great for the team".

The Telegraph's F1 correspondent Tom Cary said the naming news is a sign that Fernandes "has the blessing of Bernie Ecclestone to proceed in this way".

As for the delay in the Group Lotus/Renault tie-up, and the entry list showing Renault as 'Renault F1 Team' rather than Lotus-Renault, Cary added: "Apparently the Malaysian government have told (Group Lotus CEO) Dany Bahar and Fernandes to play nice and end this confusion over the Lotus name".

"But there is still mileage in this story," he said.

CHT
CHT

Tony Fernandes is just using F1 as a publicity stun to promote Airasia, he should just do what Richard Branson did and call it Team Airasia instead of Team Lotus.