Russian GP agreed to run in Sochi from 2014

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Re: Russian GP agreed to run in Sochi from 2014

In what way is the first corner too close? That'll depend where on the straight the grid is positioned.

A short run to the first corner would be a lot better than a half mile long drag race.

astracrazy
astracrazy

so agreed to run in october - where the average temp is 11 deg

muhammadtalha-13
muhammadtalha-13

astracrazy wrote:so agreed to run in october - where the average temp is 11 deg
If it is going to be 11 degree, i hope Merc' will win :D :mrgreen:

FW17

Any thoughts on the layout?

Run through turn 3 looks very interesting like the one at Reliant Park huston

Should have thrown in a few mid 200 kph corner for more variation but overall the endless 90 degree corners make the circuit rather dull looking.

Last edited by FW17 on 13 Jan 2014, 13:09, edited 1 time in total.

Tim.Wright

300km/h in the middle of turn 3 seems a bit optimistic.
Not the engineer at Force India

SectorOne

And on top of that, absolutely mental.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

Turn 1 and 3 could be interesting to watch, although turn 1 probably will be flat out and not difficult to master. It reminds me a bit of turn 1 at Le Mans. The braking into turn 2 and 11 could provide some overtaking action, at least that's what i hope.

You can already study half of the track online: Bing maps
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

Miguel
Miguel

Kimi Raikkonen wrote: The first sector is OK. The rest is ---.
What's the point of that layout? Didn't we have enough 90º corners in Abu Dhabi or Singapore? Didn't we have enough street circuits already? What's the point in going 4 years to Korea and 3 to India to never go back?
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

turbof1

If they reach a top speed over 300 km/h on that track I'd be content with that. No way they'll reach 321 km/h; too many slow corners requiring near max downforce.

I think for a street circuit it's pretty ok actually. Turn 1,3 and 9-10 look very nice. Considering they had to cramp it in-between all those buildings, they did a good job. Turn 3 will be an arse though to follow the car in front closely.
#AeroFrodo

tuj
tuj

WhiteBlue: Your proposed schedule would put the USGP sometime in June or July, during which Austin is quite warm. I much prefer the Nov. time-frame, although I understand what you are attempting with travel consolidation.

BanMeToo
BanMeToo

I'm excited about a new venue, but the circuit itself? Nope. Nothing catches my eye other than 11-into-12, which I think will be taken faster than the listed 119KM/H. I don't like the essentially-fixed radius of turn 3: it seems to just add to the growing list of gimmicks in F1.

(I haven't committed myself to hating the circuit before a race actually takes place, just not optimistic at all.)

FW17

If 11 to 14 are removed and 15 made into a parabolica will it then be a monza aero package?

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

i've never seen a more boring and dull layout for an f1 track in my entire life. seriously.
this is supposed to be Russia's grand F1 track? for real? All the possibilities in the world
and they [tilke?] come up with this? #-o
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

SectorOne

It´s in a city so you can´t just draw what you want. Give him truly free hands and he will spit out things like Atlanta Motorsports Park.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

Google maps was updated, you can see much of the track and kerbs now. http://goo.gl/maps/x4BVU

Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)