New member - Bought an RA107

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
greenpower dude reloaded

Re: New member - Bought an RA107

Just saw this on twitter!

http://www.castlecombecircuit.co.uk/Cir ... ne/189.htm

Always nice to see a member get some press! Good luck in MonoLibre, sounds ace to me!

F1snake

Didn't know anyone was twittering about this, but did see the article in Motorsport News today. They like to focus on the female aspect and is a nice bit of publicity for Castle Combe's new MonoLibre series. As happens with the newspapers, they often dont get it quite right, as we are not going to be ready in time for this years series.

bettonracing
bettonracing

Well at least You know to expect an angry mob if You (she?) show(s) up with the Viper :)

Seeing them emphasize the noise regulation reminded me of a turbocharger's ability to supress noise, especially in the midrange (~1kHz to ~5kHz) frequencies... Just sharing thoughts. Not hinting anything... :wink:

Regards,

Kurt

F1snake

Hi Kurt,

Like your way of thinking, but I think for now, 500BHP will be a large enough handfull to start with, particularly in a car of such slight weight. And taking of Viper, you might remember the Viper engine/F1 mock-up a few pages back on this thread.....Well its in its rightfull place now, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8fYSO7C274 (My mate Paul getting his knees fried!) That car produces around 700 BHP, weighs 3 times as much as the Honda, and still lights up the wheels in every gear, so imagine what 500BHP will do to the Honda, which does not have to carry any ballast, as per current F1 rules. Will be plenty scary for us.....

RAF
RAF

Maybe you could hold an open day for F1 technical members in the area to visit and view the car. You could charge say £5 per head and they all get to have a close up look at an F1 car in a way that they wouldn't normally see. The funds could go towards the re-build. Just an idea. Might be a rubbish one. :oops:

bettonracing
bettonracing

F1snake,
Ignore the hp, and the host of other reasons why it doesn't make sense to turbocharge the engine (at least initially). Just focus on the noise suppression capabilities... :)

Speaking of ballast, are You selecting Your tyre sizes based on weight distribution estimates or do You expect to add some amount of ballast for distribution?

Regards,

Kurt

P.S. That Viper sounds amazing!

F1snake

Hi RAF

This is a subject we've touched on earlier in this thread, and I'd be very happy to arrange a day for members of this forum. I had in mind of doing this once the car is up and running at Silverstone, Castle Combe or another circuit. Meanwhile, if any forum member happens to be in the Bath area and wants to see the car, just send me a PM and it can be arranged. I wouldn't dream of charging, though.

Hi Kurt,

I think my next door neighbour would love us to turbo charge the engine......

Re ballast, then we have to have some on the car, as its the only way of corner weighting/balancing car. We dont have to run as much weight as it used to in its day, though. Tyre-wise we will try the original Bridgestones or the earlier Michelins to start with.

Regards - Bjorn

godlameroso

How do you get your hands on F1 tires? Would it be possible to use different wheels and tires, or does the suspension prohibit it? Finally how much does the car weight without ballast?
Saishū kōnā

Alge7a
Alge7a

i was recently working with this guy in Australia who owns Kiki Rosbergs Williams car that he won in. I was very surprised to hear that William still supports allot, if not all the parts to the car. Although i did get the feeling money was not an option for this guy. How are you finding BAR/Brawn/Mercedes in connection with this car or have you not been in touch?. Good luck by the way. I think its terrific.

jenkF1

Re: New member

Giblet wrote:My understanding was this car's biggest problem was a serious lack of stability under braking.
I think that was down to a stalling front wing, problem with wind tunnel results not translating on track.

What a purchase! Just hope you get a great engine and transmission for it matching the power and revs as much as you can.

netoperek
netoperek

F1Snake, once You'll have Your car running, I'll help You to meet the noise limits. I did my Masters Thesis on ASAC (Active Structural Acoustic Control) and know a bit about passive and semiactive methods too :)

F1snake

Thanks once again for your thoughts, advise and kind offers of help.

godlamaroso - Tires are not that easy to find. Luckily we have a few sets to get started with. The soft sidewalls of these tires, combined with low pressures (15F & 17R), does act as part of the suspension, so important to stick to a proper F1 tyre. I am aware that Avon makes some soft hillclimb tire the correct size, but remains to be seen if any good for this car? We aim for a total weight of 500kg, with the ballast needed to balance the car. I haven't actually weighed the car without ballast yet.

netoprek - Many thanks for the kind offer, something we might well take you up on in due course. Janspeed has promised to come up with a solution for the exhaust, but they could likely do with your expert advice.

Alge7a - We have been in touch with Mercedes GP and they were very kind and have helped us along with some bits and pieces. I think they would love to be more involved, but just can't do it for liability issues. Luckily we have made contact with ex. chief mechanic Alastair Gibson, who's lending us a very useful hand with most aspects of the car.

F1snake

Here's a the very first couple of pics of RA107-05's new engine, and what a little beauty the H1 V8 is! Looks like John is getting on with it and will deliver a shorter build time than the 6 months initially mentioned.

Formula None
Formula None

How are the new gearbox internals coming along?

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

That engine is shiny!!!

Whats the full spec of the engine?
And is that engine using the Honda RA807E engine mounting points on the tub???