Why Lewis was right by backing down from Button's triathlon

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
internetf1fan
internetf1fan

Why Lewis was right by backing down from Button's triathlon

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/others ... thlon.html

Anyone remember this? People on forums were calling Lewis and his dad, then manager, cowards and daddy's boy, he had no life of his own etc.

And now we have seen what has happened to Webber and Kubica.

Hamilton(s) made the right choice and it was stupid that many people couldn't see the risk that a triathlon has.

=D>

Sebp

Re: Why Lewis was right by backing down from Button's triath

Drivers are grown-ups, not some teams' or fans' pet. They make their own decisions (hopefully), whether it is to go rallying or to take part in a triathlon. All at their own risk. I'm guessing a lot of racing drivers are adrenalin-junkies. So when they can't get their kicks while doing their job, they seek other means to satisfy their needs. It's part of who they are!

Earnard Beccelstone
Earnard Beccelstone

So Jensen is fine to compete in a triathlon, but somehow a triathlon is a risk for Lewis? If Lewis is "right" from backing away from a triathlon, then is Jensen wrong for competing in one?

Having been a keen amateur triathlete for more than a decade, I've been kicked and scratched in the swim, fallen off my bike in the ride and gotten cramps and blisters in the run.

Nothing in that compares to the risk of professional, or even amateur, motorsport though.

Pandamasque

Re: nonsense

One can also slip in a shower, so racing drivers should avoid shower too.

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

Schumacher's neck injury could have left him paralysed as well. Risks of a triathlon may include over exhaustion and extra stress on an F1 driver.
If Button does it, good for him. But IMHO, there is no right or wrong with a persons choice.

Kubica was not in a triathlon. He was driving a rally car when he was injured. What has that got to do with Hamilton refusing a triathlon?

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

I'm a self confessed hamilton fanboy, but even i personally see this as a waste of a thread... my opinion i suppose :|

doopie2you

Re: nonsense

Pandamasque wrote:One can also slip in a shower, so racing drivers should avoid shower too.
That's true, but you must admit that there is a higher risk for injuries when you drive a rally car or mountain bike then when you take a shower?
What does IDK means?? (someone) i dont know (other dude) OMG no one knows

RH1300S
RH1300S

What fail to see is why fans of racing get in such a tizzy when drivers take risks. It's in their make-up to compete and to take risks, without that they wouldn't be RACING drivers, some of them MIGHT be able to drive a car fast, but by definition RACING is what they do and to do that they need to be competitive people and need to be able to take risks.

I have no view on the Hamiltion situation (it's a total non-story), but I see no wrong in drivers doing risky activities outside the cockpit. Admittedly sometimes they will let their team down (poor Robert), but in the main it makes them the men they are. Renault were right to let Robert drive in rallies, they understood the risk and also undestood the upside.

Racing drivers need to be competitive people.

Steven
Owner

Does this thread actually exist? :wtf:

If you could just try to imagine being an f1driver, and realising why you'd do it (I presume and hope not for the money) than it's easy to understand why you'd seek other challenges outside the sport as well.

Other than that, I find it pretty imaginative to link Hamilton's triathlon with Kubica crashing in a rally, but that may be just me.

Thanks for the input, but since this is probably going to end up in trash and bickering, we're closed!