Bob Bell joins Mercedes

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
marcush.

Re: Mercedes GP W02

why do they introduce Bob Bell as technical director now? what is Loic Bibois new position within the team more the head of design? ? The official statement has not mentioned him in a single word...

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Bob bell may have better experience of dealing with the issues Mercedes/Honda/Brawn have suffered in the past.
From what I can tell, people are buzzing online about this appointment.
With regard to Loic Bigois, I think he is Aerodynamicist only, whereas BoB Bell has Engineering in addition to that.

Overall though, I think its a quality addition to the team that is underlying Mercedes ambitions. Shame Mercedes is doing this so slowly though...
More could have been done.
David Purley

feynman

marcush. wrote:why do they introduce Bob Bell as technical director now? ...
He lost the Renault gig end October last year, he doesn't start at Merc till April, that's six months, which sounds bang-on for gardening leave.

I guess they wanted him since last year, but this is the earliest they can announce.

If it didn't work out to be six months, then it would definitely look like they had real big problems ... but it didn't ... so we can't say that ... well not yet.

marcush.

bob is also coming from the aero side... so it almost looks as again Loic is facing a cold headwind .
maybe it is Mercedes trying to give him more opportunity not to just manage but also actually design but who knows.
Actually I´m surprised that they start to change at the top this early .

JohnsonsEvilTwin

feynman wrote:
I guess they wanted him since last year, but this is the earliest they can announce.
What I was thinking. Bob Bell isnt Adrian Newey granted, but he is very good at what he does.
I think this deal has been in the offing for sometime, and maybe Renault flatly refused and put Bell on a mandatory 6 month leave of absence stopping him from joining Renaults closest rival(performance terms).

Either way, if Mercedes are to move forward they need men like Bell. Where that leaves Bigois, is anybodys guess.

EDIT: How easy will it be for Bell to give Mercedes info? We saw Mercedes W02 didnt look the finished article. Perhaps there has been some infromation transfer that made Mercedes switch its focus onto some concepts Bell may be privy to?
After all we do have "a new ehxaust" and some altered sidepods to be expected.....
David Purley

marcush.

that may well be the case...

segedunum

marcush. wrote:why do they introduce Bob Bell as technical director now? what is Loic Bibois new position within the team more the head of design? ? The official statement has not mentioned him in a single word...
Bigois was always head of aerodynamics as far as I know, and that's what he's been at every team he's ever been at. I'm not even sure who their technical director has been.

Bob Bell is going to turn that place upside down and he will be demanding personnel changes. Mind you, I don't know how much effect he can have on this car this year. April 1st is not the most auspicious of dates to be starting. :lol:

ali.unal

Bell might be responsible from 2012 car.

marcush.

important additions to your team have immediate and obvious impacts.People responsible for performance of the car will pinpoint weaknesses and get rid of them.
If that is changes inthe personell ...I´m not sure not at the start of it. first you concentrate on the facts.see James Key at Sauber.But good people always attarct key people of their former employer to the new one that may happen.

Dragonfly

Re: Bob Bell joins Mercedes

Isn't it a bit late for this year to expect results from his input after joining?
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

Giblet

Dragonfly wrote:Isn't it a bit late for this year to expect results from his input after joining?

Nope. He needs to understand the car to lead the development for the season and to get integrated for next years cars understanding.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

raymondu999

Dragonfly wrote:Isn't it a bit late for this year to expect results from his input after joining?
It wasn't too late for James Key last year
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

JohnsonsEvilTwin

He may even have had somthing to do with Mercedes upgrade due in a couple of weeks time. It goes some way to explain the rough draft W02, and the noise the team has been making about new exhaust concepts as well as modified sidepods.
Possibly a bit conspiracy theorist, but I dont see how anyone can stop the man from contibuting ideas over the phone or even via personal email.

I also dont think this is a sudden appointment, as he is on "gardening leave" until April.
David Purley

Richard

Lets see if number 2 driver crashes to allow number 1 to win a race ;)

"Michael, we'd like you to do a favour for young Nico" :lol: