Is McLaren really off the pace?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Tamburello
Tamburello

Re: Is McLaren really off the pace?

That's all well and good, and all true, but it wasn't the crux of the discussion here.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Oh well, fair enough...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Tamburello
Tamburello

Hangaku wrote:Personally, I can never see their crazy design winning a race this sea... OH SNAP.
But boy does it look UGGGLLLYYY from any angle in an 100 degree arc centered on the nosecone.

raymondu999

Tumbarello wrote:
Hangaku wrote:Personally, I can never see their crazy design winning a race this sea... OH SNAP.
But boy does it look UGGGLLLYYY from any angle in an 100 degree arc centered on the nosecone.
I agree, and I don't think anyone can deny it's ugly. Though for some sick reason I think the design will actually grow on some people and they might actually find it good looking :P
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

chepoi
chepoi

is this still the case? i vote for closing this thread.. this thread is more to arguing each other for nothing. This thread is relevant during the pre-season up to Shanghai but now... F1 circus is back to Europe.. so this is the time for admin to closed this thread.

thank you.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Tumbarello wrote:
I like it. It's different and an example of form following function which is so refreshing in this "aesthetics is all" world...

beelsebob
beelsebob

Just_a_fan wrote:
Tumbarello wrote:
I like it. It's different and an example of form following function which is so refreshing in this "aesthetics is all" world...
I'm not 100% sure you've got the idea of form following function – the implication of this phrase is that you first make something extremely functional, and that from that, a beautiful aesthetic shape falls out. This is a lot to do with where the phrase "if it looks fast it probably is" came from – the beauty of the car is there because the design is very efficient. In the McLaren's case it's more a case of the inevitable exception to the rule that form follows function. The car works well, but boy is it ugly!

Rino

beelsebob wrote:but boy is it ugly!
So? F1 is not a beauty pageant! :D

The Mclaren still has time to beautify the design but even if they do not change anything I believe the people will eventually start to like the existing!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

beelsebob wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
Tumbarello wrote: But boy does it look UGGGLLLYYY from any angle in an 100 degree arc centered on the nosecone.
I'm not 100% sure you've got the idea of form following function – the implication of this phrase is that you first make something extremely functional, and that from that, a beautiful aesthetic shape falls out. This is a lot to do with where the phrase "if it looks fast it probably is" came from – the beauty of the car is there because the design is very efficient. In the McLaren's case it's more a case of the inevitable exception to the rule that form follows function. The car works well, but boy is it ugly!
I don't think it's ugly. That's a subjective judgement with which you can not argue. You should say "I think it's ugly" not "it is ugly".

And "form follows function" does not mean that the item is attractive in the usual sense. It means that the shape is what it is in order to do what it does.

PlatinumZealot

chepoi wrote:is this still the case? i vote for closing this thread.. this thread is more to arguing each other for nothing. This thread is relevant during the pre-season up to Shanghai but now... F1 circus is back to Europe.. so this is the time for admin to closed this thread.

thank you.
What's the matter with you people and closing every single thread?
What good does that do?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Richard
Richard

The calls for locking is newbie enthusiasm!

I think it an amusing thread, a lesson in hubris for us all

Tamburello
Tamburello

raymondu999 wrote:
Tumbarello wrote:
I agree, and I don't think anyone can deny it's ugly. Though for some sick reason I think the design will actually grow on some people and they might actually find it good looking :P
It's done the opposite for me. I started off not hating it and actually thought it looked cool and interesting, not ugly either. But the more I see it out on track, from front on down those friggin long F1 straights, I feel covering my eyes. It's fugly.

CyleB

i dont really know about that^^^ Vettel gets back on the gas extremely quick after corners, and he has picked up on tyre management .. im not saying Button is a slow driver by any means but i do think at the moment Vettel is faster
Look mama I'm going fast- Ricky Bobby

volarchico
volarchico

CyleB...huh? What are you talking about? And about closing this thread...I vote NO! It's great to have a McLaren thread like this just for the sake of keeping the car and race threads clean while all the crazy ranting back and forth goes on here. ;)

CyleB

the post above mine was removed because it was talking about button being a faster driver then Vettel.... idk
Look mama I'm going fast- Ricky Bobby