Spygate, again (from No Angel: The Secret Life of Bernie E.)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Pup
Pup

Spygate, again (from No Angel: The Secret Life of Bernie E.)

In the new Bernie tell-all, there's a tidbit of info on spygate...

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/02/24/e ... t-mclaren/
It shows how some of F1′s recent scandals were driven by jealousies between Ecclestone, Dennis, Briatore and former FIA president Max Mosley.

During the ‘spygate’ affair in 2007 Fernando Alonso waited until the Hungarian Grand Prix to threaten Dennis by revealing incriminating emails.

But he had already revealed their contents to Briatore two weeks earlier, who in turn had shared the details with Ecclestone and Mosley.

Ecclestone later talked Mosley down from banning McLaren for two years (“bit heavy”, he said) and instead imposing a record $100 million fine. Mosley joked that it was “$5 million for the offence and $95 million for Ron being a twat”.
OK, so not only was Alonso attempting to blackmail the team, but he was double crossing them at the same time. And of course Briatore was more than happy to stick the knife in, which helps to explain Mosely's willingness to ignore Renault's own spygate. Not surprising, of course - though it does make some otherwise conspiracy-land suspicions seem more plausible.

The interesting bit to me is the timing. If Mosley new about the letters two weeks prior to Hungary, that means he also knew about them prior to McLaren's first hearing. And of course, McLaren got off at that hearing because there was no real evidence. So if Mosley had these emails and texts, or knew of their existence, then why didn't he present them or subpoena them for the hearing?

Buy from amazon: No Angel: The Secret Life of Bernie Ecclestone
Last edited by Steven on 28 Feb 2011, 01:06, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Added link to book

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Re: Spygate, again.

Mosley joked that it was “$5 million for the offence and $95 million for Ron being a twat”.
:lol:

I dont like Mosley but you can but laugh...
More could have been done.
David Purley

JohnsonsEvilTwin

@ Pup

I think it would be the legal mire of how Mosley obtained said evidence. There could have been huge repercussions for being personally involved, and he would not have been able to knife Dennis personally. Which is his style at the end of the day.
More could have been done.
David Purley

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

So Mosley was a corrupt scum bag. I knew it!!

And some say he was good for the sport..... :lol:

siskue2005

We all knew Max was/is a scumbag but and what about Alonso
i think he should have been banned or given some sort of punishment
If Alonso and Briatore can make this happen It now makes perfect sense that they would have planned the crashgate together aswell in 2008

eddie

So FIA bias towards mclaren confirmed ? And was it Ron who set up Mosley with the whole prostitute thing ? How can you not love F1 when stuff like this comes out...

bhall

God, not this again...

wesley123

agreed with above. Common it was 3 years ago that this happened! It is a waste of time to bring it up again, what do you want to achieve? Make Mosley step down as FIA president?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

eddie

wesley123 wrote:agreed with above. Common it was 3 years ago that this happened! It is a waste of time to bring it up again, what do you want to achieve? Make Mosley step down as FIA president?
Maybe because it might shed some light as to the real reasons why mosley and Dennis stepped down. Because it happened 3 years ago does not mean it is not relative today.

wesley123

It was well known that Dennis and Mosley hated each other.

Also it was well known that both of them where playing with the thought of quitting their job.

So I ask again, what do you want to achieve with this? Everything you read is just a ´guess´ as we cant read their minds. It could as well be that Dennis quit just because he wanted to play with his Playmobil. That the official press release of the team doesnt state that is well known. Such things are private and mostly just include personal choises, these choises should be kept secret to the rest of the world. These things are private and personal and are actually completely useless for us.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Ciro Pabón

I'd say it was Colonel Mustard, using the candlestick, in the library (Mustard-candlestick- library).

My second guess would be a boy, using a fan, in the attic (Boy-fan-attic).
Ciro

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

siskue2005 wrote:We all knew Max was/is a scumbag but and what about Alonso
i think he should have been banned or given some sort of punishment
If Alonso and Briatore can make this happen It now makes perfect sense that they would have planned the crashgate together aswell in 2008
I guess Alonso had the same immunity that was extended to Nelson Piquet Jr.

Whilst there are several guilty parties, I would think the buck stops with MrM as the then head of the FIA.
eddie wrote:So FIA bias towards mclaren confirmed ? And was it Ron who set up Mosley with the whole prostitute thing ? How can you not love F1 when stuff like this comes out...
In MrE's defense I guess he was looking at the McLaren situation from a commercial stance. Having any team banned creates a problem in terms of fans not viewing or attending races. Ban a team like McLaren and there will be a lot of people not watching F1. But it is true that MrM was not on MrD's Christmas card list (and vise-versa) but their hatred of each other is nothing compared to MrM's vendetta against MrLDM and everything Ferrari. I think this is in part due to the the strong possibility that it was MrLDM who exposed MrM as being into alternative recreational activities.

Pup
Pup

andrew wrote:I guess Alonso had the same immunity that was extended to Nelson Piquet Jr.
Yes, the FIA issued a letter offering immunity to any drivers who provided evidence. Of course, now we know that was all theater, since the FIA had the letters already.
wesley123 wrote:So I ask again, what do you want to achieve with this?
A better knowledge of what happened.

eddie

Pup wrote:
andrew wrote:I guess Alonso had the same immunity that was extended to Nelson Piquet Jr.
Yes, the FIA issued a letter offering immunity to any drivers who provided evidence. Of course, now we know that was all theater, since the FIA had the letters already.
wesley123 wrote:So I ask again, what do you want to achieve with this?
A better knowledge of what happened.
I agree with pup. It also gives up more insight as to why Dennis was so angry at hungry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWJCGInsVUs

Funny thing is that if alonso won that race he probably would have won the world championship. So he screwed himself in the end i guess.

forty-two

Well, if life has taught me only one thing, it's that SOMETIMES your opinion of someone can be wrong.

I was never a fan of Mosley, and I don't care very much for Bernie's way of doing things, BUT I saw Max on Question time a little while ago, and I was prepared for a load of "upper class twit" vitriole, but I have to hand it to the guy, what he had to say made absolute sense. Perhaps he's a better politician than I gave him credit for in the past, and what that says about me is perhaps a little worrying given his father's politics!

Onto the book in question, has anyone bought it? Is it any good?

I think I might make a trip to the bookshop tomorrow if so...
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?