Lotus, Renault and DAMS

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
N12ck

Lotus, Renault and DAMS

I have been thinking, DAMS GP2 team is renault f1's junior team, renault f1 is now lotus renault gp, so what does that make DAMS lotus renault gp's junior team, but if it does then what about Lotus Art GP, because DAMS ran the same livery as renault so will they do the same this year because i dont think it will make sense to as its a team lotus colour scheme but thats a different story.

because so far the name lotus seems to be taking over motorsport in 2 different ways:

Lotus Cars:
Lotus Renault GP
Lotus Art GP
Lotus KV Racing Technology (Indycar)
and maybe DAMS??
Lotus GT4

Team Lotus/ Lotus Racing:
Team Lotus
Team air asia (gp2 but not lotus but same company)
Lotus Racing Junior Team (Mofaz)

2 years ago there was practically no lotus teams in motorsport now suddenly loads of teams are becoming 'Lotus'

What do you think about DAMS and all the lotuses or should I say Loti :)
Budding F1 Engineer

ESPImperium

Re: Lotus, Renault and DAMS

Umberella 1:

Renault F1 had DAMS as its junior and development formula, running 2010 Renault colours.

Umberella 2:

Group Lotus has Lotus ART as its sponsored Development arm running Lotus historic Green/Yellow as its development vehicle.

Umberella 3:

Team Lotus running in Lotus historic colours in F1 has Team AirAsia as its development and reserve driver arm and runs in white/red in GP2 and is based from the same facility as Team Lotus.

Umberella 4:

GenII Capital owns part of one of the other teams as well and used that as a pert of the Gravity Sports Management structure for future racing drivers to take a part in. Gravity have a driver in a seat at Virgin this year to complicate things futher.

N12ck

I think to be honest someone needs to buy out both lotuses, rename all current lotus related teams to team lotus and stop with all this stupid sponsoring and just get on with racing.

Because IMO by doing all of this they are damaging the brand
Budding F1 Engineer

ESPImperium

I think its gonna happen, Group Lotus just needs to see its stock go just low enough for Fernandes and Bahar can call him boss.

I give it a year.

It is just too messy at the current moment.

N12ck

they are destroying the lotus name, I think under tony fernandes they would last, hopefully there should be one common owner and we can maybe see team lotus sporting a lotus cars logo on the side as sponsorship in the future :)
Budding F1 Engineer

N12ck

so what is everyones prediction of what will happen to lotus in motorsport, when i say lotus i mean Loti :D
Budding F1 Engineer

Tozza Mazza

Its odd as Ferrari's protege, Jules Bianchi, is effectively driving a GP2 car for F1 rivals Lotus. If anyone deserves the Team Lotus name its Fernandes. Legally its uncontestably his. Group Lotus were never in charge of Team Lotus, and David Hunt bought out the team in 94, they even raced twice under his ownership. Danny Bahar is a crazy man who will bring down Proton by over marketing a brand he bought not build, which Proton cannot afford. DAMS is like Gerard Boullier's team, similarly to Christian Horner's team Arden.
TM

McG

Are there any other motorsport names being dragged through the sh** like this?
F1 is dead.

Pandamasque

You forgot about Lotus JetAlliance fielding 2 Evoras in GTE Pro class at ILMC and Le Mans 24h. Image

Although there's no publicly available evidence to confirm the existence of such a car.

N12ck

your right, i think if fernandes would buy lotus cars the whole situation would be sorted, but would it not have made sense for lotus cars to sponsor team lotus, because by sponsoring a renault it makes them look bad in the fans view
Budding F1 Engineer

N12ck

I have now discovered the DAMS GP2 team is running a yellow and black livery again, so is renaults junior team, however i wonder how closely linked to the f1 team it is.....hmmm
Budding F1 Engineer

bot6

Well, ideally Fernandes should buy Lotus Cars from Proton. That would be the only way to sort it. But it's not going to happen, as Bahar bought Lotus Cars as a toy. And he's going to run the company into the ground by making big heavy ill handling cars.

nacho

Bahar hasn't bought Lotus Cars.

bot6

Sorry, Salleh. I mixed up the names. Too many thinks to think about and doing 3 things at once.

N12ck

but what do you make about fairuz fauzy aswell, being sponsored by proton, and renault at the same time, yet driving for super nova and not art gp or dams, this is all messed up !!
Budding F1 Engineer