The legend of all legends.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
xpensive
xpensive

The legend of all legends.

There's a legend of Ronnie Peterson doing the old Silverstone-track blindfolded. This should have happened during post-season testing in 1973. Legend has it that Ronnie did it on his own by simply demonstratively pulling down his balaclava in the pits, still clocking within 10 sec of his best.

This was obviously done in order to mock Emerson Fittipaldi, who was pissed off no end by this bizarre spectacle, while Colin Chapman and Peter Warr were laughing their asses off.

Result was Emerson walked off to McLaren.

Anyone with any kind of info on this?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

nacho
nacho

Re: The legend of all legends.

That's a heck of a story, even if it isn't true!

xpensive
xpensive

The sad aftermath says that Emerson's own mechanics were heckling him for not standing up to the challenge.

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Sounds like the stuff of legend but you never know. The layout of Silverstone in 1973 was simpler than it is now so it could be plausible.

The offical Ronnie Peterson website had a section where users could ask his brother Tommy questions, however it is no longer possible to post a question. Reading through the questions and answers, it seems that Ronnie and Emmo had a great relationship so if anything like this did happen, it would probably have been all in good humour (between the 2 drivers at least).

The following link has e-mail addresses of the contributors of the website. Nothing is coming up after a (very) quick look on Google but one of the contributors may be able to shed some light ion this.

http://www.ronniepeterson.se/subc/eng/mframe.html

Actually, looking at the pictures of Peterson, I guess he may well have utilised the power of the sideburns (much more powerful than the Force - if only Luke had a decent pair of siders he would have defeated Darth Vader in the first film!). :lol:

I'll keep digging and post anything I find.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

OT but you can still see a bit of the original Becketts kerbing behind the seating at the new Becketts area. Or at least you could a couple of years ago.

Always liked seeing it as it provides a tangible link back to previous generations of drivers and fans alike.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Ciro Pabón

Well, I did a quick test. I can see through my balaclava.
Ciro

xpensive
xpensive

Balaclavas way back when was made of a much thicker fabric, but obviously, the point was to mock Emerson, so who knows?

Ciro Pabón

Well, this is a "way back" balaclava. I bought it around 1980, I swear. It's a Momo. Double layer.

Who knows? Perhaps some Swedish have a sense of humour... That would be strange, but you can never discard the possibility. Back then, Ronnie had something to be happy about.

Barbro Peterson. Legendary love. The most romantic story in F1. Compared with her, all pitbabes are ugly. Oh, the elegance...
Ciro

Formula None
Formula None

Ciro Pabón wrote:Well, I did a quick test. I can see through my balaclava.
Best thing I've read on F1T. Quick, to-the-point, empirical.

xpensive
xpensive

I wouldn't be so sure yet, whithin John Player Special, most things where black, perhaps even balaclavas?

Formula None
Formula None

Lungs even.

Shrieker

Formula None wrote:Lungs even.
Haha good one ! :)
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

xpensive
xpensive

I found a thing on the web about Ronnie complaining of vision, why Peter Warr covered him up with duc-tape for the lap.

yzfr7
yzfr7

for the balaclava obsessed :D

pax

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Good old Aberdeen! Just next to John Lewis at the top of George Street!