HDTV is better & DRS rule should be changed!!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
connollyg
connollyg

Re: HDTV is better & DRS rule should be changed!!

My understanding is that Bernie didnt see the need for HD and therefore didnt invest in HD kit.
The next link in the chain is that the BBC have only gone HD in the last year so its taken a while for all the ducks to get lined up here in the UK. Of course you may have been getting SD that was upresed to HD possibly at only 720. The issue i have is yes the race was good in HD but the forum was on the red button and although its Freeview and therefore Digital, it doesnt look good on my 46 inch Samsung

raymondu999

she_spools_180 wrote:I don't understand... here in Australia, we have been getting the F1s in HDTV for at least 2 years now (I think this is the third year now), why has it taken so long to get it everywhere else?
It never was. It was just SD. But they made it "seem" HD by doubling or tripling (or whatever the factor is) the number of pixels
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Caito
Caito

If as soon as you get behind, you can pass him, there's no fun at all.

The chasing is fun too..
Come back 747, we miss you!!

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

HD was glorious....In Canada I noticed they didn't use HD feed in qualifying on TSN(typical), but for the race it was and the quality was night and day....

machin

doesnt look good on my 46 inch tv
The recommended viewing distance for a 46incher is over 4 metres to avoid being able to see the pixels... That's a pretty long way... maybe you're sat too close?
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

connollyg
connollyg

@machin

Yes i sit closer than 4 metres, but i can't see the pixels! HD is glorious its just some of the SD channels are grim, is bizarre. The F1 Forum on the red button was particularly bad, i guess they must be using a reduced bit rate for that?

TauToadmiester
TauToadmiester

she_spools_180 wrote:I don't understand... here in Australia, we have been getting the F1s in HDTV for at least 2 years now (I think this is the third year now), why has it taken so long to get it everywhere else?

I have heard that a couple of races were in HD, Japan another one, for local use only, but the world feed has NEVER been in HD, at least not until Bernie opened that wallet of his a tiny bit and now we have world feed HD!

The HD was better for this race but I do see what appears to be better HD in other venues - Golf, Nascar, NBA, NFL, MLB, Olympics, etc, even CNN seems better but not a huge amount for all of them just better.

As in photography, not all 1920x1080 pixels are created the same (or lens on camera for that matter) and also if feed is 50fps, and the US and others use 60fps then this could help explain the 'not best HD' (must resample and upsample to 60fps) I have seen here in the US, or maybe just not great HD cameras.

PS: Sony just released a professional full HD camera (NEX-FS100) with a large format CMOS sensor(same size as their DSLR's), allowing lower video noise, larger pixels/light gathering, wider dynamic range,(as compared to typ. pro camera) which should allow superior HDTV, Canon earlier announced a future product as well.

connollyg
connollyg

NTSC II (The US TV standard) isnt known as "Never The Same Colour Twice" for nothing! :-)

raymondu999

I don't get the NTSC joke :s
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

nipo
nipo

I don't think we have HD yet in Hong Kong... I guess I'm the only HK guy in this forum so I won't even bother to ask...

I think DRS worked fine. It's been stressed enough times that it is not there to ensure passing. Of course it takes time to prove whether the overtakes at Albert Park were because of DRS or not. We'll need to observe another couple of races. But I guess we haven't seen fast cars stuck behind massively slower ones for extended periods any more, at least in this race.

Let's see how it goes at races with longer straights - will FIA tune it down (like shortening the section of the straight where you can use DRS) proportionally to keep the effect the same (i.e. 15kph by end-of-straight)?

siskue2005

connollyg wrote:HDTV was great, but how annoying that i had to go back to SD for the forum (doesnt look good on my 46 inch tv)
We dont even get HD transmission in Asia, and you guys whine about not seeing the forum in HD :?
Atleast be happy with the fact that you can the race in HD format!

raymondu999

There's always downloads of the HD version of the race
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

rifrafs2kees
rifrafs2kees

DRS has to be scrapped. It's too artificial and makes F1 even more gimmicky. However, a great way to improve the current system for next year is to extend DRS capability to the front wings also. We'll see drag reduction plus the balance upset will be much less when the system is active and so drivers will initiate it quite sooner out of a turn.

TauToadmiester
TauToadmiester

connollyg wrote:NTSC II (The US TV standard) isnt known as "Never The Same Colour Twice" for nothing! :-)
No longer is it NTSC, but ATSC - Advanced Television Systems Committee, a DIGITAL standard, NTSC 'WAS' the analog system in N. America/etc, and since analog, hard to calibrate as the eye is sensitive to color/temporal shifts, and the 'content' could even change just sitting on the shelf in the form of a magnetic tape, due to many factors, as was the tv set with tubes and such, all analog, a continuous electrical signal, digital is NOT a continuous function/signal (as interpreted).

** Even though digital is always an 'analog' signal (although largely a discontinuous function/signal-nature hates digital), it is an 'encoded' analog signal with just a 'single' interpretation, thanks largely/completely to a 'clock' signal synchronizing the 'intelligence' signal in the murky/noisy analog mess! **

Myth: Digital is NOT 1's and 0's (on/off, up/down,etc) but an agreed upon interpretation of an analog signal representing a 1 or 0. Digital only exists in the theoretical, not reality, which itself is a murky/noisy mess.

she_spools_180
she_spools_180

raymondu999 wrote:
It never was. It was just SD. But they made it "seem" HD by doubling or tripling (or whatever the factor is) the number of pixels

OK.. so (in the past) how did it differ watching the F1s on a HDTV, on the SD channel and the HD channel?

because, in the past, I have flicked from the SD (digital) to HD (digital) channel that are simulcasting the F1s, and the HD channel always looked a heap better...