Hamilton vs Button

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
enkidu

Hamilton vs Button

Now that the season we well on its way I thought i'd bring back the discussions on these two drivers. Both have now had a bad race between them, lets talk about tyre management, race craft, qualify pace etc etc.

I've got a feeling things are not going to go all Hamiltons way in 2011 on race day. Button can't seem to match Hamilton over one lap... Both such different drivers but I would say closely matched when it comes down to scoring points.

volarchico

Re: Hamilton vs Button

Could have been a little more exciting Hamilton vs Button driving had Hamilton's pit stop not been so slow. He would have come out right in front of Button. But Hamilton had a horrible time on those new tires, so it would have been a fight!

CyleB

i think this will be Buttons season.... since the season will have heavy influence on tyre management. Hamilton like to brake late and locks up the tyres often where as button doesnt lock up as often
Look mama I'm going fast- Ricky Bobby

CHT
CHT

Hamilton will beat Button on raw speed and track excitement but Button is definitely a smarter and brainier driver than Lewis.

For 2011, I think it will be Jenson Button's year not because he is quicker but because of the imminent threat of Lewis (under SF management) leaving the team.

marcush.

Hamilton is clever and adaptable.He has not yet harnessed all the racing instincts yet Button will show him again and again there is more opportunity to score valuable points than going for it all the time..and this will make Hamilton
a even better racer.
I think it´s fascinating to see how Button and Hamilton have so different talents and approaches and still the end result is close.One would never think that Button could keep Hamilton in sight but obviously he can .Mclaren have really done themselves a big favour to hire him a real underrated driver he has undoubtedly still potential to win another WDC.
But also respect for Mclaren who handle the two guys incredibly well.They surely are one effective combo without having that preffered driver A and second driver feeling to it at any time.. =D> (what a contrast to RB,Ferrari,Williams etc..!)

Tamburello

It helps that they're both British, media darlings, in a British run team that is treated like a British NT.

Not many other teams have this luxury. Mercedes is working towards something similar and there too the drivers' attitude towards each other seems amicable enough...

marcush.

Tumbarello wrote:It helps that they're both British, media darlings, in a British run team that is treated like a British NT.

Not many other teams have this luxury. Mercedes is working towards something similar and there too the drivers' attitude towards each other seems amicable enough...
As soon as Rosberg will face a Schumacher who is matching him it´s over with amicable.This relationship is based on Schumacher featuring the old man...

jamsbong

Both drivers have the strengths and weaknesses. Ideally, if you want a perfect driver, you'll want the calculative/strategic wisdom and the ability to conserve tire of Button combined with the raw speed, racy talent and overtalking/defending capability of Hamilton.

To me, Hamilton has the talent to be fast and the hunger to win. He showed that he is matured and focused championship material in the first 2 years of his F1 career. Afterwards, I find his wisdom has fallen greatly and drivers like Button, Vettel and Webber can easily outshine in this department.

Button has never got the raw speed and in the past he didn't had the courage to go for it. But since BrawnGP gave him a winning car, Button has lifted himself to another level. He is confident, focused/clear about his strength and weakness, and he plans his way to victory.

Thats how I see these two drivers.

raymondu999

I agree. Hamilton in 2007 was, to me, a far superior driver than he was last year. I remember he had a 100% podium strike rate for the first half of 2007, and even Mickey the Shoe was impressed by the consistency. Then things kind of started going downhill. This is not to say that he's now rubbish. He's still good, but not as good as his 2007 1st half.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

marcush.

you get in got a superb car and not much pressure as the other guy in the team is the king anyways....That´s the ideal start for a mega talent.Nothing to lose only win.Now Hamilton feels responsible and tries to emulate his youthful stile in this situation when Mclaren is desperately trying to catch RedBull.
He´s coping very well he has NOT found his mnaster in terms of raw speed but realises there´s more to it if you want to maximise the points haul day after day.I´m not concerned he´s still young and he will be a big headache to REDbulls campaign this year.

Tamburello

marcush. wrote:
Tumbarello wrote:It helps that they're both British, media darlings, in a British run team that is treated like a British NT.

As soon as Rosberg will face a Schumacher who is matching him it´s over with amicable.This relationship is based on Schumacher featuring the old man...
What gives you this idea?

marcush.

It ´s more a gut feeling really ..I just see he´s not prepared to give track position to schumacher when it is useful for the team-as an example whereas Schumacher was stepping back more than once .
In those cases when they faught for position Rosberg played too hard and forceful
for my taste.

Shrieker

I think if Lewis had Button's tyres instead of the crappy hard set, he could've given Vettel whole a lot more trouble and finished 2nd at the very least.It was a issue of tyre management for Hamilton throughout the weekend, not the race itself. He should've looked after his tyres better in quali cause that's what ultimately ruined his race - if his crappy tyres didn't have some sort of manufacturing defect, that is.
Last edited by Shrieker on 12 Apr 2011, 11:41, edited 2 times in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Paul Oz

I think theyre both still getting better, learning from each other to be honest! I don't think JB has been paired with a driver with the raw speed as LH before, and with access to all his data, thats gotta help. LH for sure looks smoother this year... perhaps a necessity with the tyre situation. Their on baord comparison of their quali lap on the BBC this last weekend was awesome - very similar, even a twitch in exactly the same place.

I don't believe theres much tyre management difference. Apart from LH's habit of locking the fronts... but thats gonna happen being last of the late brakers eh! He was well within 1sec of Heidfeld for the whole first stint without destroying his tyres, and then came in before times had dropped off anyway. I guess because of the gap they saw to slot him into.

marcush.

Shrieker wrote:I think if Lewis had Button's tyres instead of the crappy hard set, he could've given Vettel whole a lot more trouble and finished 2nd at the very least.It was a issue of tyre management for Hamilton throughout the weekend, not the race itself. He should've looked after his tyres better in quali cause that's what ultimately ruined his race - if his crappy tyres didn't have some sort of manufacturing defect.
IF is a long word in F1..
you cannot afford to waste a set of tyres to gain one spot on the grid.It´s tough but it´s the same set of rules for everyone.
I fear we will see less efort and risk in Q3 in the future now.The potential gain of having one more set of fresh softs for the race is just too important.I´d think thats easily one second per lap quicker in that stint for the same number of laps,one more attack /overtaking opportunity and maybe two more laps you can stay out....adding flexibility to your race strategy.