Alonso's starts

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Gerhard Berger

Alonso's starts

Have not been very good so far this season. Even last season his starts were (generally speaking) not particularly good. Perhaps it is something he needs to work on, because it is undoing all the hard work he does in qualifying.

The same could possibly apply to Webber.

raymondu999

Re: Alonso's starts

Webber has had 1 good start and 1 bad start in 2011. Hardly what you call a bad record. He made a stunning start in Melbourne, then made a bad start, + no KERS in Sepang.

As for Falonso, I think it's T1, no? His starts seemed ok to me, just that he seems to get caught out in Turn 1. He had below average starts last year too mostly, but not devastatingly so. But considering that the same car is giving Massa those starts, then maybe it is a cause for concern.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

N12ck

remember last season he was too good, HE JUMPED THE LIGHTS!! :lol: where has the reaction times gone!
Budding F1 Engineer

raymondu999

I can't imagine Ferrari would let their number 1 have inferior starting sets (clutches, etc) than their Number 2, who is producing excellent starts, so I guess Alonso isn't as good a starter as Massa, for some bizarre reason?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

astracrazy

perhaps your comparing ferrari now to renault before?

didnt brundle say something bout renaults used to be good off the line due to ballast over the rear area? (i never knew about this at all and just trying to out 2 and 2 together to get 4)

now because of the rules they can't do that (any team)

just thinking that may be why alonso looked good before with this starts

Florio

I don't think you can really work on the starts. The immediate start (off the line) you can, but his troubles are being in the wrong position wrong time. He got forced out be Jenson, then squeezed due to Mark's poor start.

bot6

Alonso has had bad starts since the end of traction control. They have never been his forte. He does other things very well - like alienating his teammates, he seems quite good at that - but starts have never been his strong suit.

marcush.

one of my race drivers once said racing is like speed chess you just have to think ahead and visualize what´s going to happen next.
Some guys are incredibly good with traffic others are prone to incidents.Alonso seems to lack in the first seconds but obviously he is very gifted when it comes to producing results.
Don´t worry he will look into this again and again and draw his conclusions from it.We are far away from him giving up on that wdc in 2011.
If his average starts start to obviously deny him of winning the crown he will adjust.

Gerhard Berger

Again Alonso lost a position at the start today, and it compromised him. Think you have to go back to Belgium or Hungary last year to the last time he gained a place at the start.