Stupidest retirements for technical reasons

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FW17

Re: Stupidest retirements for technical reasons

Rob W wrote:Monza 2000 > Button during his early Williams days had a monumentally stupid retirement for crashing behind the safety car. He floored it just at the car in front was braking > went off and clipped the wall.

Everyone blamed Michael Schumacher for that one not Button

JayeOFarrell

Lurk wrote:
JayeOFarrell wrote:One of my favorites is Virgin designing a car with a fuel tank that was to small to get to the end of a grand prix, as a Virgin engineer you must have kicked yourself a few times over that one =D>
This one is a little different. FIA crash tests method changed when the tube was already done.
They have to downsize the tank to ensure the car pass the test, hoping that it will be still large enough, but it wasn't. :wink:
Ahh, thanks for the clarification. I thought it was just a mistake :)
“Be clearly aware of the stars and infinity on high. Then life seems almost enchanted after all.”
― Vincent van Gogh

Muulka

I was under the impression that Virgin thought that they would be allowed to use denser fuel and so calculated their fuel tank size. I remember a team official saying this when they updated the car.