Was there more overtaking in 2008?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

would you like the rules to go back to the 2008 rules?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 14

N12ck

Was there more overtaking in 2008?

I have been watching videos of the 2008 season and 2007 season and it seems like there was more overtaking and proper battles, whats your opinion and do you think it should go back to them rules?
Budding F1 Engineer

HampusA

Re: Was there more overtaking in 2008?

Wasn´t China 2011 the race with the most overtakes in the history of F1?
The truth will come out...

wesley123

I have boted yes, but not particularly because of overtaking. More out of rules standpoint, there was much more possible with alot more fins everywhere and i really enjoyed that. Plus, the last years of those rules we had really great races, way better then now.

@HampusA; i believe so, but how where these overtakes? By a car going 15 km/h faster over the straight, if you werent able to pass anyone them or anyhwere soon you do not belong in F1, this was just ridiculous imo, as a helping hand the DRS okay, but now even a baby could do it
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

N12ck

im not talking about a straight overtake, im talking about good old battles between 2 drivers lasting many laps not just 1 second and past they go,,,, i felt there was more entertainment in 2008 and 2007
Budding F1 Engineer

thestig84

I have not voted because you need to clarify what your really asking.

Thread title question, more overtaking in 08 : NO
Your second question, more battles, go back to 08 rules : NO
Your third question, longer battles, go back to 08 rules : NO

I know what your thinking after I watched 2008 review a while ago but without picking best races, your favourite races or your rose tinted memories then there were lots of follow leader races and at best pass in pits due to refuelling.

I did however like all the crazy fins!!! :D

axle

Fairly pointless thread.
We're on race 4 of ~20.
- Axle

wesley123

axle wrote:Fairly pointless thread.
We're on race 4 of ~20.
Yes in season 3 of these rules, imo it is pretty useful
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

N12ck

we are in season 3, and i just dont think f1 is as exciting as it was, when there was overtaking it seemed more real and were proper battles not just a quick pass
Budding F1 Engineer

ESPImperium

Simple for me, no for full introduction of the 2008 spec rules again. The cars were pretty much reaching their apex point in development. Most of the designs only could have had 0.5 to 0.8 of a second developed onto them with Blown Diffusers, but a F-Duct wouldnt have been as effective and a DRS would have been a nightmare to engineer.

HOWEVER...

There are elements id have liked to have seen, or see more like, brought back in a form in the front wing, but not to the same effect, id say something like the 2008 wing with the 2011 wings for the front only.

As for other items, pretty much the same as what we have now as the cars look cleaner, and sleeker. Yes the 2008 cars were fast, and intresting with all those little flip ups and appendages, but with what we have now, it makes the cars look more modren.

axle

Good grief I largely agree with ESP... :)

You need radical rules changes to spice up the engineering. And the 2008 cars look daft now with their flips, wings and conditioners. I think we're seening more innovation again and that's a 1/3 of the sport for me.
- Axle

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

axle wrote:Good grief I largely agree with ESP... :)
So the English and the Scottish can agree!! Prasie be, it's a miricle! [-o<

During one of the races last year (I can't remember which) the Radio 5 commentators discussed the amount of passing. Basically it has been pretty much the same for the past few years. The only difference is in our minds as we only remember the balls-out memorable moves and tend to look back with rose tinted glasses.

ESPImperium

F1 needs to see innovation, and innovation leads to a mixing of the bag again.

the 2005-2008 rules set saw this with Renault step to the front. 2009-2012 saw Brawn, Red Bull, Toyota and Williams show their faces with the last 2 falling away or pulling out. As for McLaren and Ferrari will always be there or there abouts.

F1 will see innovation again in 2013, as next year there will be very little in form of change, just the nosecone peak height being dropped by 200mm to 250mm for saftey reasons. And the mandated weight distrubution being taken off and the weight being increased by 10kg to 650Kg.

This will lead to the current generation of cars largly (with exemption of Hispania and Virgin most probably) will bunch up as we saw in 2008 to within about a 1.5 to 2.2 seconds of each other.

To think, how much discussion would have been lost if we had kept the same rules for 2008 till now??? Controversy with DDDs, F-Ducts, Flexi Wings, KERS, DRS and not to mention Tires, would we have lost without a change in rules.

Innovation makes people think, making people think creates uncertainty, and uncertainty creates a better spectacle for me.

Hangaku

I have always wondered:

I wonder what an F1 car would look like if the rules and regulations were given to a team of designers, with no prior knowledge of what an F1 car currently looks like.

.. and ..

If the rules and regulations from 20 years ago were brought in today (safety aside), what would a modern F1 car look and perform like? Anything like an F1 car from 20 years ago?
Yer.

gridwalker

+1 ESP ... I was going to type something very similar, but see no need to echo your words!
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

Ciro Pabón

wesley123 wrote:... but now even a baby could do it
... and I was wondering why "Wonder Boy" Vettel won last year. Finally, an explanation.
Ciro