In-season testing return?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
andartop
andartop

In-season testing return?

According to the autosport article Todt will bring the issue of allowing limited testing to the teams for discussion:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91253

..And if they don't agree he will try to enforce it!!!

A sane decision in my opinion: I don't think there are many sports where competitors are banned from practising to improve their performance.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

beelsebob
beelsebob

Re: In-season testing return?

Thank god! Maybe now HRT/Virgin/Lotus will actually be able to catch up a bit!

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Sence at last!!!

Personally id rather have 2 three-day test sessions for teams to test new drivers only.

Id also like to see teams being forced into putting a driver into a car in FP1 for say 16 races each year, and each race driver has to sit out 8 FP1 sessions. This as well would bring thrugh new tallent. As long as that stupid rule that bars drivers from taking part in GP2/GP3 race weekends the same weekend as F1. This would mean Bianchi in a Ferarri, Grosjean or Fauzy in a Renault and either of the Team AirAsia drivers in the Team Lotus car for example.

Ideally id allow teams to have 21 days testing each year, with 15 days pre season and of those 15 days, Race Drivers should only take part in a maximum of say 7 days, asuming that the last 4 day test is allowed to be a 2 car per team test.

One other thing id like to see, that would prevent the Hispania situation from the past 2 years, is that each team must take part in at least 4 days testing before being allowed to take part in the first GP of the year. This means they should have 2 chassis fully shaken down before that event.

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

I would prefer to go back to the halcyon days of testing but that won't happen. Limited testing is a lot better than the ridiculous ban though.

Aside from giving the smaller teams a chance to catch up it is a good chance to give the teams reserve drivers some running, so it is good for safety too.

CHT
CHT

This will definitely help Ferrari to make a come back in 2013.

Caito
Caito

In TC2000 in Argentina, equivalent to the BTCC, teams which bring new cars(new models never raced before) have 6 more practices. I think they're(just saying) 4 a year.

And new models can test 10 times. That would be a good one but rather than new models for new teams. If they're given a couple of days free practice maybe they can catch up a bit.
Come back 747, we miss you!!

donskar
donskar

Todt is showing a lot of common sense -- to go from unlimited to (virtually)totally banned is just dumb. And this can help the small teams more than the big ones.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Who is going to pay for the small teams to go testing? Testing is expensive and I doubt that the guys at the back of the grid will able to afford to do much if any serious work - assuming they can get new bits to the tests in the first place.

The change will help the front runners more than the tail end guys so we'll see the performance differential across the grid increase. If the 107% rule remains we may see teams fail to qualify...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

bentley321
bentley321

the only reason why todt wants it back is because and soon as testing was banned Ferrari have gone downhill. He only wants it because he wants Ferrari to be on top again which makes the FIA corrupt. As Ferrari contribute the most money to F1 the FIA will do anything fro Ferrari. Here's an example:
As soon as Ferrari does team orders in Germany last year they legalize it

Get a grip FIA and stop bumming ferrari!

beelsebob
beelsebob

Just_a_fan wrote:Who is going to pay for the small teams to go testing? Testing is expensive and I doubt that the guys at the back of the grid will able to afford to do much if any serious work - assuming they can get new bits to the tests in the first place.

The change will help the front runners more than the tail end guys so we'll see the performance differential across the grid increase. If the 107% rule remains we may see teams fail to qualify...
This assumes that you let teams test unlimitedly, allowing the top teams to just run off testing all kinds of crazy things continuously. If you limit testing to a few short sessions a year, you let the new teams get valuable running time with their car, and you let new drivers actually find out how an F1 car works.

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

bentley321 wrote:the only reason why todt wants it back is because and soon as testing was banned Ferrari have gone downhill.
So Jean Todt is helping Ferrari? Next you'll be telling us that FIA stands for Ferrari Internatiopnal Assistance. #-o :lol:

The testing ban is, if nothing else, unsafe, as I mentioned above.
bentley321 wrote:He only wants it because he wants Ferrari to be on top again which makes the FIA corrupt. As Ferrari contribute the most money to F1 the FIA will do anything fro Ferrari. Here's an example:
As soon as Ferrari does team orders in Germany last year they legalize it
All teams have used team orders when they shouldn't have. The problem that such a fuss was kicked up when Ferrari used team orders that something had to be done. Under the previous FIA administration (which was corrupt unlike the current one) teams had been let off with team orders which prevented any real action being taken against Ferrari, i.e. a precedent had been set. As the use of team orders cannot be policed, the only sensible thing was to legalise them. Absolutely nothing to do with any one team being favoured.
bentley321 wrote:Get a grip FIA and stop bumming ferrari!
Intelligent comment this. :roll:

And before you accuse me of being a Ferrari fan, I am not.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

beelsebob wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:Who is going to pay for the small teams to go testing? Testing is expensive and I doubt that the guys at the back of the grid will able to afford to do much if any serious work - assuming they can get new bits to the tests in the first place.

This assumes that you let teams test unlimitedly, allowing the top teams to just run off testing all kinds of crazy things continuously. If you limit testing to a few short sessions a year, you let the new teams get valuable running time with their car, and you let new drivers actually find out how an F1 car works.
Even a few days spread throughout the year is expensive to do. Better would be to say that additional days will be done at race weekends - perhaps Monday and Tuesday after three or four particular races. That way the teams are already on location and that will reduce some of their costs.

Setting up a number of different test sessions that require the teams to send all of the people and kit out will add a big cost that the small teams could do without.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

andrew wrote:
And before you accuse me of being a Ferrari fan, I am not.
Good job really; judging by your defence of them at every turn I'd hate to think what your posts would be like if you were a fan... :wink: :lol:

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Yup, J_A_F has it right.

Have a day or 2 after the GP weekend would cost peanuts compared to dedicated test sessions. Everything is already there, no need to upsticks.

If the FIA have sense this is what will prevail.
More could have been done.
David Purley

axle
axle

I think there should be 4x 1day young driver tests a year using a 9th engine. Each one tacked on after a GP weekend just like MotoGP do.
- Axle