Manufacturing process of carbon brakes

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
MadMatt

Manufacturing process of carbon brakes

Hi guys !

I am looking for a description of how the carbon brakes are made. I know the it takes weeks to make a complete brake disc for example, but I cannot find a proper website to see how its made exactly. Racing cars or plane is equal, I just need a good (short) review of the manufacturing process ! Thank you A LOT in advance !

:)

hardingfv32

Re: Manufacturing process of carbon brakes

More like 6 months.

http://www.f1technical.net/articles/2

"Despite the fairly simple system (mostly because the regulations do not allow many other variations), the carbon fibre elements make the brakes a highly expensive part of a Formula One car. Both the pads and the discs are manufactures from the best carbon fibre available (long chain carbon, as in carbon fibre). In fact it can take up to 5 months to produce a single brake disk. The first stage in making a disc is to heat white polyacrylo nitrile (PAN) fibres until they turn black. This makes them pre-oxidised, and are arranged in layers similar to felt. They are then cut into shape and carbonised to obtain very pure carbon fibres. Next, they undergo two densification heat cycles at around 1000°C. These stages last hundreds of hours, during which a hydrocarbon-rich gas in injected into the oven or furnace. This helps the layers of felt-like material to fuse together and form a solid material. The finished disc is then machined to size ready to install onto the car."

I believe Racecar Engineering has had a couple of good articles.

Brian