SMG Gearbox

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Scania
Scania

SMG Gearbox

is it possible to modify a SMG gear box to a manul sequence gear box?

autogyro
autogyro

Re: SMG Gearbox

Not sure what you mean.
If you wanted an H pattern gear lever for an SMG gearbox, it would be possible with the right geometry but I fail to see why.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

I fail to see why you would like to pursue this route, as simply exchanging it for a manual one would be easier, or might as well just buy a 6mt car.

You'd be better off searching/asking this at m3forum.net. :wink:

Assuming it's an e46; you better treat it with respect and love!! :twisted:
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

majicmeow
majicmeow

The E46 SMG is a pretty heavy clunky piece. As far as I know, the actual gear box casing is significantly different than the 6speed M3 gearbox and wouldn't be modifiable.

Swapping a 6spd into an E46 would also be a bit of work, but doable. You'd need (minimum) the cross-brace for the 6spd, the linkages for the shifter, the shifter console mount + bushings, clutch pedal + bracket, slave cylinder + pipes + hoses, clutch, flywheel, prop-shaft.

I am not sure if the E46 by default, contains the necessary wiring harness to accomodate the 6spd. I would highly doubt it and therefore suspect you'd have to modify the wiring harness to include the clutch switch and reverse gear sensor wiring, as well as deleting/removing the SMG control module, pump and harness. The DME (BMW code for ECM) is also specific to the SMG model so that would need to be replaced as well.

Like I said, this is the minimum amount of work needed to be done. It would be cheaper and far easier to find a very nice condition 6spd E46 and move on from there.