Wheel vents on WEC cars

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
MadMatt

Wheel vents on WEC cars

I must say that I don't really follow sportscars those days, but I was very surprised to see the wheel vents on the Audis at Spa this weekend. Normally these vents are highly limited by the regulations, but as you can see, it seems to be different now ! :shock:

Could anybody tell me more about the regulation situation for these vents ?

:)

wesley123

Re: Wheel vents on WEC cars

If I'm correct they just require an fully open area per wheel, how you use that open area is up to you. You could break it up in 10 different holes, make a nice shape of it etc. etc.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

PNSD

The technical definition is actually big honking hole :p

They are infact there due to regulations, another technical requirement to help reduce the chance of those famous sports car flips we've seen.

MadMatt

Ok it is the first time I see a team going the hole route rather than vents ! :)

Pierce89

Its the first year the rules have required the completely open area.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Nando

How is that aerodynamically compared to let´s say slots or vents whatever you want to call them?

Is air getting sucked out of there or is being pushed? Or both?
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

flynfrog

Nando wrote:How is that aerodynamically compared to let´s say slots or vents whatever you want to call them?

Is air getting sucked out of there or is being pushed? Or both?
air is coming out of there. THere is a high pressure area that builds up in wheel wells. not sure how the compare with slots ect but I would guess it has more to do with the required size being better as a large hole.

Nando

ok thanks,

ah yea forgot about that, with vents they would have to be even larger.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

MadMatt

There was an article about this on July 2012 edition of RE (for those interested).

ds.raikkonen

Along with avoiding the flips, it also cools the wheels inside the arches. I remember last years' Le Mans where the proximity of the LED power source was causing the front wheels to heat up even more, so cooling was an even bigger issue than it normally is. But what about rear vents behind the wheel arches, do they work on a similar principle?
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

MadMatt

Do you have any values for what you are saying ? I mean, like how many Watts these LEDs produce for example ? It seems a bit too optimistic to say that the heat from the power sources of the LEDs can lead to warm the tires.

I think the rear vents are also to reduce life and maybe optimize the drag around the rear of the car, but for sure some people "in" aero will say something about this.

But that discussion should maybe be moved in the "aero" section of the forum, isn't it ? :)

ds.raikkonen

MadMatt wrote:Do you have any values for what you are saying ? I mean, like how many Watts these LEDs produce for example ? It seems a bit too optimistic to say that the heat from the power sources of the LEDs can lead to warm the tires.

I think the rear vents are also to reduce life and maybe optimize the drag around the rear of the car, but for sure some people "in" aero will say something about this.

But that discussion should maybe be moved in the "aero" section of the forum, isn't it ? :)
Does it really matter? The issue was that the power source was in 'proximity' of the front tyres (I do not know how many millimeters)and that led to undesirable over heating. I did not say that thing, the Speed TV commentators did last year during the race. Oh I don't know how much power they utilize, but here s an article explaining the relevance of 'why' they used LEDs and its benefits:
http://www.audi.co.uk/audi-innovation/a ... ology.html
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

MadMatt

Sorry but I don't take for granted what journalists say ! The article is interesting, shame they're not going into details but I guess that's better than nothing. Shame I don't have time to go into the wheel vents domain, because I am sure there is a lot to say about that ! :)

ds.raikkonen

Yeah, I would love to read about the aero aspects of the thing but sadly I am not working in that environment, so don't have that much time to read and discuss :(

VARIANT | one

MadMatt wrote:Do you have any values for what you are saying ? I mean, like how many Watts these LEDs produce for example ? It seems a bit too optimistic to say that the heat from the power sources of the LEDs can lead to warm the tires.

Highly doubtful. The LEDs require cooling ducts, but I'm 99.999% sure the teams have no love for the BHHs and would go back to vents in a New York second if they could. No one really wants high pressure lift under in the wheel arches negating downforce, and will do their best to eliminate it but not to this extent as it's probably pretty draggy.