McLaren P1

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
johnsonwax
johnsonwax

Re: McLaren P1

Pierce89 wrote:
johnsonwax wrote: The LaFerrari is supposed to have more down force than the Mclaren. I read the latest print edition of Top Gear and it said LaFerrari moved the supercar goalposts.
Everything I've read says the opposite, that the P1 thanks to the track mode and the more aggressive rear wing generates much more downforce.

Felipe 92

Pierce89 wrote: The LaFerrari is supposed to have more down force than the Mclaren. I read the latest print edition of Top Gear and it said LaFerrari moved the supercar goalposts. I think Ferrari and Mclaren will be virtually identical in acceleration tests, while the Ferrari will be quicker on the racetrack. Both will murder the Porsche on a high speed racetrack like Spa or Suzuka.
La Ferrari has about 368kg of downforce while P1 has 600kg.

krisfx
krisfx

johnsonwax wrote:
krisfx wrote:The most impressive part of this video is the Nissan GTR that can still keep up with it from launch....
We don't know if it's stock or not (I would assume not, given the setting). There's a GTR tuning shop near my house, and they can push the HP up north of 700. But it's the AWD that gets it (and the Veyron) off the line. It's why the 918 is faster 0-60. With enough HP you're going to become traction limited. Until you can start generating downforce you have no choice but to increase the contact patch you transfer power through.

So, a RWD keeping up with a high-horsepower AWD off the line is actually rather amazing.

It's still about £700,000 cheaper, that's why I commend the GTR.

Juzh

krisfx wrote:
johnsonwax wrote:
krisfx wrote:The most impressive part of this video is the Nissan GTR that can still keep up with it from launch....
We don't know if it's stock or not (I would assume not, given the setting). There's a GTR tuning shop near my house, and they can push the HP up north of 700. But it's the AWD that gets it (and the Veyron) off the line. It's why the 918 is faster 0-60. With enough HP you're going to become traction limited. Until you can start generating downforce you have no choice but to increase the contact patch you transfer power through.

So, a RWD keeping up with a high-horsepower AWD off the line is actually rather amazing.

It's still about £700,000 cheaper, that's why I commend the GTR.
Again with price comparisons.. you can make golf mark 2 run 9s 1/4 for half the price of gtr. does that make it better than it though? No, it doesnt. in the same way as alpha 12s and ugr lambos are in no way better than p1/laferrari/918/agera/veyron/1:one.

FoxHound

I think the point is you can leather a GTR, and not feel intimidated by the cost of car you are driving.
I've seen the youtube videos of Veyron's getting barrier facelifts, and it will make even a banker think twice about tracking such a machine.

The P1 is magnificent yes. But here in the real world, from what I've seen at trackdays and a couple of blasts in the new forest, the Nissan GTR is untouchable.
JET set

Pierce89

Felipe 92 wrote:
Pierce89 wrote: The LaFerrari is supposed to have more down force than the Mclaren. I read the latest print edition of Top Gear and it said LaFerrari moved the supercar goalposts. I think Ferrari and Mclaren will be virtually identical in acceleration tests, while the Ferrari will be quicker on the racetrack. Both will murder the Porsche on a high speed racetrack like Spa or Suzuka.
La Ferrari has about 368kg of downforce while P1 has 600kg.
Source? And a little context. For all I know, that could mean the Ferrari has 368kg at 100kph, while the Mac a makes its figure at 200kph. Besides, the Ferrari is definitely lighter. And SWEETER!

Besides, if you guys are talking performance/price, a Corvette murders even a GTR.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Felipe 92

Pierce89 wrote:Source? And a little context. For all I know, that could mean the Ferrari has 368kg at 100kph, while the Mac a makes its figure at 200kph. Besides, the Ferrari is definitely lighter. And SWEETER!

Besides, if you guys are talking performance/price, a Corvette murders even a GTR.
McLaren
http://www.evo.co.uk/features/features/ ... lysis.html
We targeted 600kg of downforce, and we wanted it around the speed that we've got it [from 161mph].

Ferrari
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Sea ... AR-review/
At the rear, there’s a large spoiler, hidden at rest, but deployed when downforce is needed. That spoiler is permanently linked to flaps in the diffuser, and both are operated by the same actuator. Together, they give 50kg of downforce in low drag mode at 124mph, but 230kg in max drag mode. Flaps at the front help maintain the aero balance, moving their position in response to changes with the rear aero kit.

I'm sorry for blowing your dreams, but the truth is that McLaren has double the downforce of last Ferrari. Also don't be a moron and say that at 161 mph they will be matched, they'll never be.
Corvettes quality is crap compared to GTRs.

FoxHound

A corvette against a GTR is like comparing a P1 to a Veyron. That Vette will see its backside around a track contra a GTR.
JET set

Pierce89

Felipe 92 wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:Source? And a little context. For all I know, that could mean the Ferrari has 368kg at 100kph, while the Mac a makes its figure at 200kph. Besides, the Ferrari is definitely lighter. And SWEETER!

McLaren
We targeted 600kg of downforce, and we wanted it around the speed that we've got it [from 161mph].

Ferrari
At the rear, there’s a large spoiler, hidden at rest, but deployed when downforce is needed. That spoiler is permanently linked to flaps in the diffuser, and both are operated by the same actuator. Together, they give 50kg of downforce in low drag mode at 124mph, but 230kg in max drag mode. Flaps at the front help maintain the aero balance, moving their position in response to changes with the rear aero kit.

I'm sorry for blowing your dreams, but the truth is that McLaren has double the downforce of last Ferrari. Also don't be a moron and say that at 161 mph they will be matched, they'll never be.
Blowing my dreams? Why do Mclarenfans in general seem to have such a nasty disposition? Neither of these cars could blow my dreams. I much prefer to do my fast driving on track, and while none of the cars I've driven are 9xx hp hybrids, they will murder these two around Barber Motorsports Park.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Sevach
Sevach

FoxHound wrote:A corvette against a GTR is like comparing a P1 to a Veyron. That Vette will see its backside around a track contra a GTR.
The new Z06 is coming, looks to be a beast.

SectorOne

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

SectorOne

Felipe 92 wrote:

McLaren

Ferrari

Koenigsegg One:1 produces over 600kg at 250km/h or 155mph according to this video,

1:30 into the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbh_cB011UQ#t=96

Posted entirely for informational purposes regarding the downforce figures of these supercars.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

SectorOne

Behold, the P1 GTR. As if the P1 wasn´t extreme enough, this is the purpose-built track version.
Pebble beach 15th Aug is the plan for the first real concept car.

McMrocks
McMrocks

Sadly it is the Lamborghinian way of design. Edges, Edges, Edges. For the reason of design not for aerodynamics. :roll:

SectorOne

McMrocks wrote:Sadly it is the Lamborghinian way of design. Edges, Edges, Edges. For the reason of design not for aerodynamics. :roll:
I don´t think you can make that statement because A, it´s not Lamborghini and B, it´s Mclaren´s track car which means there will be even more focus on aerodynamics.