Mercedes Magic Body Control

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Belatti
Belatti

Mercedes Magic Body Control

Well, first of all, nice analogy

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLwML2PagbY[/youtube]

=D>

The thing is the car anticipates road surface and reacts (below 130kph) accordingly. The feature may give mercedes the edge over the competition for these kind of cars. Persoanlly I would like to see the feature in a more "sporty" vechicle.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Mercedes Magic Body Control

I remember reading trials of previous active suspension cars "back in the day". One of the things that came out was that the lack of roll could be a bad thing when driving quickly. The roll is a very good way for the brain to keep a feel on how fast you're travelling - apparently when the roll is removed it becomes difficult to "feel" the car below you.

Active ride is great at lower speeds though where the tyre is not being pushed too hard. Then it gives a nice smooth ride.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Kiril Varbanov

I love the ad, it's real fun. Those type of commercials have been missing from the public domain recently.

Old read on the topic - http://www.caranddriver.com/news/merced ... tem-driven

FW17

Just_a_fan wrote:I remember reading trials of previous active suspension cars "back in the day". One of the things that came out was that the lack of roll could be a bad thing when driving quickly. The roll is a very good way for the brain to keep a feel on how fast you're travelling - apparently when the roll is removed it becomes difficult to "feel" the car below you.

Active ride is great at lower speeds though where the tyre is not being pushed too hard. Then it gives a nice smooth ride.

I think the G-forces is enough to keep the driver aware of how fast he is going

DaveW
DaveW

Just_a_fan wrote:I remember reading trials of previous active suspension cars "back in the day". One of the things that came out was that the lack of roll could be a bad thing when driving quickly. The roll is a very good way for the brain to keep a feel on how fast you're travelling - apparently when the roll is removed it becomes difficult to "feel" the car below you.
Reference?

I remember concerns being expressed before the event. I turned out, however, that the lack of transient response very much improved control. If roll was important, handling a car in the wet would be impossible....

I recall Elio de Angelis, driving the prototye Esprit flat out & sideways towards the Bridge at Snetterton commenting "look how easy it is to control". Yes, Elio....

SectorOne

Similar thing i saw today. It´s the low tech version but it works fairly similar.

Still think a regular light would be as effective but cool nonetheless.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Holm86

This is humor :-D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PQS8SFWNQw[/youtube]

MOWOG

Ah Hah Hah Hah! :lol: Good on ya, Jaguar! =D>
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.