Chen Engine, a more efficient and cleaner engine

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Re: Chen Engine, a more efficient and cleaner engine

Greg Locock wrote:Yup, the guy who is going to reinvent the engine can't figure out an iPhone

Here it is https://www.mediafire.com/?apa758d68ihjuax
I suspect him to be n smikle's brother.

Chengine
Chengine

Thank you very, very much.

For those of you who need this graphics desperately can now go back to my third post and follow it. It should be clear now I hope. The current engine corresponds to the lowest curve and Chen Engine is the middle curve. You can see that at extremely low compression ratio, the difference is very large.

In fact, this heywood graph is not the real world, He assumes the waste gas concentration does not vary with compression ratio. In reality, the real Otto engine has steeper drop near the left hand side.

In some way, what we are doing here is to use modern technology to perfect Otto engine. He did not have electronic of fast actuation for the valve of the air injection and no air compressor. We just finish his job to make the best internal combustion engine.

I suggest that for those of you really want to pursue this, buy Heywood's book from Amazon. I did it only two years ago. This way i just say go to page XXX and look up fig y.z and we are all virtually "on the same Page" and I do not have to take picture and get on this post. As you all know I am terrible at it.

Chengine

Chengine
Chengine

Hello Jef Patat,

Thanks for your graph. Could you ask your friend to supply another graph again Heywood Fig. 9-10? You know there are request for PV diagram of Chen engine. With this graphics in display I can show him the peak is higher, thus total area under the expansion is higher, thus waste gas deprived combustion has higher efficiency.

Thank you in advance.

Chengine

Richard
Richard

Hi Chengine - Why not publish a PDF of your presentation, schematics and graphs?

It is not possible to load file directly on this site, you need to use a link to the images or documents on a site such as mediafire.com or megaupload.com or dropbox.com or skydrive.com etc ....

thermodynamics
thermodynamics

What is the energy required to compress the air that you will inject?
What is the volume of air and pressure required?
Is the extra energy for operating this stage less than the gains you expect to have?

Chengine
Chengine

Hello Thermodynamics,

Like your name. I have structured presentation to make. What you are asking for will come in later. Suffices it to say that for the example I selected, the energy expanded is about 10% of the gain I received using air injection.

Please be patient. I do not want to jump around too much. I already had to do some of that for people for who are angry with me. Thus I need to provide short answer, but that is really not satisfactory.

This is a a very good question and it was asked during my very first power point presentation to a "Real" group of 10 or so research people. They agreed with all my other points, though. As it is hour long interactive presentation. I answered all their question during presentation.

Regards,

Chengine

Chengine
Chengine

Friends,

Today I want to talk about clean engine and our world pollution situation.

The title of this thread is "Chen engine :a more efficient and clean engine". Both are important me. As you already know China is shrouded in auto exhaust induced smog most of the days of the year in major cities. If this is not solved, there will be no Chinese left in a few decades. And according to news, even the most beautiful city in the world Paris was one day shrouded in smog and one can hardly even see Eifel tower. Do we want to live in a world you can hardly see over three miles? I think the answer is clear. NO

It is further indisputable that these smog are produced by auto exhaust emission and autos sitting in traffic produces most emission. From my point of view the so called emission control is really a joke, at least where I live. When I go to a station for smog check with a old Mercedes, with three way catalytic converter. I never passed the smog test the first time, but I always passed the second time. This led me to believe that the entire emission control is really rigged. Your car must be running at medium speed under load for long time before it can pass smog test. This means if I just take short trips all day long, my car can pollute all it wants and yes, it is still certified smog free.

Let us take new car for example, Otto engine car spues all type of pollutant in first five minute of driving before catalytic convert warms up to do its job at 300C and now engine can be completely shut off in traffic jam. Yes, you save a little gas, but you pollute whole lot more, as the catalytic converter is cold, because your engine stopped completely.

Let us look at diesel, despite all talks of control diesel emission, heavy duty trucks still operate like squid puffing out black smokes all the time. Even so called clean diesel still produces huge amount of cancer pollutants

What is to be done? China has decided to go all electric. Will it work? I doubt it. Who can afford the 30 minutes wait if you must drive the car all day on your job, not to mention that the car is absolutely no good for trips. It is not a good solution.

Well, my friends, do not despair, Chen engine comes to the rescue just in time. As I mentioned before with air injection into exhaust cycle, it will burn off all CO and HC. According to Heywood (page 648) 50 millisecond and over 700 C is required for complete oxidation. Chen engine operates much more efficiently than normal engine, thus the exhaust temperature is higher than normal engine. Consequently Co and HC oxidize very efficiently inside the cylinders. Approximately, if the efficiency at idle is improved by 100% then the temperature of exhaust gas also doubles. Thus Chen engine would even have very clean exhaust in all phases of running. We have minimum of 600 C exhaust gas at idle and long dwell time. As the engine is at higher rpm and higher load, the temperature is higher and we still have complete oxidation, as the oxidation rate increases dramatically with temperature, and it compensates for shorter dwell time. (However, optimizing for air pollution may be different than optimizing for maximum efficiency. We need to determine the exact operating conditions).

Chen engine also should be used as Hybrid vehicle engines. The hybrid engine is low power and operating at higher efficiency but it still has to warm up and the cooling off of catalytic converter still renders it ineffective in controlling pollution.

One word of Nox. We still need NOx converter in Exhaust system of Chen engine. But the Nox produced is much less than that of diesel engine, as the temperature is still lower than that of Diesel.

If we do not want an all electric car future, Chen engine is the only solution.

Chengine

Chengine
Chengine

One word on CO2 emission:

I personally do not believe CO2 is a pollutant. Nonetheless, due to the most efficient combustion is all situations, from Idling to max load, the emitted CO2 will be at theoretical low. For many auto users this is a concern. Chen engine has most efficient combustion thus lowest CO2 output.

Chengine

autogyro
autogyro

The future will be plug in hybrid with other than Otto cycle range extended charging.
This will be overtaken eventually by all electric.
Wake up and smell the coffee.

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

You may be right, a long way off. I think the boring alternative is that in twenty years time most people will still be driving IC engines, maybe with some light hybrid features, say a 1 stop regen capacity.

Chengine
Chengine

Today I would like to get into the nuts and bolts of Chen engine. First I would like you to fetch my patent, issued less than a year ago. US Patent # 8434462. (By the way, if you do not plan to import Chen Engine into USA, this patent is public domain in countries outside USA). This patent describes how GAS injection is done.

The reason GAS injection is used is because it would have even higher efficiency than air injected system. However, it is costly to inject He or Ar, thus we are really talking about air injection for Chen Engine.

The highlight of the patent is that Patent office granted me very broad claim that "air injection into cylinder expelling exhaust gas" is this patent's intellectual right.

The few graphs showed the principle of air injection to expel exhaust gas. The injector drawing is just schematic, the actual design is rather like a conventional valve with electronic actuators. The reason is that you need this shape is to have largest gas volume in very short amount of time. We operate at Mach speed limited region.

Another point is that to conserve precious high pressure gas the best time to inject the gas in is when the piston is near TDC.
Thus , you just expel the exhaust gas in the TDC cavity. However, in reality you need to start injecting gas before top dead center. Also for pollutants CO and HC oxidation, you want to inject air just before exhaust valve opens so that you have the longest reaction time. Perhaps even when piston approaches BDC in the expansion cycle.

The rest of the patent is self explanatory.

I do want to mention that air injection is very useful during extreme loading. If you have a tiny engine in a normal size car and say you want to pass the car in front in two lane traffic. For the car that has this Chen engine, then the air injection serves as turbo boost, and it will propel your car pass the front car in extreme acceleration without turbo lag. Of course your cooling system must also synchronize to dissipate all that additional waste heat and your engine block must withstand the additional pressure. In theory, Chen engine equipped car is the cake that you can eat and keep, as long as proper engineering is done.

If the efficiency gain is not maximized, then we can have Chen engine B and Chen engine C. These two engines do not require specially made highly reliable air injector. Instead, the injector valve is just one of the exhaust valves modified for air injection purposes. The difference between B and C is for B the cam is modified so that it opens only near TDC. For the lowest cost C model, the cam opening is the same as exhaust valve opening.

The drawback of these non-optimized designs is the power consumption of the gases. The more high pressure air "wasted" in the injection the less net gain for Chen engine over conventional engine. In cases, such as motorcycle, this maybe the optimum approach however, as additional cost is very low, just a low power compressor.

Chengine

Richard
Richard

Chen, please provide links to documents and patents or the thread will be closed.

It is not appropriate to tell everyone else to find everything for you.

Chengine
Chengine

OK, I'll locate the patent link. It is fair. I am newbie to online posting.

Also to thermaldynamics, the reason I use only 2000 rpm, because Turbo charger can do very good job of purging gas above 2000 rpm. For Formula one car, with 3 ATM air pressure, assuming no back pressure, they have maximum torque peak from 1500 to the maximum. Thus the compressor power requirement is very low.

Chengine

Chengine
Chengine

My patent can be found here.

http://www.google.com/patents/US8434462

Chengine

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

So it is anti EGR? Just endgas scavenging with compressed air?